Trailering bike to Keywest | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering bike to Keywest

Veej

I'm planning a trip to Key west next week with my son and a friend and his boys, going in the car, I thought hey why not trailer the my bike with me, cause I want to do the 7 mile bridge on a bike.

One day I want to do the ride from here to the Keys but since I'm going perhaps I can do Miami to the Key on the bike.

I never have trailered anything except my bicycles on our hitch, I have a X5 3.0, I called U-haul who rents the motorcycle trailer out for $24 a day they will look at my hitch to see if it can bear the load.

Just a few Q below if anyone here has trailered their bike deep into the US.

1) Any issues at crossing the border?

2) Any advice on trailering? to US like what to look out for when trailering or driving style.

3) Economics of taking your bike, I can rent a bike in Miami for around minimum $100 plus tax plus any other charges, a day going to the Keys one day and bring it back the next will cost probably over $250-$350. Renting the trailer would cost around $400 (not sure if it's even worth renting for now)

4) Since the trailer rental would be in the 4-5 bills plus trailering the load will cost extra on gas in the SUV, shall I leave the idea and perhaps just ride the bike in a few years time when the opportunity arrives to take off for a few weeks in the coming years? I do want to do this ride in a few years.

What kind of suv do you have ? motor / trans etc etc?

Trailing is fine, but driving over 55mph is not recommended. Believe if you blow those Uhaul tires - you are on the hook to replace them. having a trailer in the city is annoying as well.

I'd just rent if its that cheap. trailing a bike down south if worth if will spend a few days riding.

My suggestion is to just rent a bike while you're down there. So much easier & cheaper.
I rent bikes for at least a day wherever I travel.

My suggestion is to just rent a bike while you're down there. So much easier & cheaper.
I rent bikes for at least a day wherever I travel.

+1

Seeing as you are going with family and friends, will you really be able to do that much riding? If it just for a day, or even two I would just rent and keep it simple.

In all honesty, I would just rent a bike in Miami or Key West. It's so much less hassle. IIRC there's a couple rental joints in Key West, that's a better ride going up than down anyways.

Thats a great ride. I rented a Harley Street glide from Petersons Harley. It cost me $225USD tax in with it fully insured. You can rent smaller harley's for less. If you are looking to rent other brands, there is a company called Eagle Rider, and the prices seem to be better as well. Have fun.

I'd rent a motorcycle in Miami as well. I've done the ride down to Key West, it's fun, but the roads are very straight. A Harley is the right bike to do it with.

If you do decide to trailer, the U-Haul single motorcycle trailer is light. The OEM BMW hitch is a Class III which is more than capable. Unless you've put on a flimsy aftermarket one, it shouldn't be a problem.

rent a bike, and make it a cruiser/standard. the road is pretty well dead straight. Any sport bike would be a horrible ride.

You'd also have to consider where you are leaving your suv/trailer while you are off on the bike. Easy theft target...

As mentioned, Miami to KW is all straight roads, and is stop-and-go a lot of times. If you rent a Harley, the motor may get hot enough where leather pants are needful.

At the return border crossing, CBSA agent asked to see my m/c ownership.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies guys, I'm gonna just rent the bike like you all mentioned, I was on the fence about the trailer but now it makes total sense.

Perhaps I'll rent a bike in the Key's for a day or 2 to do the islands, any recommendations? I found 1 in the keys with Harleys, I see Eagle in Miami, but then you have to ride it back to Miami to drop it off. I don't think you can drop it off in the Keys.

Ride your bicycle, likely way more fun as you can stop and go for swims then ride again.
It's straight and boring, also watch out for high winds.
Key West is fun.

301d60b5494fc14bbf8e67aedbb38115_zps882b7c42.jpg

uhaul trailers give you a 50/50 chance of getting something bad.
ive rented a few, 1 was welded back together a bunch of times and bounced around like crazy...i just had to tow in town so it was fine.
another the physical condition was good but it was from the states (US plate) and the tires were bald....wouldnt want to take it very far..i only had a 100km round trip on side roads so i wasnt worried.

they type your vehicle into their system and then tell you what ones you are able to take based on factory spec hitches.

The uhaul i rented a few years back for two bikes weighed a ton and sucked the gas from the suv. Never again , maybe aluminum trailer but not those uhaul tanks.
As far as crossing boarder never had an issue just have your normal paperwork i.e insurance , ownership etc.

If you rent something different it adds to your mental data base of what you like / don't like.

I see Ride with Norman Reedus on tonight at 10pm is a ride out to the Keys... Could be good timing and give you some ideas?

Last edited:
You can rent scooters in Key West and that is all you need for getting around.

Thanks for replies guys, I'm gonna just rent the bike like you all mentioned, I was on the fence about the trailer but now it makes total sense.

Perhaps I'll rent a bike in the Key's for a day or 2 to do the islands, any recommendations? I found 1 in the keys with Harleys, I see Eagle in Miami, but then you have to ride it back to Miami to drop it off. I don't think you can drop it off in the Keys.

Back
Top Bottom