Motorcycle insurance for chinese bikes?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle insurance for chinese bikes??

I assume you have insurance for your other vehicles, your house etc.
Call your broker. Don't threaten him or her.
Inform them that if they are not prepared to insure this bike, you will be taking your business elsewhere.
You may have to settle for reduced coverage, like just personal liability.
This is one of the reasons you are having trouble.
No one in Ontario has ever heard of this bike, so they don't know what it would cost to repair it.

So an ultimatum? From a position of weakness? Insurers and brokers expect a certain degree of churn, so it won't spook them.

@statsman They don't care if you leave. Does it look like they are going out of business?
This idea of I am leaving does nothing to the insurance companies.

I think they have a built in system where they do not compete with each other and select the business they want by weeding you out.
It like spinning the thing with the ball in it and watch it go to the corner it lands on when it stops spinning.

@Flywheel....I was wondering the same thing, lol

Lifan is a very popular and well respected brand in China. They are everywhere and are one of the top domestic brands.

The horizontal 4 speed Lifan engines (90cc - 125cc) are a true classic. There are many knock offs but these are the real deal. It is one of my life's major disappointments that none of the respected Euro brands never built a 500cc+ air cooled roadster, complete with porcupine head fins, using this engine configuration. Any way, back on topic, what's with the dooshy ad?

Last edited:
The horizontal 4 speed Lifan engines (90cc - 125cc) are a true classic. There are many knock offs but these are the real deal. It is one of my life's major disappointments that none of the respected Euro brands never built a 500cc+ air cooled roadster, complete with porcupine head fins, using this engine configuration. Any way, back on topic, what's with the dooshy ad?

Give it another day or 2 and the GTAM detective squad will find out where he lives too, lol

Look at the bike's VIN label. On it or beside it, should be a circular label with a maple-leaf outline and the letters "CMVSS" on it. It looks like this:

CRC1038_ef001.png

Doesn't have one? you're screwed. It's not a road-legal vehicle. Buyer beware.

Has one? Take a picture of the entire VIN label including this sticker and take it to your insurance broker. If no insurance company has information on it, you may be stuck with facility insurance (expensive) but it should be an insurable vehicle. "Insurable" is not necessarily "inexpensively insurable". BUT ...

On anything made in China ... there is the possibility that any documentation (such as that sticker) is forged. If the above small investigation reveals that the bike has compliance documentation but it isn't legit ... contact Transport Canada, who ought to be interested in going after the importer.

That sounds like a challenge.

I love a good challenge.

Guy posted on canaduangunnutz about his ins woes on this bike. .. lol.

I believe he's in Alberta.

Someone there suggested he ask on GTAM..

Douchery or not, it's nice to get a challenging question like this once in a while. There is an importer on eBay warning of incomplete / forged documents with these bikes. Caveat emptor. Being hunted by GTAM is not a good thing...which for you translates to caveat venditor. You'll be hunted til you write an honest ad. Use it as a dirtbike and take your lumps.

Last edited:
Guy posted on canaduangunnutz about his ins woes on this bike. .. lol.

I believe he's in Alberta.

Someone there suggested he ask on GTAM..
Pics in his ad have all Ontario vehicle plates, and the ad says Cornwall.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

@statsman They don't care if you leave. Does it look like they are going out of business?
This idea of I am leaving does nothing to the insurance companies.

I think they have a built in system where they do not compete with each other and select the business they want by weeding you out.
It like spinning the thing with the ball in it and watch it go to the corner it lands on when it stops spinning.

@Flywheel....I was wondering the same thing, lol

This is why you deal with an independent agent for your insurance.
Your business will be far more important for an agent than for a large company.
As an independent they can find the insurance somewhere.

So an ultimatum? From a position of weakness? Insurers and brokers expect a certain degree of churn, so it won't spook them.

If you had read the post, you would see I wrote not to threaten.
Therefore, no ultimatum.
On the other hand, if you hired a painter to paint your bedroom and you told him to paint it gray and he painted it red,
Would you hire the same painter to paint your living room?
It is not a position of strength or weakness.
I'm the customer. If you choose not to supply a service for my money, I will find someone who will.
There is far too much of this these days. We knuckle under to big corporations.
They are supposed to be submitting to us.

Last edited:
This is why you deal with an independent agent for your insurance.
Your business will be far more important for an agent than for a large company.
As an independent they can find the insurance somewhere.

An independent agent can't work magic if the underwriters won't bind the risk, however - they are afterall just a middleman, not the insurance company themselves. Sure, a well meaning agent may put in some extra legwork to see if there's another underwriter that will take on the business, but in the end if the situation at hand means the bike is uninsurable since it's not a road legal bike here, the best independent agent in the world still isn't going to be able to find a company willing to insure it.

Douchery or not, it's nice to get a challenging question like this once in a while. There is an importer on eBay warning of incomplete / forged documents with these bikes. Caveat emptor. Being hunted by GTAM is not a good thing...which for you translates to caveat venditor. You'll be hunted til you write an honest ad. Use it as a dirtbike and take your lumps.

The whole forged or incomplete documents on Chinese vehicles is quite common. When they began to bring in cheap knock off ATV's many couldn't get insurance on their ATV's due to incomplete documentation or the importers not following Transport Canada's guidelines. Therefore, the VIN's were blacklisted by MTO. So you couldn't get registrations hence no insurance. It has cleaned up quite a bit in the last few years as the importers began to realize to make the sale they had to get the bikes registered. But more than a few guys in the beginning got burned.

Unless, he has his own private land to ride on he can't even use it as a dirt bike. If your riding on others property or trails in Ontario then the bike MUST have a green plate and be fully insured.

An independent agent can't work magic if the underwriters won't bind the risk, however - they are afterall just a middleman, not the insurance company themselves. Sure, a well meaning agent may put in some extra legwork to see if there's another underwriter that will take on the business, but in the end if the situation at hand means the bike is uninsurable since it's not a road legal bike here, the best independent agent in the world still isn't going to be able to find a company willing to insure it.

You are correct if it hasn't passed road certification in Ontario.
However, it's my suspicion that no one is willing to insure it because the brand is new in Ontario and to our insurance companies.
I remember when Hyundai and Kia cars were new, same thing.
No one wanted to insure them because no one knew what it would cost to fix them following an accident.

Yes, I put the bike up for sale and yes I am getting a brand new bike.
Someone messaged me asking if he could get insurance on the bike, and I told him to get some quotes.. I am sure it's one of the guys that posted here.
I didn't lie, but I am not going to put an add up with huge letters saying "I CANT GET INSURANCE ON THIS BIKE"
Just because I can't, doesn't mean that someone else can... And I am still trying to find an insurance company to insure it, but since all of my insurance is through a large company that doesn't do motorcycle insurance, and I have only my M1.. means that some companies have turned me away simply because I do not have my M or M2 license.

I don't claim to know much about bikes, other than I can drive them.. And I really like this bike.. If I could find someone to insure it I would keep it and have 2 bikes.
And the bike has been plated, and has a registration which I have..

Back
Top Bottom