2006 Kawi 636 not holding idle - Dies when decelerating | GTAMotorcycle.com

2006 Kawi 636 not holding idle - Dies when decelerating

robotninja

Hey guys,

I need some help and/or advice as to what I need to do to get my bike running properly again.

Over the winter I was doing work in my garage, and my battery tender was unplugged without my knowledge. When I went to start her up in the spring, the bike was dead. So I dropped in a new battery, and she started back up again, but with issues. I immediately identified that it wasn't running right. Sounded rough and louder than usual. Up until the moment it just cut out. Every time it dies, it starts right back up again, and will run for a minute or so before suddenly dropping revs and stalling - this happens in gear and in neutral. Haven't gone for a ride yet to see if it would help or to see if anything else happens.

I then changed the spark plugs (NGK Iridium IX), and added about 2/3 of a bottle of seafoam to the gas. The tank was about 1/4 full with 1 day old Shell 91 octane when the bike was stored at the end of October. I doubt the gas went bad, but the next step is to empty the tank, and add fresh fuel.

The K&N air filter was also cleaned so it's not being obstructed.

After changing the spark plugs, I took it apart again to make sure that I didn't forget to connect a hose or smth (vacuum leak?).....everything seems to be OK.

Other than the things I've done, I'm at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions? The bike was running perfectly in late October when it was put away.

Here is a video taken after new spark plugs, cleaned air filter, and seafoam in gas.:confused::confused::confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwIHkzKTQnQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Could you have accidentally adjusted the idle? Looks and sounds like its idling low. Sadly that's all I got for you.

2/3 bottle seafoam in that little gas, wow.

Shoulnd't be hard to figure this out - if you are having trouble shoot me a PM

The seafoam made no difference though. It was doing the exact same thing before and after seafoam. And technically seafoam is combustible, and should not affect things that much as it is petroleum based. I will try to make time to get the gas flushed, and replace it with fresh stuff...other than that I'm lost...

I did play with the idle control, after seeing the issue initially, but it did not do anything regardless of the rotation.

The seafoam made no difference though. It was doing the exact same thing before and after seafoam. And technically seafoam is combustible, and should not affect things that much as it is petroleum based. I will try to make time to get the gas flushed, and replace it with fresh stuff...other than that I'm lost...

I did play with the idle control, after seeing the issue initially, but it did not do anything regardless of the rotation.

even if you played with it, it has a idle control knob on the left corner by the stator...easy to adjust it back.

just saw your video at work, i don't have sound to actually tell what it's doing.

but it idles way too low, turn it up to 1200-1500 rpm range.

just saw your video at work, i don't have sound to actually tell what it's doing.

but it idles way too low, turn it up to 1200-1500 rpm range.

Proper idle adjustment for the 05/06 as per Kawasaki specs is 1300 +/- 50 RPM. So should not have to be any higher then 1250-1350

IMO loose the K@N, unless you have had the bike dyno tuned specifically for it

Last edited:
It almost sounds like it's not firing on all four cylinders.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

It's all sorted.

It seems to have been a combination of the seafoam doing its thing while being in the fuel system for about a week.

That and tuning the idle speed slightly.

Thanks for the help and suggestions all!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom