Is there such a thing... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is there such a thing...

robertv19

Site Supporter
...as a "good" way to get across the top of Toronto while sticking as close to the south of Lake Simcoe as possible?
I used quotes around the word good as it is obviously open to interpretation and given the sprawl of the GTA is going to be relative.
Looking at the map, it always looks tempting - but we've tried it once and ended up in some crazy traffic, which I get is par for the course but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of a "secret" route that might avoid some of the traffic and suburban madness.
It would be so easy if they built a bridge over Cook's Bay and extended Hwy 89 all the way across. Yeah, right.

Located in Cambridge/KW area, when we head for the Kawartha Lakes area and parts further east, we head north and go across the top of the lake at Orillia.
It would be nice to have the option of going south as per the above.

Probably a stupid question but I had to ask to know for sure.

Oh, and I know that the 407 is an option as well...just looking to avoid slab where possible.
It's great if you need to get across quick(ish), but normally we're happy to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob

To avoid the slab, usually what I will do is just map the route in Google Maps and select no highways or toll roads in options. That would show a route like this: https://goo.gl/maps/mPEEPkw1QqJ2.

It passes through some big spots like Guelph and Newmarket and smaller towns which are usually evident by a higher density of intersecting streets. Zooming into the map, I would choose the road either just north or south of it, that looks more empty. It's a bit time consuming, but if you are going to the Kawartha's, Haliburton and Muskoka somewhat often, then it will really be worth your time to do this and you could actually make a pretty nice route that doesn't take up too much time.

In 5 minutes, this is what I came up with. https://goo.gl/maps/AK9uCdr1U4m Google Maps says it's only 10 minutes longer, but there are way fewer small towns to go through so hopefully much less traffic lights and other vehicles slowing you down.
I'm sure you could do better if you spent a bit more time with it, or maybe this is exactly it...

Thanks Shane.
I have no problem getting from home to the 400 without any issue (know most the routes between here and there very well), and have done what you did many times...let Google "pick" a route for me. The inside information that I was looking for was more along the lines of how built up is it along #32 around Keswick etc. Turning on the satellite image of the area it doesn't look too built up, but that can always be deceiving.

Appreciate the info!

Rob

I'd tell you what the secret route is, but then it wouldn't be a secret anymore. :D

Many of my secret routes have in recent years become more heavily travelled, much to my chagrin. Some roads aren't on the GPS. Of late I'm finding some pretty good gravel road routes to use with my little Scramblebobber too.

The inside information that I was looking for was more along the lines of how built up is it along #32 around Keswick etc.
I've taken the 32 and the other lesser travelled east/west roads nearby and they are fine. Sometimes they can get a bit busy on Sunday afternoons and evenings with the cottage country traffic heading back home, but it's really just a matter of staying out of the towns which isn't too bad as long as you stay off the main roads.

And yes if you are okay with some hard packed gravel, there's lots of good roads to by pass traffic that are easy to ride and totally straight.

When the 404 first went to Newmarket, Hwy. 9 was that route.
Not anymore. It is often just as packed as any city street at rush hour.
The housing developers follow the expressways, followed by all the Torontonians trying to get away from the city.
They never grasp that they are just bringing the city with them.

Yesterday we came back from the bottom of the 507 and took this route. https://goo.gl/maps/uKkyVvNZUxk It was super fast and had next to no traffic while the main roads around it were quite busy. It passes through very few small towns and there was just a small amount of construction right in Bobcaygeon. While this route isn't as far north as Keswick, it can be easily worked in from the Kitchener area.

The housing developers follow the expressways, followed by all the Torontonians trying to get away from the city.

Know someone who moved from Orangeville because it was getting "too busy". Moved up to Shelburne. Hwy 6 north out of town is now a huge subdivision. At least we have The Greenbelt, right?

Maybe try the 9 and then make your way to something like the Bloomington Side road. It isn't too too bad when there's no construction. Switch to the Goodwood Road (21) for 7A or go through Uxbridge for the 7 or 12. There is some construction up there right now though.

Exactly!
Thanks for the input.
The sprawl knows no bounds!

Yesterday we came back from the bottom of the 507 and took this route. https://goo.gl/maps/uKkyVvNZUxk It was super fast and had next to no traffic while the main roads around it were quite busy. It passes through very few small towns and there was just a small amount of construction right in Bobcaygeon. While this route isn't as far north as Keswick, it can be easily worked in from the Kitchener area.

Very cool.
Thanks Shane.
The 507 is exactly the road that we like to take to get south, so that helps.
Unfortunately, where your route ends right where the real craziness begins at Hwy 9 & the 400...as per Statsman's comments above.

Rob

Maybe try the 9 and then make your way to something like the Bloomington Side road. It isn't too too bad when there's no construction. Switch to the Goodwood Road (21) for 7A or go through Uxbridge for the 7 or 12. There is some construction up there right now though.

What's the best connector between Hwy 9 and Bloomington SR (#40)? Jane Street (#55) which runs parallel to the 400?

Rob

Still think 88 through Bradford is okay, not great, especially at rush hour (so don't do that), OR 31 to Dufferin north to Graham but cannot personally vouch for how built up that route might be...Leslie north to Ravenshoe east to the end then on to 15/8 at Beaverton. after that, you're good for the backroads.

Back
Top Bottom