Newb Passenger looking for Ride-alongs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newb Passenger looking for Ride-alongs

Napster90

Hello there!

I am looking to meet experienced motorcyclists who are willing to take an extra passenger with them. I was introduced this site by a friend who said this community would have safe drivers who could fix my itch.

I have ridden as a passenger a handful of times, but still very new. I don't have any gear, so if you're willing I would also have to borrow a helmet. The circumference of my head is 22 inches.

I'm a huge fan of crotch rockets - nothing against Harleys, some people like chocolate and I like really cool looking bikes.

I live north of the city, but work in North York. If interested please message me back!

Last edited:
Just be careful Ellie. Lots of great and experienced people on here. Also a lot of new and inexperienced people who think they're more knowledgeable and capable than they actually are.

Take your car to motorcycle socials and meet people like that. Get to know them, become friends, then decide if you want to ride on the back of their bikes.

Check out L&L on Thursday nights. Biker Boyz Blocko might also be what you're looking for.

And consider getting your own helmet, as well as gloves, jacket, pants and boots.

-Signed Dad ;)

(no not really)

But Dad you never bought me a motorcycle! Hahaa, thank you very much for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind. I have a few individuals I ride with already, but it's always nice to meet new people.

Have a great weekend Dad, and don't have too many beers you know how mom gets... ;D

@Napster90 depending on where "north of the city", you could come out to BurritoBoyz in Vaughan on Wednesday. But also be careful with choices as @DECIMIS said.

Signed Someone else's Dad

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

BurritoBoyz as in the mexican restaurant? I didn't know that was a hot spot where motorcyclists congregated. What does L&L stand for?

Yes. More pseudo Mexican imo. Tuesdays in Port Credit. Wednesday in Vaughan.
L&L is Leslie & Lakeshore meet, iirc. Thursday nights.

No offense, but looking to hop on some random person's bike, with no gear of your own, is not the best of ideas. At the very least, I'd go buy my own helmet and maybe a jacket and gloves...if costs are a concern check out Regear in Oshawa and find a lightly-used item (and a new helmet, maybe one on clearance).

That said, how come you don't pursue a bike of your own? I've never understood the whole "I like bikes but I only want to sit on the back" sort of thing, unless it comes down to money/costs.

Hey! No offense taken. Main reason for lack of investing in gear is because of money...I'm not sure if this is simply a phase where I am having a quarter-life crisis or if I am really going to get into it. I don't want to buy something only for me to outgrow the sport.

As for not pursuing a bike of my own...same thing as the gear, but also I just don't like driving. I just have terrible hand-coordination, terrible sense of direction... I get more frustrated driving then anything else. So I am hoping to meet people see if this will become a passion. I've only started this summer, so I am trying to see where it takes me. Besides, not everyone likes having a passenger... getting gear and not getting rides, it would be very disappointing.

No offense, but looking to hop on some random person's bike

The gear comes secondary to this.

Sorry, I would not put my life in the hands of someone (or possible questionable skill, judgement, or both) that I just met online or at a fast food restaurant.

Yes. More pseudo Mexican imo. Tuesdays in Port Credit. Wednesday in Vaughan.
L&L is Leslie & Lakeshore meet, iirc. Thursday nights.

Dad#2 that actually sounds a bit scary. Thursday night meeting a bunch of riders, asking them newb questions. I'll see if I can get someone whose part of the scene to go with me.

The gear comes secondary to this.

Sorry, I would not put my life in the hands of someone (or possible questionable skill, judgement, or both) that I just met online or at a fast food restaurant.

I know exactly what you mean. I usually converse with the person first. I'm not looking for crazy speed, I don't take boasters, I let them know what I'm looking for. So far the people I've met have been very respectful of my limits and I have been good in listening to what they need from me as a passenger (i.e. when they stop, turn and speed up). We go for slow practice rounds to see whether I am picking up on the techniques before we go on the highway. I don't think anyone is truly out there hoping to test fate.

I appreciate the concern. Wish me luck :)

@Napster90 I would stay off the highway, but that's just me. Fwiw, I should be at the Vaughan meet this Wednesday, if that helps.

Going in eyes wide open is good, but I'm just saying....when it comes to motorcycles not all is as it may appear from the onset - ie seems to be good rider until something happens that requires skill and then things go downhill (failure to negotiate a corner for example since they're not accustomed to the different handling of their bike with a passenger), or rides responsibly in one scenario but then suddenly goes Jeckyl and Hyde on you (decides to race someone on the 401, for example) when you're already along for the ride and can't do anything about it.

