I've done it now - RSV4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I've done it now - RSV4

Shaman

Bought a RSV4 RF to race in 2017. A bike I can trust, sounds good to me.

So... anyone here that has prepped one of these bikes before? The bike itself needs nothing except suspension setup. Literally nothing. I'll probably get a slip-on or full exhaust just to lighten it up some more, I don't need more than 180whp+ for Shannonville, hard enough to use what it has. :)

So far I am looking at Woodcraft GP pegs, trying to decide on fairings. I would like to put Pro Fiber fairings on it as they are about the same price as everyone else's fiberglas fairings, but a heck of a lot nicer looking.

Goal is to get under 415lbs race weight and in the 185whp range, with z04 brake pads and possibly the addition of the race valving in the rear suspension. I have the WSST settings for the bike which transform an already racy bike into the real thing (need a collar and pull the shock to reset length, that's it).

Not looking to prove anything but ... word from they who know is that it's a lot cheaper to put this bike on track than a ZX10R. Looking at what is needed, I believe it. I'll be under $30K after taxes including paint, spares and prep.

Valmoto built a pretty competitive MV F3.
I wonder if they ever tinkered with the rsv?

A few pics to get started. I don't mind posting up my build sheet (most of the bike remains stock, mostly convenience and rider mods).

Pulled the bikes out of the trailer after servicing the street RF and picking up the new bike, also took in a day with RedDawn at TMP on Thursday. As this is likely the last time the bike will be stock-looking, I took some pictures with its sibling.

DdWUluJ.jpg

CEdxoMl.jpg

hVFxdyF.jpg

SpEy494.jpg

B0nNl7L.jpg

9Mmf1Rw.jpg

Race ECU

RaK3iKe.jpg

Might have her out on Friday. We'll see.

jGiuS9E.jpg

I still own more Suzukis than Aprilias. LOL

Look up Jason (NOBLEGT3) on the Canadian section of Rennlist (Porsche Board). He tracks his factory - seems to know what he is doing.

@Shaman are all 7 of those bikes yours? I saw one of your old Aprillas at one of the BurritoBoyz meets. Immaculate condition.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Yes, but this new bike is owned by my company. It will be properly set up, painted company colors with logo and professionally photographed for advertising. Then I'll race it next year and likely will eventually purchase it. Big thanks to George at Corsa for making the decision easier with a big discount on the bike. I will name no numbers but he has an interest in seeing the bikes raced and I'll be putting livery on the bike to thank Corsa for making it possible.

Bought a RSV4 RF to race in 2017. A bike I can trust, sounds good to me.

So... anyone here that has prepped one of these bikes before? The bike itself needs nothing except suspension setup. Literally nothing. I'll probably get a slip-on or full exhaust just to lighten it up some more, I don't need more than 180whp+ for Shannonville, hard enough to use what it has. :)

So far I am looking at Woodcraft GP pegs, trying to decide on fairings. I would like to put Pro Fiber fairings on it as they are about the same price as everyone else's fiberglas fairings, but a heck of a lot nicer looking.

Goal is to get under 415lbs race weight and in the 185whp range, with z04 brake pads and possibly the addition of the race valving in the rear suspension. I have the WSST settings for the bike which transform an already racy bike into the real thing (need a collar and pull the shock to reset length, that's it).

Not looking to prove anything but ... word from they who know is that it's a lot cheaper to put this bike on track than a ZX10R. Looking at what is needed, I believe it. I'll be under $30K after taxes including paint, spares and prep.

I used Catalyst Body work. Fit is good, but the tail section is tight. My painter loved the quality. Also it crashes fairly well lol. I bought them from Blue Streak Racing for a great price. Unfortunaltely Catalyst does not sell a Superbike tail though. I am also using the woodcraft clip ons and the GP Pegs; and am really happy with the quality of those as well.
Regarding the body work, as you probably know, you will need to relocate the rectifier. I was able to bring it to the right hand side of the bike and bolt it directly to the frame with some small vibration isolation behind it. The wiring is long enough so that you will not have to modify it. You will also need to bypass the kick stand. AF1 sells a cheap plug which makes it clean. I also reccommend HSBK or Huston Super Bike for parts too. They have been really successful this year is motoamerica and have great service.

