List of requirements for a motrocycle safety | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

List of requirements for a motrocycle safety

For a safety? Holy crap that's a lot of money...that's what many places are charging for a car safety now which is exponentially more work, particularly with the new legislation which *does* apply to cars/trucks, unlike bikes in which nothing changed. Since a motorcycle safety takes about 15 minutes, 20-25 tops if you're being completely anal, $150 seems off the charts IMHO.

Great news. What MC shop did you go to if you don't mind me asking? You can send me a PM if you don't want to post it.

Motor City Customs in Oshawa. I haven't dealt with them before but they were a good bunch, I'd go back and would recommend them.... when the time comes to get my new rear tire on my VTX (soon) I'm going to consider them vs GP, actually.

What's her new bike? I'm wondering why YOU of all people are upgrading your wife's ride so soon? You're usually one of the most vocal about newer riders staying on a small bike and actually acquiring some skills first. I guess she's mastered riding in a couple months.

Mastered, hell no. Done a lot of riding and progressed quite well since last fall? Yes, absolutely. I bought her a Vstar 650 - hardly a massive upgrade or a big giant 1000+cc 900# unwieldy cruiser that she wouldn't be safe or comfortable on, but just big enough that we can do the 2 trips (one 900K and the other about 800K) we have planned in the coming weeks more comfortably. These were the sorts of trips I didn't anticipate her being interested in or ready for as soon as she was, and although entirely possible (and originally planned) on her Marauder...we fell into the Vstar for a song and couldn't pass it up. We'd have been looking in the spring anyways for an upgrade, prices would have been higher of course, so the time was right on several fronts.

I fully expect this won't be her last bike, but it's a great second step..and I don't regret one bit having her start on a smaller bike and progress in stepping stones, the same as I would suggest for others - the fact that some people learn and progress faster than others (or than expected) isn't necessarilly an excuse to skip steps in the learning progress if you want to put safety before everything else.

Last edited:
What I'm basing that on is listed in "Record Keeping Requirements" immediately below the "Requirements and Inspection Criteria" section.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/motor-vehicle-inspection-stations.shtml#requirements

Records of all vehicles inspected including the measurements and any other information required to be recorded. Where applicable, you must also keep a list of defects, recommended repairs and actual repairs carried out by the Licensee;

See Reg 601

a record of all vehicles inspected together with the measurements and any other information required to be recorded by the Schedules and by NSC Standard 11B as modified by the Schedules and, where applicable, a list of defects, recommended repairs and actual repairs carried out by the licensee, for a period of one year from the date of inspection

Where applicable is the key phrase, and as of July 1, that applies to the new passenger and light duty vehicles inspection; Reg 611 Schedule 6 remains unchanged as I stated before and nowhere does it require records of measurement. However, If you failed a brake lining on measurement I would, and ALWAYS have, recorded that measurement.

Back
Top Bottom