Not saying that this is the default scenario, just saying that it's a possibility worthy of consideration. I'd want to have some rapport with the person (beyond a burrito and 20 minutes of conversation) before I'd ever consider allowing anyone I know to go on the back with them.

Going in eyes wide open is good, but I'm just saying....when it comes to motorcycles not all is as it may appear from the onset - ie seems to be good rider until something happens that requires skill and then things go downhill (failure to negotiate a corner for example since they're not accustomed to the different handling of their bike with a passenger), or rides responsibly in one scenario but then suddenly goes Jeckyl and Hyde on you (decides to race someone on the 401, for example) when you're already along for the ride and can't do anything about it.

Not saying that this is the default scenario, just saying that it's a possibility worthy of consideration. I'd want to have some rapport with the person (beyond a burrito and 20 minutes of conversation) before I'd ever consider allowing anyone I know to go on the back with them.

This too. I've seen people go down on rides, and in some cases it was the 2up that did them in. Something happened, and the rider couldn't prevent things or save the bike due to the increased variables (eg. additional weight, them leaning trying to save the bike while the passenger sat up straight or leaned the wrong way, etc).

@Napster -- Also, my comment about picking up gear didn't really have anything to do with if you will want to keep riding...it had to do with your own personal safety. Spending maybe a total of $500 on a helmet that is new and fits you properly, plus some skin protection (that you can potentially sell in future if you wish) could prevent a whole lot of hurt...especially when you aren't even in control of what is happening. Reminds me of that one girl who is a huge ATGATT advocate after a guy pulled a wheelie and she fell off the back...end results were not pretty to say the least.

Gotta love your analogies. I usually converse by email first before meeting in person. What would you recommend? I'll check out the options on helmets.

Gotta love your analogies. I usually converse by email first before meeting in person. What would you recommend? I'll check out the options on helmets.

With helmets, pretty much anything that is a brand name full-face DOT approved helmet. Price doesn't hugely matter, as the saying goes, a $100 helmet that fits well will protect better than a $900 one that doesn't, assuming all other aspects are equal (eg. both are DOT and both are full face).

Same can't fully be said for other gear, but it isn't that uncommon to see a good brand name textile jacket either on sale or used for $100, and gloves around the $50 mark. Even if both aren't the greatest, something is better than nothing, 99% of the time. Also I'd like to think most reasonable people with a mind for safety would be more willing to take a 2up if they had their own gear, as it shows they do care about their own safety and have put some thought into things as well.

Last edited:
The GTAM community here is reasonably tight knit and there are very skilled and responsible riders here with real credibility - I'd seek them out and see if they'd entertain your request vs just going with whomever has the shiniest/coolest/newest/most powerful bike at a meetup somewhere.

I hope nobody here takes offence, but really, your safety should come first - motorcycle wrecks hurt, there's also lots of people here (myself included) who will agree on that point if nothing else.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to go shopping around and see what I can get:p

Last edited:
Hello there!

I am looking to meet experienced motorcyclists who are willing to take an extra passenger with them. I was introduced this site by a friend who said this community would have safe drivers who could fix my itch.

I have ridden as a passenger a handful of times, but still very new. I don't have any gear, so if you're willing I would also have to borrow a helmet. The circumference of my head is 22 inches.

I'm a huge fan of crotch rockets - nothing against Harleys, some people like chocolate and I like really cool looking bikes.

I live north of the city, but work in North York. If interested please message me back!

I think a few other dimensions would be valuable as well. Are you 300 lbs and 6'6", or 5'0, and 100 lbs? Not trying to be superficial, its a relevant question. Would definitely be a deciding factor for me.

The GTAM community here is reasonably tight knit and there are very skilled and responsible riders here with real credibility - I'd seek them out and see if they'd entertain your request vs just going with whomever has the shiniest/coolest/newest/most powerful bike at a meetup somewhere.

I hope nobody here takes offence, but really, your safety should come first - motorcycle wrecks hurt, there's also lots of people here (myself included) who will agree on that point if nothing else.

Yes... You guys have been lovely so far. I've never had so many Dads before. Hahaa Seriously though I appreciate the advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom