Best First Bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best First Bike?

E71000

KTM LC4 640 Supermoto, WR 250 X supermoto or a KAWASAKI KLX250S it would be street legal/Blue Plated
Hey everyone i'm new to the forum and well to motorcycle in general hopeful i put this thread in the right place...
so my question for you guys is witch one would be best for a first time rider? Ie noob they are all around the same price i want a dual sport or thats what i think i want i'm a big fan of Husqvarna but if i can get something with 400 cc or up for around the same price should i or should i just go with a 250cc

Any feed back would be grate!

Out of those options, buy the KLX250S. It is the cheapest of the 3 and will have the right size tires for dualsport riding. Also look at the DRZ400S which is a great option and WR250R only if you know for sure you want to ride offroad, it is more expensive than the other 2.

I had a 2008 WR 250 X and loved it! I only used it offroad though, and had to put aggressive tires on it to replace the street tires.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Anything under 600 is a ****ing joke you are going to outgrow and get tired of fast. Mountain Bike is more fun and cheaper to run than a 250.

Out of those options, buy the KLX250S. It is the cheapest of the 3 and will have the right size tires for dualsport riding. Also look at the DRZ400S which is a great option and WR250R only if you know for sure you want to ride offroad, it is more expensive than the other 2.
KLX agreed. I believe only available used now. I wanted one but ended up getting a discounted new XT250 (very similar) as my fourth bike. Both are cheap, durable, good in town and in dirt, okay on highway, and absurdly easy and fun to ride.

DRZ400 much bigger but superb bike and WR250R expensive but incomparable.

So a cheap KLX for now, then whatever you like? Seems a good route and one I would have taken in retrospect.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! one more thing what about a Husqvarna Te 250 vs Kawasaki KLXs both are street legal and both are the same price
This is what i narrowed it down to my hart wants the Husq but my brain say KLXS haha

Klx if you plan on mostly road te if you plan on mainly dirt riding.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! one more thing what about a Husqvarna Te 250 vs Kawasaki KLXs both are street legal and both are the same price
This is what i narrowed it down to my hart wants the Husq but my brain say KLXS haha
Like Scuba Steve said, if you plan on road riding alot get the klx. The husky is a better dirt bike, but it will need constant maintainence if it's road ridden much.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

a little offtopic
how is the honda crf250L - its not as expensive as the yamaha wr250r/x and unlike the carburated KLX comes with fuel injection

Crf250l is like a less powerful klx with worse suspension fine if you plan on mainly road riding.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Anything under 600 is a ****ing joke you are going to outgrow and get tired of fast. Mountain Bike is more fun and cheaper to run than a 250.

But a beginner will be less prone to hurt her/himself on a lesser bike.The learning curve for the average person is very big.I have always felt that a rider that learns in the dirt on an under 250cc bike has a better base to begin with before going to the street.

So much trolling on this board lately.

Any modern 250-400 will be good. Since someone mentioned the correct tires for offroading in relation to the WR250X - look at the WR250R if that's a concern (comes with dirt tires instead of street tires).

Anything larger will likely have terrible insurance for a young/new rider. Even for me at over 30 I just compared a VFR to what I pay now and it's double (not unexpected).

so i was going to buy a 2010 KLX250S the seller just told me the electric start doesn't work. should i stay away or how much would it be to fix that
thanks everyone for your help it has helped me out a lot!

so i was going to buy a 2010 KLX250S the seller just told me the electric start doesn't work. should i stay away or how much would it be to fix that
thanks everyone for your help it has helped me out a lot!

If the seller can't be bothered to repair AND CERTIFY it (likely a simple fix) you shouldn't be bothered buying it. Goodness knows what else is wrong.

If the seller can't be bothered to repair AND CERTIFY it (likely a simple fix) you shouldn't be bothered buying it. Goodness knows what else is wrong.

Depends on your mechanical skills and the overall condition of the bike, good deals can be had when you can cite dealer repair costs but fix them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom