HTA 172 is still unconstitutional -- anyone had issues with standing on pegs? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HTA 172 is still unconstitutional -- anyone had issues with standing on pegs?

The wording in the HTA refers to "ghosting" which is where a car driver sits in the passenger seat so it appears that there is no driver. It was not meant to apply to motorcyclists easing off the seat for things like railway crossings. There was a letter written, from the minister of transport to a biker in response to an inquiry, stating that the stunting law was not meant to be interpreted that way but I don't know if it would hold much weight with a cop if produced at the right time? Attitude would play a big part here.

And therein lies the problem; the administrative suspension and impound are irrecoverable, and if anyone remembers Mr. Mahoney-Bruer, there is little hope of any real punishment for officers in abuse of this legislation.

Last edited:
Was pulled over for that last summer. Stood just long enough to unstick certain bits from other parts. When I asked the constables if she wanted to be the first female officer in York Region to find a guy for cooling his nuts, she let it go. Strange but true.

The wording in the HTA refers to "ghosting" which is where a car driver sits in the passenger seat so it appears that there is no driver. It was not meant to apply to motorcyclists easing off the seat for things like railway crossings. There was a letter written, from the minister of transport to a biker in response to an inquiry, stating that the stunting law was not meant to be interpreted that way but I don't know if it would hold much weight with a cop if produced at the right time? Attitude would play a big part here.

Was pulled over for that last summer. Stood just long enough to unstick certain bits from other parts. When I asked the constables if she wanted to be the first female officer in York Region to find a guy for cooling his nuts, she let it go. Strange but true.

The abuse is real. Just an excuse to pull you over and look for infractions.

s.172 threats are tossed about to dissuade you from any protest.

Although I am 100% against s172, the courts have ruled it to be constitutional, so there will be no constitutional challenge available, and yes charter challenges are VERY VERY expensive.

Having said all that, I haven't heard of anyone getting dinged for s172 on a dirt bike on a dirt road, Might be a whole different story if you were standing on the pegs on a 400 series highway.

I've been working to improve my technique on rough roads, especially easy now that I've got a KLR650. Of course, one major technique, especially on dirt roads, is standing on the pegs.

Anecdotal evidence shows people getting charged with stunting with roadside seizure ($$$$ impound) and 7 day license suspensions. Charges may be dropped in court, but no reimbursement for the huge fees incurred without trial. Just reading these threads make me incredibly angry, even non-motorcyclists who, after the prosecution fails to prove them guilty, are out *thousands* of dollars with no recourse.

What is the state of standing on pegs these days, and has anything been done to address this law? Constitutional challenges are probably pretty expensive, but it's just terrifying to have this threat at the whim of a cop's bad day.

As standing on the pegs is useful for roughs roads, bumps, potholes and is still a recommended technique in the MTO Motorcycle Handbook, I'm gonna do it anyway.

The OP really did not qualify what he, or the cops (to warrant the charge), or the courts (to warrant the conviction) consider standing on the pegs to be. All he said was "anecdotal evidence." Do we have knowledge of what the cops evidence was?

The umbrella word to capture the essence of HTA s.172 is, 'Stunt.' So, standing on the pegs for a quick stretch, or to see over a car, or to absorb a bump all while keeping hands on the bars would in my opinion not warrant a charge from any cop or a conviction in court. Now (while standing on the pegs) simply let go of the handlebars. Voila: 'Stunt.'

The OP really did not qualify what he, or the cops (to warrant the charge), or the courts (to warrant the conviction) consider standing on the pegs to be. All he said was "anecdotal evidence." Do we have knowledge of what the cops evidence was?

The umbrella word to capture the essence of HTA s.172 is, 'Stunt.' So, standing on the pegs for a quick stretch, or to see over a car, or to absorb a bump all while keeping hands on the bars would in my opinion not warrant a charge from any cop or a conviction in court. Now (while standing on the pegs) simply let go of the handlebars. Voila: 'Stunt.'

Of course it doesn't warrant a charge. That's not the point - you're reading into the spirit of the law, which may matter to a judge but a cop does not have to care. Hell, you don't have to be doing anything and a cop could still stick you with a bogus charge. It won't result in a conviction, but you've already been dealt some prejudicial punishment

Last edited:
Of course it doesn't warrant a charge. That's not the point - you're reading into the spirit of the law, which may matter to a judge but a cop does not have to care. Hell, you don't have to be doing anything and a cop could still stick you with a bogus charge. It won't stick, but you've already been dealt some prejudicial punishment

And it's happened many times, on and off the record. That's the thing that really irks me... once they get a power, they do everything to keep it.

Sounds like every frackin' person on the planet. LOL.
Agreed. Pretty much everyone.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I did not read all the posts.
A simple view of this. You are charged, you go to court, you are found not guilty.
not guilty= you are not at fault
THEREFORE why can't you get your fees back?
You are supposed to be made whole therefore you are supposed to be at the point just before you stopped for the police.

no??

I did not read all the posts.
A simple view of this. You are charged, you go to court, you are found not guilty.
not guilty= you are not at fault
THEREFORE why can't you get your fees back?
You are supposed to be made whole therefore you are supposed to be at the point just before you stopped for the police.

no??

.... and with cops commonly acting like the one in the video below

[video=youtube;oZPWYd07h-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPWYd07h-A[/video]

That cop is under some kind of duress. That's not normal.

There is a huge dip in front of the police station just south of the airport on Convair. My little bike with stiff suspension does not like this. Or rather the impact on my balls is unpleasant. I stand on my pegs over that every time and they haven't pulled me over there yet.

I'm of the opinion that since a wide variety of motorcycles were designed to be operated while sitting on the seat or standing on the operator's pegs, standing up while riding doesn't constitute a stunt. As mentioned in an earlier post, if you stand on the pegs and go hands-free, I'm pretty sure any JP would find that unacceptable. I can't think of a circumstance where any reasonable person would do that.

I'm of the opinion that since a wide variety of motorcycles were designed to be operated while sitting on the seat or standing on the operator's pegs, standing up while riding doesn't constitute a stunt. As mentioned in an earlier post, if you stand on the pegs and go hands-free, I'm pretty sure any JP would find that unacceptable. I can't think of a circumstance where any reasonable person would do that.

I think most reasonable, read progressive liberal, people would agree that's a deadly combination if there ever was one. Not on the order of bank robber cum chopper guru Indian Larry who broke the nasty habit of standing on the seat hands free one sweltering carnival evening. Motorcycling continues to have an interesting past, present and future.

I got pulled over once for swerving in my lane. I had to explain I was approaching an intersection and did not trust the driver waiting to make a left so in order to break the "motion camouflage" of my bike against the background (SMIDSY) I used this technique. The cop was either impressed or baffled and let me go. I'm sure though that had I been younger or less convincing, I would have gotten a ticket. Score one for grey beards!

commonly acting like this??

all i see is a beeb happy cam punk wonder who ended up beeping at the wrong person, who then stepped out & said hello

since when is honking at others to get off their cellphones something that anyone condones?

oh btw, kid doesn't wanna argue but i guess he doesn't know basics then like stfu
.... and with cops commonly acting like the one in the video below

[video=youtube;oZPWYd07h-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPWYd07h-A[/video]

Last edited:
lol, applies to you too doncha know :p
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
, whoever anointed you almighty??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom