Bleed screw leak | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bleed screw leak

Andrew89

Hey guys!

I just changed my brake pads and brake oil on my FZ09. My first DIY job on a motorcycle. I notice the slightest leak of oil (perhaps enough to just cover the tip of your pinky finger) from my front brake master cylinder bleed screw and rear brake bleed screw.

Just as i put the rubber cap over the bleed screw nipple oil will simultaneously come out from where the bleed screw thread meets the master cylinder? Whats going on? Could i have damaged some sort of seal after over tightening the screw?

I also notice that after cleaning the rubber cap and putting it back on the nipple, i'll come back the next day after riding, removed the cap and notice its glossy inside.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

That should just be the remaining fluid inside of the bleeder. As long as the bleeder screw was snug and there is no fluid running, dripping, or pooling anywhere I wouldn't worry.

Don't break the bleed nipple in there

That should just be the remaining fluid inside of the bleeder. As long as the bleeder screw was snug and there is no fluid running, dripping, or pooling anywhere I wouldn't worry.

How much oil could you possibly have remaining inside the bleeder? This is probably the 3rd day i notice the 'leak'.

When you say "leak", is it actively leaking or just wet when you take the cap off the bleeder? You would have as much as can be held in the length of the bleeder. If the cap is on and there is no brake fluid showing anywhere else then you are fine. For some reassurance, take the cap off and pump the brakes...if there is no fluid dripping or running, you are fine.

When you say "leak", is it actively leaking or just wet when you take the cap off the bleeder? You would have as much as can be held in the length of the bleeder. If the cap is on and there is no brake fluid showing anywhere else then you are fine. For some reassurance, take the cap off and pump the brakes...if there is no fluid dripping or running, you are fine.

Its just wet when i take the cap off and then put it back on the bleeder. When i clean and dry the cap and then take the cap off after 24 hours (includes riding time) its no longer dry and clean underneath, though.

I pumped the brakes with the caps off and did not notice leaks at all. So i feel relieved about that ,lol. I was just confused as to the other issue. I am all new to this so i didnt know what to think.

Thanks for the help and assurance!

No problem. The first time doing anything service related is always unnerving, questioning if you did things right, messed it up.

Since you bled the master and topped up new fluid, it wouldn't hurt to bleed the lines also so all the brake fluid in the system is nice and fresh.

Keep on wrenching, and remember that even the best techs have learned by mistake at some point.

Back
Top Bottom