Thanks for the tips, JPR. I knew about relocation but hadn't figured out where, exactly. Will look at the right side. I also have to move the Bluetooth module I think, as it is right by/above the fusebox. Some things to suss out with this bike for sure. Nothing new really, just haven't done it to date - I have about 8 months to get it right.

I have just been riding the z04 pads this year and LOOOOVE them.

Call Steph at 613. A guy in ottawa here got one all decked out. He can give you some feedback on what the guy has had to say about specifics.

PS. Congrats on the new toy. I am sure you will enjoy it and it will be more reliable than your current stallions.

Suspension testing. Got down to semi-competitive lap times with old tires, stock pegs, stock bodywork, etc. etc. Having GP shift would net me seconds a lap as I really don't gel well with standard shift on track. Downshifts while braking feel totally unnatural and the stock bike brakes *HARD* without even Z04 pads. Brembo M4.32s for the win. ABS never pulled any brake pressure even entering Allan's with the rear wheel floated.

i.php

i.php

Hopefully I will get to strip her down and fit the new plastics yet this fall before the heaters have to come out. :)

Got to get some aftermarket levers for my hand size, apparently Italians have giant hands. Also, I need to move the right hand master banjo so that I can angle the brake lever down further to prevent wrist strain.

Using 25mm rear sag, 34mm front sag (but it needs springs as preload is all the way in), 320mm eye-to-eye shock length. Moving forks to 8mm from top of cap to yoke as I've now tried them at 12mm and it felt a bit like the bike is moving away from me at corner entry, gives a false sense of tire slip. I solved this with the 600s and to an extent with the 1000 in the same way. When I lower the weight of the bike by about 35# and hopefully myself by 10# next year, hopefully preload in the front will come back out a bit for purposes of braking stability or I'll have to change springs. Current 1.05 front and rear. These settings aren't a bad base for the older bikes, either.

I may have to add a bit of trail with front collars - we'll see... trail is in the 100mm area with the front up and also a little concerned that there won't be enough anti-squat when I go -1/+2 sprockets and 572mm swingarm length. Will have to get the numbers crunched.

Last edited:
A few things... the fairings came in. Have stripped all the fairings and some minor things, and relocated the rectifier. Still undecided on the bluetooth module - I may transfer it to my LE street bike instead of using it, as the unit can data-log but there's nothing currently that I know of which can use the logged data outside the $10K USD+ APX2 unit and software, which is weird since then you'd have the APX2 control module as well anyways.

The fairings are from MotoX Ricambi, fully painted and come with required mounting hardware + Dzus fasteners, but it's up to me to install those. They weren't cheap but if you started with decent CRC fairings and painted them, it would probably be about the same amount of money. I figure it was $1600 a set, luckily that's being covered by the company sponsor.

One set is for show and spares, the other set is for racing. So if you see the ones with APRILIA on the side at the track, then I've crashed the bike probably. :(

Full "show" set. The colours didn't pick up well.

KimH5qd.jpg

"Show" spares set:

gTCPMo4.jpg

TpsIbJU.jpg

"Race" set:

Kr2DwBh.jpg

I3Ksd1K.jpg

Very. The paintwork is excellent - clearcoat over the stickers you see, and the material is stiff but flexible enough it shouldn't just blow apart. All the bolt areas are kevlar-reinforced. Initial fitting says they fit perfectly as well.

Very. The paintwork is excellent - clearcoat over the stickers you see, and the material is stiff but flexible enough it shouldn't just blow apart. All the bolt areas are kevlar-reinforced :thumbright:. Initial fitting says they fit perfectly as well.

I have a set of auctmarts where a bolt hole without much plastic around it has essentially disintegrated. As well as the fit being less than ideal. The tabs are too thick for the slots in some areas, yet brittle.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts once they're installed.

CRC, MotoX seem to be the best ones around. ProFiber seems to have disappeared - not answering mail or phone. Bad juju as I know some people (Mike Raniowski is one) who had some on order there.

These are what you want. 15kg savings over fiberglas fairings!!!

jhV6fnX.jpg

LUVLNGG.jpg

Only $5600 USD. :/

This is the bike in a "test" race.

[video=youtube;Em8iXOS8Nzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em8iXOS8Nzw[/video]

Back
Top Bottom