2005 ZX10r No Electrical Power | GTAMotorcycle.com

2005 ZX10r No Electrical Power

Clem

Posting this for a friend. Any Kawasaki Gurus in the house?

He has a 2005 ZX10r. We went out for a ride last night. It was for a couple of hours. He switched the bike off and started it a few times during the ride. It was fine.

We get back to my house and I have quite a big bump at the bottom of my driveway as they are repaving the street so he stalled it. He went to restart it and the FI and Oil Lights were flashing and there was no power to the starter.

Pushed it up into the garage. When he turns it on, the clocks cycle, but the fuel pump doesn't prime and as soon as the clock cycle finishes the clocks shut off. There are also no daytime running lights. Its like someone turned off the ignition key.

Battery? Something more serious?

I've already checked the fuses but unfortunately my tool box is at work so I don't even have a meter to go any further.

He said the battery is about 5 years old but claims he keeps it on a Battery Tender when the bike is not in use.

TIA

Update.

It's sitting in my garage so I just went out and turned it on again. The clocks cycle, and there is a tick, tick, tick, coming from the fuel pump and the neutral, FI and oil lights are dimming off and on in time to that. No running lights.

I assume its the battery. I'll send him to get another tomorrow. After 5 years its probably on borrowed time anyway, even though its a Yuasa.

Never seen one go that quickly though.

Sounds like the battery. If your getting no running lights its a pretty good sign.

I had one go really quickly in a car once. It was starting fine all day and I had actually pulled into a dealers to get an oil filter. Came back out and there was nothing. The mechanic who swapped the battery told me that high temperatures were much worse for batteries than the cold and that they change many more batteries in the heat of the summer than in the winter. I don't know how true this is.

Just a thought. If you don't have your meter at home do Canadian Tire loan them as part of their tool program? I'd also test it when you get it up and running again, just make sure that the regulator is OK. toy should be getting between 14.2 and 15.2 volts at the battery when its running.

Another though is - can you jumper it to your bike/car? At least see if the lights come on?

Just a thought. If you don't have your meter at home do Canadian Tire loan them as part of their tool program?

Great suggestion. I got one from my local Crappy Tire. I didn't want to drive all the way into Toronto.

The battery is reading around 10v with no load and between 4 and 5 volts when a load is applied. I guess its pooched

Back
Top Bottom