Important News - Toronto's new Road Safety Plan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Important News - Toronto's new Road Safety Plan

Friends,

As many of you know, the City of Toronto has undertaken a major transportation planning initiative that sets the stage for policy developments which will impact our community well into the future. The city’s new Road Safety Plan, scheduled for council deliberations tomorrow, will see Toronto join a growing number of municipalities around the world in pursuing a Vision Zero approach to road safety. Among the many significant provisions contained in the city’s new Road Safety Plan is the categorization of target groups under the category - Vulnerable Road Users. Like many of you, we were disappointed to see that motorcyclists had been excluded from this important policy category when we received a preliminary copy of the Road Safety Plan a few weeks ago. Our disappointment with this apparent omission was not only compounded by the city’s own collision data which demonstrates the disproportionate risks faced by motorcyclists, but also by the fact that RTI had been working closely with the city on motorcycle outreach initiatives since 2013.

We now have some good news to share…

Since the release of the preliminary report, we have been working closely with various members of Toronto City Council, representatives from the Mayor’s office, as well as key staff in the city’s Transportation Safety Office with a view to amending the Road Safety Plan to better reflect the interests of the motorcycling community. As of today, Toronto’s new Road Safety Plan classifies motorcyclists as Vulnerable Road Users. This significant step is a first for any Canadian municipality, and opens the door to future transportation policy discussions that will enhance the safety and inclusivity afforded to motorcyclists in Toronto.

Additionally, the city has included in the amended Road Safety Plan a commitment to pursue a pilot, motorcycle focused road safety sign campaign. This pilot programme represents another first for Canadian municipalities, and is the result of a proposal that RTI brought to the city 2 years ago. The road safety signs will target high risk collision zones throughout the city, and help communicate to riders the unique risks they face in those areas. We have included some samples of the signs you will be encountering over the next year as the programme is rolled out.

Although we cannot share the amended report in its entirety at this time, we have been granted approval to release a topical excerpt:

New Countermeasure 42 - Motorcycles
Motorcyclists are vulnerable road users. The original RSP submission identified the need for education and awareness campaigns directed at motorcyclists on safety risks and the challenges associated with navigating through certain corridors within the City. As a pilot project, Transportation Services staff will be working with the MTO and the Rider Training Institute in the deployment of road safety signs in high-crash locations targeting the specific risks faced by motorcyclists. (Road Safety Plan (RSP) 2017-2021 – Supplementary Report, July 2016)

RTI will be continuing its presence on the city’s newly struck Road Safety Committee with a view to moving the interests of our community forward. In short, we finally have a voice in the planning of transportation policy that affects us on a daily basis.

Lastly, RTI would like to extend special thanks to the city’s Transportation Safety Office and namely, Roger Browne, for his ongoing support of our community through this complicated process. Additionally, we would like to recognize the efforts of Mayor Tory’s office in advocating on our behalf.

Sincerely,
Rider Training Institute
www.ridertraining.ca

Road Safety Sign Samples

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• signs_1.jpg
    signs_1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 299
  • signs_2.jpg
    signs_2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 281
  • signs_3.jpg
    signs_3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 278
It's a shame money has to be wasted on this crap rather than just spend it at the root (fixing a million other issues) - DRIVER TRAINING.

Additionally, we would like to recognize the efforts of Mayor Tory’s office in advocating on our behalf.

LOL! I caught the tail-end of the last "..with the Mayor" segment on CP24. Big-Red-Glasses-Guy, and Mayor Tory were bemoaning the loud exhausts of motorcyclists (and we all know they really are thinking of Harley's and their ilk) with their loud pipes disrupting their patio season. As the segment closed it came to light Big-Red-Glasses-Guy owns a motorbike and Tory scoffed, "...think of your kids and grandkids!" To me, that readily suggests he thinks little of the motorcycle and not a supporter. If anything only as a death-trap to the rider.

And RIDER TRAINING too.

Well, ya. I sorta lump them in the same. An entire revamp of the graduated licensing system is needed. The positive to motorcycle training is that (I believe) the vast majority of motorcycle riders at least learned through RTI (or others). Compare that to drivers learning through one of the countless questionable 'driving schools.'

Well, ya. I sorta lump them in the same. An entire revamp of the graduated licensing system is needed. The positive to motorcycle training is that (I believe) the vast majority of motorcycle riders at least learned through RTI (or others). Compare that to drivers learning through one of the countless questionable 'driving schools.'

Ooooh, the great stories are endless with that....

Well, ya. I sorta lump them in the same. An entire revamp of the graduated licensing system is needed. The positive to motorcycle training is that (I believe) the vast majority of motorcycle riders at least learned through RTI (or others) and one of the countless questionable 'driving schools.'

They may learn the mechanics, but unfortunately you can't as easily teach "attitude". That requires a tougher system than we have here, both for riders and for drivers.

In any case, we should have:

• More extensive and intensive rider training.
  • Graduated licensing that includes bike weight and power-to-weight restrictions to force new riders. In effect, new riders progress towards middle-weight and then litre sportbikes or big harley behemoths only after a few years honing skills and attitude on lightweight, low-power motorcycles.
  • Tougher probationary rider conditions for the first two years.

