Recognizing a stolen bike, how to? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recognizing a stolen bike, how to?

SCDC

Hello everyone, will appreciate feedback on how to recognize that if a bike for sale is stolen?
I am planning to get back into riding after a considerable length of time.
I am in the market for a used bike, visited a seller who gave me a story about, selling the bike for someone else.
The gas tank and fairings appear rough and are painted over.
Seller claims to have ownership papers, never showed me any.
Appears to be in a hurry to sell.
Will appreciate feedback from members.
Thanks
Roy.

Hello everyone, will appreciate feedback on how to recognize that if a bike for sale is stolen?
I am planning to get back into riding after a considerable length of time.
I am in the market for a used bike, visited a seller who gave me a story about, selling the bike for someone else.
The gas tank and fairings appear rough and are painted over.
Seller claims to have ownership papers, never showed me any.
Appears to be in a hurry to sell.
Will appreciate feedback from members.
Thanks
Roy.

get the vin number off the frame and go get the UVIP yourself. Check the ownership status... Or imho, turn around; walk away; don't look back

Earlier this year I bought a shed-find project bike off some ****** who claimed the bike was his wife's and since she wasn't home it would be mailed to me. Being an overly trusting newbie retard I accepted. It turned out not stolen, but the ownership doesn't exist.

NEVER hand over a nickel until you've seen and READ the ownership.

If it is some old barn find then it's worth a few hundred. I don't care how classic it is, it's not worth the hassle in this province.

Good advice regarding the UVIP. $20 well spent and will give you the complete ownership history & if the bike has any liens. If a deal feels funny, something is probably up. I wouldn't buy a bike without seeing the seller's photo ID and making sure it matches the ownership paperwork.

Someone told me you can go to the MOT website.
It has a page that allows you to enter the VIN.
It will return data on if its stolen and the name of the registered owner.
I would assume if its never been registered in Ontario it will tell you that as well.
$2 fee. It's not nearly as complete as a UVIP of course.

This topic seems to come up a great deal.
If the seller has no ownership or if it's in a different name, walk away.
Tell the person they can get a replacement ownership from the MOT if they actually own the bike.
Call me when you have it.

Back
Top Bottom