List of requirements for a motrocycle safety | GTAMotorcycle.com

List of requirements for a motrocycle safety

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Some time ago I remember someone here posting a list that was basically the run down for a motorcycle safety. Can't seem to find it now.

Buying a new bike for the wife sometime this week. I went over it very carefully at the pre purchase inspection and am confident it's going to pass just fine (perhaps short of the mirrors, non factory and kind of small, will probably swap them out beforehand) but I'd like to go over the rest of it with a fine toothed comb beforehand just to make sure that I'm only making one trip to the shop with no surprises. Planning a trip up to Sudbury / Algonquin the weekend after next so I'm on a bit of a timeline to get it on the road.

For those in the trade, what's the most common thing you see that would cause a failure?

The safety cert requirements are the bare minimum standard. If you tell us the bike make, model, year, you might get more specific answers, as all bikes have their special quirks.

What's going on with motorcycle safeties lately?? July 1st new rules came into effect and a few people who used to do safeties don't do it anymore :(

New rules require written reports, complete with measurements etc. I am not prepared to stick my neck out , liability wise and basically double the time involved. Before I could quickly eyeball pads, tires etc NOW I have to disassemble and measure/record it all.There is no money in safeties and now there is more work and risk so I am officially out, sorry.

Sounds like a ton of work. I asked Ted how he's still able to do it and he said he just photocopies a form already filled out with all the measurements and writes your vin and stuff on it, no extra time other than for the photocopy.

I guess gotta take it to Ted :(

Nothing changed for motorcycle safeties with these new rules. The only thing that did likely change was that places that were doing MC safeties before that shouldn't have been (mainly because of a lack of a licenced person to actually fulfill the required 30KPH ride/braking test) were reminded of this requirement that they can't actually fulfil, so they stopped.

Anyhow, wifes new bike passed with flying colours, inspection took about 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for the paperwork and paying the bill.

Canadian Tire guy told me that for cars they increased the price of a safety $50 to cover the increased work, so $150 now vs $100 before. The MC shop I went to charge me $85 for the bike which is about going rate.

Nothing changed for motorcycle safeties with these new rules. The only thing that did likely change was that places that were doing MC safeties before that shouldn't have been (mainly because of a lack of a licenced person to actually fulfill the required 30KPH ride/braking test) were reminded of this requirement that they can't actually fulfil, so they stopped.

Anyhow, wifes new bike passed with flying colours, inspection took about 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for the paperwork and paying the bill.

Canadian Tire guy told me that for cars they increased the price of a safety $50 to cover the increased work, so $150 now vs $100 before. The MC shop I went to charge me $85 for the bike which is about going rate.
Great news. What MC shop did you go to if you don't mind me asking? You can send me a PM if you don't want to post it.

The changes increased our time anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour depending on the bike. I just averaged it to a half an hour so far, but I will continue to monitor the times and adjust accordingly. With the increased paperwork and no updated guidelines (I'm hearing next year for those by the way) like the car's, it is more of a hassle than it used to be.

The changes increased our time anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour depending on the bike. I just averaged it to a half an hour so far, but I will continue to monitor the times and adjust accordingly. With the increased paperwork and no updated guidelines (I'm hearing next year for those by the way) like the car's, it is more of a hassle than it used to be.
What do you guys charge? Having a hard time finding someone. If it was my own bike I wouldn't care and just take it to Ted but because it's for a friend...

A safety is no guarantee of a bike's fitness beyond that moment it's checked. I know what to look for, so go to the cheapest.

Reg 611, Schedule 6, as it stands is completely unchanged. You are not required to update your inspection process for motorcycles in any way ;)

Only Schedules 1 & 2 have been revoked and replaced by "Passenger and Light Duty Vehicle Inspection Standard"

**Note both likes are direct downloads

Would cracks in the sidewall of old tires cause it to fail a safety inspection? What about visible rust on the calipers?

Some time ago I remember someone here posting a list that was basically the run down for a motorcycle safety. Can't seem to find it now.

Buying a new bike for the wife sometime this week. I went over it very carefully at the pre purchase inspection and am confident it's going to pass just fine (perhaps short of the mirrors, non factory and kind of small, will probably swap them out beforehand) but I'd like to go over the rest of it with a fine toothed comb beforehand just to make sure that I'm only making one trip to the shop with no surprises. Planning a trip up to Sudbury / Algonquin the weekend after next so I'm on a bit of a timeline to get it on the road.

For those in the trade, what's the most common thing you see that would cause a failure?
What's her new bike? I'm wondering why YOU of all people are upgrading your wife's ride so soon? You're usually one of the most vocal about newer riders staying on a small bike and actually acquiring some skills first. I guess she's mastered riding in a couple months.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Would cracks in the sidewall of old tires cause it to fail a safety inspection?

Usually, if you inspect cracks closely they almost always expose cords. Granted most techs will just call any cracking to be safe. But lets be real, If your tires are cracked on the sidewall, wouldn't you feel better just changing them out?

4. (3) Each tire shall be inspected for depth of tread, tread and sidewall defects, regrooving, proper size and application;
(c) no tire shall have tread or sidewall cuts or snags deep enough to expose the cords

What about visible rust on the calipers?

As long as everything moves freely and functions as it should; no, it should pass.

Usually, if you inspect cracks closely they almost always expose cords. Granted most techs will just call any cracking to be safe. But lets be real, If your tires are cracked on the sidewall, wouldn't you feel better just changing them out?
Thanks for the detailed reply. The tires are almost brand new (from 2009), lol. Less than a thousand KM's on them. She might need to buy new carbs, water got in them, lots of damage, so trying to save money where possible.

WOW,,,,even BMW Motorrad does not charge that much....and it was about 70 bucks at my local Canadian Tire, maybe not as thorough, but the guy doing the safeties at CT also rides and builds bikes....

As discussed above, each shop and subsequently the signing tech has to accept the liability with the increased documentation. Some are some aren't, as johnscruiser found out. If some shops want to do the work for less, that is up to them.

A safety is no guarantee of a bike's fitness beyond that moment it's checked. I know what to look for, so go to the cheapest.

True. The inspection is for the bare minimum safety standards. I have made it a habit of going further with the inspections than minimum, but that is my choice as the signing tech and service manager. We don't charge for that, it's just the way I want to do things.The cheapest option is a good option for some people, that's for sure. Especially if they are comfortable looking over the bike themselves as well.

Reg 611, Schedule 6, as it stands is completely unchanged. You are not required to update your inspection process for motorcycles in any way ;)

Only Schedules 1 & 2 have been revoked and replaced by "Passenger and Light Duty Vehicle Inspection Standard"

**Note both likes are direct downloads

Agreed, but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the increased documentation applies to motorcycle safety certificates too.

Ok, just got the bike back from getting certified, took it to Ted, as much as I thought I'd regret it. Total bill came to $80 (including the safety).

ninja_250_2009_blue_teds.jpg

Even helped her unload it and load it from/to her truck (no ramp).

She said, and I quote "I had lots of time to study the top of Ted's head. He was staring at my tits the whole time." Gotta love Ted.

Back
Top Bottom