27yr old Whitby man loses leg, has other partially amputated at Cayuga today :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

27yr old Whitby man loses leg, has other partially amputated at Cayuga today :(

GWS Rider...
Said it happened at 9pm, so I'm guessing it was the drag strip??
I'm not sure the road course has lights...

Ahhh, I thought it said 9am! So last night it happened. For sure no lights on the road course so probably wouldn't have been riding on there that late.

It is still daylight close to 9pm, It could be a track day.

Was there any yesterday?

** Check the Fallen Rider Thread **

Just checked the TMP website.. says there was " Take it to the Track " Test & Tune (7pm-11pm) " -- Test & Tunes are usually drag strip as far as I know.

According to their schedule it was a test & tune event on the strip.

Get well soon, man.

Last edited:
Wow, just got a call from a friend who was at the strip with his car when it happened :( Was riding a Ninja 600. When the rider let off the throttle at the end of the 1/4 mile run he got into a bad speed wobble, took a hard turn, crossed the center line and pretty much went head on into the cement barrier on the opposite side of the track.

There was NO medical staff on site and it took the ambulance 40 minutes to arrive.

I hope he recovers as much as is possible. I sent Dave the link in case he is able to provide some moral support and/or help him get a bike setup once he recovers (if he chooses to keep riding).

GWS

40 minutes!

There was NO medical staff on site and it took the ambulance 40 minutes to arrive.

Get set for a big law suit on that one. I can't think of too many track events where there wasn't some form of medical aid on site, even if only at a basic EMS level. Appalling if there wasn't anything on hand at TMP that night, especially given it's remoteness from major centers and medical facilities.

There *is* an EMS station ~7 minutes away, right in Cayuga. I wonder what happened there

Get set for a big law suit on that one.

Can't get blood out of a stone. If there is an insurance company involved, they'll probably try anyhow. The facility was under power of sale some years ago, and it didn't sell, which I suspect means that there's more debt than the assets are worth, and the bank owns the place. Could be messy.

I can't think of too many track events where there wasn't some form of medical aid on site, even if only at a basic EMS level. Appalling if there wasn't anything on hand at TMP that night, especially given it's remoteness from major centers and medical facilities.

Yes, it's pretty sad. Although there is EMS in Cayuga, there's no telling whether they were tied up with other matters already. For road course events with reputable organizers, there is medical staff on site who are paid to be there, so that this sort of thing doesn't happen. The organizer of the event - in our cases, not the track itself - is responsible for arranging that (and this is likely to separate the ownership of the property from the events that take place there). But for those drag strip events, I think it's the track itself that puts those on. TMP (and Shannonville) do their own track days on their respective road courses, also.

There *is* an EMS station ~7 minutes away, right in Cayuga. I wonder what happened there

Maybe a busy Friday night? How much service redundancy would a small center like Cayuga have on hand? Still, 40 minutes really makes you wonder. Reciprocal agreements with neighbouring centers should have provided a source of back-up faster than 40 minutes off.

Even so, the track should still have had medical staff on site if they were running high speed activities.

GWS rider

I would suggest we refrain from judging the response time of the local EMS based on second hand account. Not implying any ill intent in the story telling; more so the chance that it may have seemed like it took forever while you're sitting there looking a someone in distress with no help in site. It has a way of making time stand still...

...Yeah, not having on site medical is not ideal to say the least.

Re: 27yr old Whitby man loses leg, has other partially amputated at Cayuga yesterday

Yeah am sure if AMS were available they wouldn't have chosen to just wait it out.

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

Re: 27yr old Whitby man loses leg, has other partially amputated at Cayuga yesterday

Yeah am sure if AMS were available they wouldn't have chosen to just wait it out.

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

what a terrible tragedy. i find it very odd that there was no ambulance on site for the event.
could this happen at a TD? i mean, NOT having an ambulance on site for the event. is there not an ambulance on site with all TD providers? correct me if i'm wrong.

what a terrible tragedy. i find it very odd that there was no ambulance on site for the event.
could this happen at a TD? i mean, NOT having an ambulance on site for the event. is there not an ambulance on site with all TD providers? correct me if i'm wrong.
It was on the drag strip. You were allowed to wear jeans and running shoes last time i was there.

(re: sneakers) What? That doesn't sound safe. No gear nazis there?

I'm curious as to how this wouldn't be a call for Orange air transport. 40 minutes is unconscionable.

Back
Top Bottom