Sort of like Sweden does. https://www.korkortsportalen.se/upl...ional/100079_Allt om körkort_ENG_20110506.pdf

Last edited:
I seem to recall the majority of the recommendations related to reducing speed limits. Considering the recent unanimous approval of 30 kph speed limits on local streets in old Toronto & East York, the City needs no further excuse to create excessively low limits that are so unrealistic that most people simply ignore them. All they are doing is raising money for the courts & insurance industry on the backs of drivers & riders.

If this initiative leads to driver training improving awareness of motorcycles, then great. But based the signs you've shown, it appears that they are starting to single out motorcycles for greater driving restrictions than cars. Is this the first step to separate lower speed limits for motorcycles?

Be careful what you ask for, because in the hands of these bureaucrates, we may not like what you are getting us!

I'm willing to bet that the new Pokemon Go app will have so many people walking around with their heads buried in their cel phones, it will far outweigh the impact on pedestrian safety than the theoretically beneficial recommendations from this program. Distracted walking should be as big an offence as distracted driving!

How about we start with something really easy, a simple sticker.
Allow bikes to ride in ALL HOV lanes in Ontario. Put the biker in the safest lane.
Simple isn't it.

It's a shame money has to be wasted on this crap rather than just spend it at the root (fixing a million other issues) - DRIVER TRAINING.

training and licensing are provincial issues, not municipal..

I seem to recall the majority of the recommendations related to reducing speed limits. Considering the recent unanimous approval of 30 kph speed limits on local streets in old Toronto & East York, the City needs no further excuse to create excessively low limits that are so unrealistic that most people simply ignore them. All they are doing is raising money for the courts & insurance industry on the backs of drivers & riders.

If this initiative leads to driver training improving awareness of motorcycles, then great. But based the signs you've shown, it appears that they are starting to single out motorcycles for greater driving restrictions than cars. Is this the first step to separate lower speed limits for motorcycles?

Be careful what you ask for, because in the hands of these bureaucrates, we may not like what you are getting us!

:confused: not sure where you're seeing lower speed limits for motorcycles in what RTI is talking about, seems to me like these are hazard signs to warn the rider of things like blind corners etc...

Allow bikes to ride in ALL HOV lanes in Ontario. Put the biker in the safest lane.
Simple isn't it.

Of all rider deaths or serious injuries in Ontario last year and so far this year, how many happened under circumstances that would have been avoided 1) in highway areas where an HOV lanes was available, and 2) where the rider being in it would have made a difference?

Simple isn't it.

Agreed. Although this won't fix much...all it would really take is a bit of time in a meeting/committee and it is done. Especially with this HOT stuff to come, it would let us keep riding in the outer most lane, plus since they always say there aren't too many bikes on the road compared to cars, any negative impact (financial or traffic) would be minimal at best.

The problem though is this is a City of Toronto thing is it not? To make any decision on the HOV/HOT front it would need to be a provincial decision, which I doubt Wynne cares about in the slightest.

This is what worries me. A lot of this Vision Zero stuff points to a world where there are zero accidents, especially fatal ones. This is easier to do with bicycles, since you can give them their own lanes, pathways, etc. For us though, an accident at any speed can be dangerous or fatal. About the only way to prevent all motorcycle accident from ever happening on the road is to effectively ban motorcycles.

The only "good" I can see coming from it would be harsher fines for drivers should they do something that causes an accident or death on a motorcycle, where they are found at fault. It still shocks me how someone can kill someone or cause them significant injury and financial loss, but only get hit with a $500 or less ticket.

Last edited:
:confused: not sure where you're seeing lower speed limits for motorcycles in what RTI is talking about, seems to me like these are hazard signs to warn the rider of things like blind corners etc...

The Road Safety Plan was the first item on the June 20 Works Committee agenda. A quick review of the recommendations shows a focus on reducing already arbitrarily slow speed limits, so I guess its more about propaganda and revenue.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decision...ting-2016.PW14

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgen...em=2016.PW14.1

Of all rider deaths or serious injuries in Ontario last year and so far this year, how many happened under circumstances that would have been avoided 1) in highway areas where an HOV lanes was available, and 2) where the rider being in it would have made a difference?

You are taking a ridiculous position. Why don't you tell many how many bikes did NOT get hit because they used the HOV lane?
If you save one life then that is a win...no?

The Road Safety Plan was the first item on the June 20 Works Committee agenda. A quick review of the recommendations shows a focus on reducing already arbitrarily slow speed limits, so I guess its more about propaganda and revenue.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decision...ting-2016.PW14

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgen...em=2016.PW14.1

When do they ever do things for the right reasons?

I bet you a bicycle fee will be int he works, watch...you want your safety, well we made it for you not pay up...lol

You are taking a ridiculous position. Why don't you tell many how many bikes did NOT get hit because they used the HOV lane?
If you save one life then that is a win...no?

Proving a non-occurrence is kind of difficult, don't you think?

Besides, if personal safety was really such a prime motivator, you would have already migrated from the bike to an F-350, or even a Honda Fit.

Proving a non-occurrence is kind of difficult, don't you think?

Besides, if personal safety was really such a prime motivator, you would have already migrated from the bike to an F-350, or even a Honda Fit.

Ya just proved my point.
again, another dumb reply from you

Back
Top Bottom