zx6r oil change needed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

zx6r oil change needed?

waqeezy

Hi I purchased a 2010 zx6r with 3k km on it and have a few questions. Is the engine even broken in yet? The guy I got it from said he got it serviced twice a season. The bike is in good condition and looks like its been maintained well and rides extremely smooth. Do i need to get an oil change done? I've heard you should get one done every 3-5k km. I have put about 2k km on it so its currently sitting close to 5k km.

Cheap insurance to do an oil change. Probably would have done one before I went for my first ride. All just my $0.02

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Hmm, so it would be a good idea to get one done now? I've been riding for about a month give or take. Do you know anything about "Breaking in" the engine? Is the bike past the "break in" point?

Cheap insurance to do an oil change. Probably would have done one before I went for my first ride. All just my $0.02

I am probably the least qualified gtamer to answer this question, however, you will get a shyte load of different answers. Some say ride it like you stole it from day 1. Others will say it needs a break in period. My view is that at the point you are at now, after the oil change, you should be good to go. Ymmv.
Edit: you also don't really know how the po treated the bike for the first bit.

It would't hurt to do an oil change. On the other hand if it needs it and you don't it will hurt. Change it.

Engine is broken in already. Change oil, chep insurance. First thing I ever do after getting a bike is change the oil then the coolant

Always assume the previous owner is lying about their last oil change

Break in on most modern bikes is the first 1000km, and first service is an oil and filter change, plus a general check of the motorcycle. If the bike is at 3000km then it is definitely past the break in.

That said, I've never bought a used vehicle, but if I did the very first thing I'd do is change the oil & filter. Maybe it is I don't trust people, but I'd want to make sure it was done right by me and have an actual starting point on when exactly the last change was. Cheap insurance, so to speak.

After that, you can either go by the mileage intervals in the manual, or at least make sure you change it once per season (if you don't hit the interval), preferably before putting the bike to sleep for winter. I don't know the ZX6R specifically, but I know on my CBR650FA, Honda only calls for a change once every 12,000km using regular oil. That number does seem a bit high to me, but then I never really put more than 5000-8000km on the bike in a season, so that's what my interval works out to be.

Hi I purchased a 2010 zx6r with 3k km on it and have a few questions. Is the engine even broken in yet? The guy I got it from said he got it serviced twice a season. The bike is in good condition and looks like its been maintained well and rides extremely smooth. Do i need to get an oil change done? I've heard you should get one done every 3-5k km. I have put about 2k km on it so its currently sitting close to 5k km.

6 year old bike with 3,000 kms on it serviced twice a season ? That's every 500 kms. Either the previous owner was OCD or lying. If you look in the oil level window and its still clear I'd leave it, if its dirty change it. What does your owner's manual say ?

Back
Top Bottom