9.75 points for sticking the landing | GTAMotorcycle.com

9.75 points for sticking the landing

MacDoc

Site Supporter
170506d1468713671-no-more-vstrom-img_1783.jpg

Not only did the bike pull a spectacular landing....the rider vaulted entirely over the car and had minor injuries considering the nature of the crash.

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while but still been lurking.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that last Thursday I had an off on my VStrom. Must have lost concentration and didn't see the car in front of me stop to turn into a driveway. I don't recall seeing any brakes lights or indication either but I did have glare from the sun coming off my mirrors.

Anyway, I hit the back of the car and was vaulted over the top. Landed on my left side. The good news is that I suffered no broken bones or fractures. My neck and back are fine but I have one hell of a sore left hip and leg, a bit of a sore chest and some rather impressive bruising on my inner thighs.

The bad news is the VStrom has been de-beaked though I think I get some good points for how it landed.

I'm feeling good, I only spent the day in hospital and am hobbling around on crutches slowly. My wife was riding behind me on her Ninja and saw most of it, she also said she didn't see the car until the last second. All paperwork has been done except I still have to give my statement to the police but I am expecting a fine of some sort.

I must admit I spent a lot of the time in the ER thinking about a new bike hahaha, is that a bad thing?

Anyway, just wanted to keep you guys in the loop, you really helped me when I first got the VStrom with rides and tips and I appreciate it. I didn't get to any meetups but I had been on some good long rides to Jindabyne and up to Port Stephens and Mudgee so had really got to know how much a of a good touring bike she was.

I'll upload a shot of the bike as it landed, you'l laugh your head off!

http://www.stromtrooper.com/australia-new-zealand/336482-no-more-vstrom.html

we can't view pics/vids from you vstrom forum without being a member.... you would have to save them them post here

**edit** thanks Matt..... you must ave posted while i was typing lol

Kinda surprised to see USD forks on a V-Strom... must have taken some doing to find something to match the ride height/travel

Edit: Factory equipment on DL1000 2014-on

Last edited:
They are OEM installed. I saw one in Belfountain yesterday. Ridden by a prison guard. I think.

...you're right. I looked before I made that comment, and I thought Suzuki just straight up discontinued the DL1000... but it came back in 2014 and it has those forks. Those two years went by way too quickly

...you're right. I looked before I made that comment, and I thought Suzuki just straight up discontinued the DL1000... but it came back in 2014 and it has those forks. Those two years went by way too quickly

The refresh of V Strom didn't get the attention it deserved. It's supposed to be a pretty good bike. Not flash tho.

That's one impressive roll of the dice. If that rider had been wearing the top-box, he wouldn't even have those sexy bruises.

Last edited:
This is why I don't care to leave driveways open in stop and go traffic.
People think I am being mean, but I am just trying to prevent these types of accidents.

Hope all those involved in that walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lead rider might have spotted the car were he in the left track (correct blocking position). It's amazing how few riders seem aware of it. Cars do the same sort of "Peekaboo!" all the time on Davenport. Be suspicious of any gap like that in Toronto--sometimes it's just an inattentive driver, but not always. The real crazies just peel out from between the gaps, no looking at all. *shivers*

Almost had that happen to me on Don Mills. Riding the diamond/right lane and traffic as usual was bumper to bumper in the other lanes. Fortunately I saw the gap and the car making the left off Don Mills in time to brake. In this situation it was better not to be in the blocking position. I switch from the left track to the right every so often when approaching openings in traffic to give me more reaction time and to see.

Lead rider might have spotted the car were he in the left track (correct blocking position). It's amazing how few riders seem aware of it. Cars do the same sort of "Peekaboo!" all the time on Davenport. Be suspicious of any gap like that in Toronto--sometimes it's just an inattentive driver, but not always. The real crazies just peel out from between the gaps, no looking at all. *shivers*

ouch., That was brutal. Hope the riders are ok

Back
Top Bottom