Travel insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Travel insurance

nyx

Not sure which forum this should fall under, but I'm looking into purchasing insurance travel packages for the year, instead of single trips, that's more coverage then just medical.
Something that will cover States bike trips for medical purposes, but also trip cancellation/interruption, and luggage if flying. Round package. Any recommendations or experience? What other things to look out for?
I've used and claimed single trips via CAA medical before, and bought TD travel insurance (though haven't claimed with them). TIA

I use RBC Travel insurance and I know CAA is popular. Used to use TD but RBC was less.

Check your credit cards as there may already be some interruption, baggage insurance in place and for under 65 there is often 4 days of health coverage as well.

I buy an Annual plan that covers trips up to 30 days at a stretch ...as I go for 90 days I buy a top up plan for that.

Last edited:
I started the thread below a while back after a close call. Until I did the limited research I didn't realize the con games being played by the insurers. There were con games by the policy holders as well but the insurers have the power of veto and always win.

They key fact with most policies is that they can deny coverage if they are misinformed on any question. It doesn't matter if you lied, forgot or misunderstood the question. It also doesn't matter if the item of misinformation has nothing to do with the claim.

If you failed to inform them of a wisdom tooth extraction two years ago and you fall down some stairs breaking an arm your claim may be denied. They may claim that the extraction was an operation that should have been reported.

There have been some TV news programs on the subject but the con games continue.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...rance-and-Paranoia&highlight=travel+insurance

I personally like CAA travel insurance but do your own research.

Blue Cross has something called Annual Package Plus that covers you for a whole year.

Includes medical + travel insurance, including trip interruption/cancellation and baggage insurance.

http://www.on.bluecross.ca/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-solutions/frequent-travellers

Same here, used these guys on all my trips from 20+ years ago and went back to them again this year.

Recently, had a medical incident locally, and when searching for travel insurance on my next trip, many companies denied. We used to rely on the GOLD visa for travel insurance and they will still provide full coverage for my family except for my medical condition.

after full medical disclosure, Blue Cross accepted with certain (not unreasonable) limitations that I could easily meet.

So now the family is covered on Blue Cross, and we still have the Gold Visa as back up I guess.

Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Pretty sure TD offers annual plan for Travel Medical.

My in-laws bought from RBC because they have these offices you can go and speak to an insurance advisor in person. However, their annual plan only allows for trips that do not exceed 14 days, so you may want to read the fine prints.

May want to check out Kanetix.ca and get a comparison also.

My credit card costs me $120 a year which is ridiculously expensive normally, but it covers me for multiple trips a year with full insurance, cancellation insurance, baggage and personal effects, trip delay etc. Plus I get 4 VIP lounge passes a year which I use plus all the rental car stuff too and most importantly a different line to call for any issues where I get through immediately with no holding. We used to pay $100+ for one trip for cancellation insurance for two of us so it's very much worthwhile for me. If you do multiple trips a year it saves you money. HOWEVER...on a bike this means charging most of your trip to the card, such as hotels etc. Easier for flights as you put those on and hotels and everything else. It's a decent travel points card too and you can use accrued points for travel.

You'll find tho it's limited duration multiple trips so be careful.

true..but it's pretty generous for a travel credit card, I did some comparison shopping for this one and it was the best in class. It also came with $300 free travel credits and one year fee free which was very nice. Paid for part of a Central American vacation. It's a BMO world elite MasterCard that you need to qualify for.

I started the thread below a while back after a close call. Until I did the limited research I didn't realize the con games being played by the insurers. There were con games by the policy holders as well but the insurers have the power of veto and always win.

They key fact with most policies is that they can deny coverage if they are misinformed on any question. It doesn't matter if you lied, forgot or misunderstood the question. It also doesn't matter if the item of misinformation has nothing to do with the claim.

If you failed to inform them of a wisdom tooth extraction two years ago and you fall down some stairs breaking an arm your claim may be denied. They may claim that the extraction was an operation that should have been reported.

There have been some TV news programs on the subject but the con games continue.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...rance-and-Paranoia&highlight=travel+insurance

I personally like CAA travel insurance but do your own research.

I think there was something on cbc on this topic, there was incident with rbc (?) they were talking about?
Anyway, I'm not interested in just medical but a complete package, and yes even then they have exclusions for interruption, etc based on their discretion. That's why I was hoping if anyone has first hand experience and satisfaction dealing with travel insurance they can recommend.

My credit card costs me $120 a year which is ridiculously expensive normally, but it covers me for multiple trips a year with full insurance, cancellation insurance, baggage and personal effects, trip delay etc. Plus I get 4 VIP lounge passes a year which I use plus all the rental car stuff too and most importantly a different line to call for any issues where I get through immediately with no holding. We used to pay $100+ for one trip for cancellation insurance for two of us so it's very much worthwhile for me. If you do multiple trips a year it saves you money. HOWEVER...on a bike this means charging most of your trip to the card, such as hotels etc. Easier for flights as you put those on and hotels and everything else. It's a decent travel points card too and you can use accrued points for travel.

4 vip lounge tickets for where?

Generally all major airports have lounges and if he uses the card to buy say a Qantas ticket then he'd use the Qantas VIP lounge ( very nice )

I was hoping if anyone has first hand experience and satisfaction dealing with travel insurance they can recommend.

I buy every year....

All have comprehensive packages to choose from ...you can't ask others to comment on what YOU need.

Check what your credit cards cover already.

Get quotes from other companies on what level of package you want. RBC has the right package for me just now.

4 vip lounge tickets for where?

I've found I can use nearly any VIP lounge which is nice. I used the KLM one at Pearson recently and was flying Air Transat. Very nice, most of these places have free hot food and an open bar.

Back
Top Bottom