Riding in the heat | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in the heat

Also keep in mind that mesh will not protect you the same way as leather would, should it have the opportunity. Mesh is better for lower-speed trips for that reason, but to each their own. :)

I always ride in a full textile jacket & pants combo (vents open on jacket). So long as it is below about 30C I never find it that bad. Over 30 can be painful, but only really when not moving/stuck in traffic.

Mesh will do nothing for you. I rashed up my right leg from knee to just above my ankle. Pants failed on inside seam and thus created a bloody mess. Leather or nothing! Squid it and be a donor!

Missing from the calculations therein is the solar heating - my white JR mesh jacket helps with that. I'd expect a black colored mesh jacket may be worse from this perspective.

I too would like a mesh overpant with a full length side zipper. Something not baggy (leg width wise) as most textile overpants are.

I think I'm going to end up making my own one day. Start with a cargo pant, one size up, replace parts with mesh and reinforce parts with leather or aramid. Some more leather on the right inside leg (exhaust). Then add a full length zip. Slim - but able to fit over dress pants.

I ride in a mesh jacket sparingly. That being said my mesh jacket is part of the joe rocket alter ego jacket, so the arms and shoulders retain all the padding and full textile sleeve on the outer portion. Usually anything real long term is done in the 2 piece suit, but I feel pretty good about that mesh jacket.

Mesh will do nothing for you. I rashed up my right leg from knee to just above my ankle. Pants failed on inside seam and thus created a bloody mess. Leather or nothing! Squid it and be a donor!
Yeah when i commute im wearing full gear (rev'it airwave jacket, rev'it sand pants, tcx boots and rev'it gloves + helmet)
When looking at the pants' material, its pretty legit abrasion resistant material (up to 1200D) but obviously on the jacket i won't be counting on max protection except where the armor sits. I still prefer having some protection with some breathability rather than none. Cause in bumper to bumper traffic i have more chances of getting a 30kph impact than a high speed one, so i take my risks accordingly.

Cool article with some good info.

I wear all mesh gear that has leather in certain spots with D3O. The brand being ICON, and the pant I currently use called "Raiden Arakis". I don't mind leather but not for these super hot days. Plus I do most of my riding on surface streets and skip the highway.

Dainese makes some nice mesh jackets with full armor. I'm going to pick that up soon, along with the pants. My textile jacket is brutal in the 25+ heat.

I have a set of alpinestars mesh pants xl which is like a 34 ish. Asking $120 almost brand new. Gt air

I am located in kingston, but heading markham way sunday ish

These threads always pop up in the summer. I guess you gotta make hay when the sun shines.

Core cooler. There are some kind of vests around now too.

also wear coolmax type socks NOT cotton
wicking socks

also get some perforated boots, works great

remember your feet are close to all the heat too radiating from the road and bike

Then again, you can work on your tan while your riding -

DoverThong_zpsfe67ebe7.jpg

For those who want mesh with better protection than the typical stuff out there - there's always Motoport gear. They aren't the most flattering looking, but they are full kevlar and with very good armour.

And hydration is key - I ride with a hydration knapsack.

On a more serious note, Olympia Moab mesh jacket + Airglide 3 pants + partial mesh gloves + ankle high boots + Camelback makes riding in 30C+ weather tolerable as long as you can keep moving. Stop and go traffic is a killer.

Hydration is critical. Your body cannot absorb water faster than you sweat it away, so start "stocking up" on water before starting the ride and keep hydrated throughout the day as you ride.

I wear an Alpinestars mesh jacket pretty much 100% of the time when temps are above 20. Crashed in it once a few years back and it held up like a champ--although I didn't do a lot of tarmac sliding before falling down a ditch into the woods. The shoulders and outer arms are textile with mesh everywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom