300cc vs 500cc | GTAMotorcycle.com

300cc vs 500cc

smashervt

Hey everyone. So I am 20 years old living in Vaughan. Got my M2 in May of this year with my training done as well. Is it worth it to get a 500cc bike or should I just stick with 300 and save a few bucks? Im getting quotes at around $3000 a year. And unfortunately it seems a bit higher than most people as another post some 22 year old is paying $1200. Is it really that huge of a difference in age and does 3-500 cc matter?

Hey everyone. So I am 20 years old living in Vaughan. Got my M2 in May of this year with my training done as well. Is it worth it to get a 500cc bike or should I just stick with 300 and save a few bucks? Im getting quotes at around $3000 a year. And unfortunately it seems a bit higher than most people as another post some 22 year old is paying $1200. Is it really that huge of a difference in age and does 3-500 cc matter?

Not sure what sort of bike you're after but if it's at the more sporting end of the spectrum a nice compromise to check out is the Yamaha R3. It's got a 320cc engine with nearly the power (42HP) of a CBR500 (47HP) but weighs 55 pounds less.

Not sure what sort of bike you're after but if it's at the more sporting end of the spectrum a nice compromise to check out is the Yamaha R3. It's got a 320cc engine with nearly the power (42HP) of a CBR500 (47HP) but weighs 55 pounds less.

I second that - you won't be bored.
Insurance is cheaper, it'll go anywhere and its a lot of fun.

Way older than you by fifty years but just replaced my 250 ZZR with a CB500F. Insurance did not change! With TD. Iwould call around and put the two scenarios to them. Nothing ventured nothing gained. On line quotes will get you nowhere.

My insurance agent told me that all bikes under 500cc are priced similarly, be they a Honda 500 or a Tomos Sprint moped (50cc, single gear). You need to phone and ask. I think the difference in insurance will be minimal. Just for fun ask about the Tomos. A friend of mine pays more for his moped than I do for my 500.

The 300 Will get slow fast,get the 500 .

You can't make a general statement like that...completely depends on the bike, and moreso/more specifically, power vs weight.

To put it back in context, I'd hazard a guess that a R3 is faster than a CBR500R.

The 300 Will get slow fast,get the 500 .

Lol, and what bikes have you ridden again?

Difference between a 300cc vs 500cc sportbike is minimal when it comes to "going fast". Plus, it's a lot easier to handle a lighter bike.

I debated that as well and decided on a 500 because I'd keep it till it dies/give it to my girlfriend instead of reselling and the increase in insurance was negligible. That gs500 that @gcoupe is selling looks like a nice bike too

Last edited:
You can't make a general statement like that...completely depends on the bike, and moreso/more specifically, power vs weight.

To put it back in context, I'd hazard a guess that a R3 is faster than a CBR500R.

In a straight line, the CBR500 just edges out the R3. I reckon once the roads get twisty the order will change.

If you're going to be upgrading soon just get a 300, if you plan to keep it a while get the 500.

Call insurance & do a comparison

In a straight line, the CBR500 just edges out the R3. I reckon once the roads get twisty the order will change.

That is probably a fair assessment. There is not a bad bike in this group. Even the CBR300 which is probably at the bottom of most people's lists is well regarded for being such a well balanced bike. If I were 20 years younger and in the position of the OP that R3 would be pretty hard to resist. I like the more upright ergos of the CBR500 (more sport touring end of the spectrum to me) and the extra torque of the 500 might be nice to have on a day to day basis. I was looking at getting a CBR500 and throwing a Givi unit on it but the insurance ended up being so close to the Sport Touring bikes I was looking at that I just decided to go with a larger bike.

The CB300F runs at 7 or 8k rpm at 110, in the best part of its powerband. I assume the CBR300 uses the same gearing, but I haven't checked. Vibration is surprisingly mild, despite being a single.

My old Ninja 500 ran only slightly lower RPM at highway speed but was very buzzy and made my hands and feet tingle all night after a 4 hour ride.

Can't say off hand for the500f but the bike has no vibrations that I feel. Smooth like a babies bum. Lots of get up though through the gears without the high revs.

On the highway at 110kph what would the rpms be between a 300 vs 500?

Higher on the 300 (plus I think the redline on the 500 series is something like 8,000rpm vs 12,000rpm), but then the engines are designed to take it. Someone asked an engineer one (I think it was Honda) about what RPM is safe for an engine, and the response was "anything below redline", so long as the bike is maintained properly.

Higher on the 300 (plus I think the redline on the 500 series is something like 8,000rpm vs 12,000rpm), but then the engines are designed to take it. Someone asked an engineer one (I think it was Honda) about what RPM is safe for an engine, and the response was "anything below redline", so long as the bike is maintained properly.

FWIW:
CBR300 redlines at 12k rpm
R3 redlines at 12.5k rpm
Ninja 300 redlines at 13k rpm

CBR500 redlines at 8.5k rpm
Ninja EX500 relines at 9k rpm

+1 on Yamaha R3 ... great starter bike. It's light, nimble and it has enough juice to keep things interesting for at least a couple of seasons.

Back
Top Bottom