New to Riding - Honda cbr125 question | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to Riding - Honda cbr125 question

Dannyj

Hey all,

First off, I haven't even started riding yet but was looking to get a 2008 Honda cbr125 as my first bike.

This is a purely aesthetic question - what would it take to give the bike the "naked" look? (If that's the right word). Is it something you could do with zero maintenance experience? How much would it cost? Etc.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Hey all,

First off, I haven't even started riding yet but was looking to get a 2008 Honda cbr125 as my first bike.

This is a purely aesthetic question - what would it take to give the bike the "naked" look? (If that's the right word). Is it something you could do with zero maintenance experience? How much would it cost? Etc.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

My 2c: Why not just ride it, learn, polish skills etc on a relatively unmolested bike that you can easily pass on to the next rider in a year or two? I'm not generally of the mindset that bigger is always better but I feel pretty sure you won't want to keep a CBR125 for very long. YMMV, of course, but generally speaking, most daily rides are 300cc or bigger because they're more capable in traffic and on the highways. (Some guys will tell you even a 300 is something you'll want to move on from in short order...)

It seems like a fool's errand to start down a path of "nakedifying" a faired bike -- removing parts, trying to hide wiring and other bits and pieces etc -- you may not end up keeping very long anyway.

Get the 125, practice and improve your ride-craft and then, when the time is right and conditions are favorable, move on to a factory-made naked bike.

What Blackfin said - ride it, have fun with it (they're indestructible) then move along.

"Naked"-ifying a bike is really easy. Start removing fairings and shields and stop when you no longer have supports for important bits such as your headlights and turn indicators. You will really feel the wind against you without a fairing. The movement is similar to "Chopping" a bike, but requires less technical skills. Often riders crash their bikes, smash their fairings and have no choice but to "naked"ify their bike. You could do this early if you wish.

Time and money if you want to do it right. That said, just keep the 125 as is...you need every ounce of aerodynamics that bike has, and when you decide on bike number 2, look for a naked streetbike.

Time and money if you want to do it right. That said, just keep the 125 as is...you need every ounce of aerodynamics that bike has, and when you decide on bike number 2, look for a naked streetbike.

^^ This. Don't mess with the 125. It's a fun little thing that's not gonna get you laid either way.

"Naked"-ifying a bike is really easy. Start removing fairings and shields and stop when you no longer have supports for important bits such as your headlights and turn indicators. You will really feel the wind against you without a fairing. The movement is similar to "Chopping" a bike, but requires less technical skills. Often riders crash their bikes, smash their fairings and have no choice but to "naked"ify their bike. You could do this early if you wish.

Yes it is easy - just crash it! seriously I agree with the others here- ride it as is. making it naked will just de-value the bike come re-sell it time.

Back
Top Bottom