Sv1000 vs tl1000s vs tl1000r vs gsxr 1000 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sv1000 vs tl1000s vs tl1000r vs gsxr 1000

None of the above and look more at sport tourers like Concours 1400 or FJR 1300. The ergos on a supersport of going to kill you with that. I commute 100 km each way to work (Brantford to Mississauga) on my Concours and it's awesome. Also only a marginal performance difference between the bikes while gaining SO much more comfort and storage capability.

My opinion based on my 100k each way every day experience. Plus, the Concours is a beast.

I'd just get a Busa and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days the concours is a friggin dinosaur. 135hp, 700 pounds, come on.

BMW XR, 490 pounds , 160 hp fully programmable on the fly! Exactly why I dont own a 700 pound bike anymore, come with me to the dragon on the concours and will see who is more tired at the end of the run.

BB

BMW XR, 490 pounds , 160 hp fully programmable on the fly! Exactly why I dont own a 700 pound bike anymore, come with me to the dragon on the concours and will see who is more tired at the end of the run.

BB

+1, these more upright bikes are much more versatile and comfort while still being powerful. I would say the BMW 1000XR or the Ducati Multi Strada should be looked at.

BMW

Ducati

Last edited:
None of the above and look more at sport tourers like Concours 1400 or FJR 1300.
BMW XR, 490 pounds , 160 hp fully programmable on the fly!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the OP has a budget that falls well below the C14 or BMW XR level, otherwise he wouldn't have listed 15 year old bikes in the mix.

Of the TLS/TLR/SV siblings, I'd go with the SV, as I think there are move aftermarket options available (bar kits, windshields, etc.). Between the SV and GSXR of the same vintage, the GSXR will win in every performance category, and the SV would offer only a minimal improvement in comfort (if any) and possibly an easier to manage motor for commuting/traffic. Bit of a toss up between these two. I'd check insurance. Neither would be my choice for a commuter though. I'd probably look at something like a used Triumph Tiger 1050. Fun motor, upright seating, and used prices aren't bad if you search around.

Full disclosure: I have a 2006 SV650S which has essentially the same seating position as the SV1000S. Long commuting with stop and go was a pain. I've put on an LSL superbike bar kit that has greatly improved the situation.

If he still has it, he might be open for negotiation:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...50/1168824266?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

A Suzuki Bandit/GSX 1250 would be a nice commuter too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the Concours a "dinosaur" as it's still one of the most capable sport touring bikes out there. C14's and FJR's can also be found used for bargain prices in comparison to the newer adventure/sport/touring bikes. The 1000 XR is only marginally quicker than the Concours.....plus it's a BMW so you have to budget $5000 / month in maintenance. ;-)

I'm assuming that the OP also commutes 100k each way, and given that I do the same thing the size and power of the Concours are perfect (and the price was right too). It's also no slouch on the dragon.

Different strokes for different folks, but all the bikes mentioned are good bikes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the OP has a budget that falls well below the C14 or BMW XR level, otherwise he wouldn't have listed 15 year old bikes in the mix.

Of the TLS/TLR/SV siblings, I'd go with the SV, as I think there are move aftermarket options available (bar kits, windshields, etc.). Between the SV and GSXR of the same vintage, the GSXR will win in every performance category, and the SV would offer only a minimal improvement in comfort (if any) and possibly an easier to manage motor for commuting/traffic. Bit of a toss up between these two. I'd check insurance. Neither would be my choice for a commuter though. I'd probably look at something like a used Triumph Tiger 1050. Fun motor, upright seating, and used prices aren't bad if you search around.

Full disclosure: I have a 2006 SV650S which has essentially the same seating position as the SV1000S. Long commuting with stop and go was a pain. I've put on an LSL superbike bar kit that has greatly improved the situation.

If he still has it, he might be open for negotiation:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...50/1168824266?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

A Suzuki Bandit/GSX 1250 would be a nice commuter too.
Yep the budget is around $3000 canadian!
Hows the reliability and fuel efficiency between the I4 and the vtwin?
Ive only ridden vtwin and love the torque and powerband, havent had the chance to clock mileage though.
The list is between those and a couple of hondas, so balanced between fuel economy(lol) and comfort....

i4's are generally better on mileage, but it depends on the bike. I don't think you'll find a huge difference in mileage between any of those bikes. For not much more than that you could probably find an older FJR1300 that would be a great bike. Or Honda ST1300 but they're harder to find.

Also consider Suzuki Bandit 1200 or 1250's. They're rock solid. I had a Bandit 600S a couple years ago and it was awesome. Just me on the highway it was fine....good commuter, but I did feel the need for more power especially with a passenger.

So cheap commuter bike then?

OK, and want to stick with the models listed?

I'd just look on kijiji, find any that look good and see how they fit.

When looking at a 10 to 15 year old bike for the bikes listed, it's a matter of how they were maintained and used.

My preference is v powered but, nothing wrong with I4s.

Some Suzuki fanbois will able to list the mechanical things to look out for etc.

After market for rear sets, seat and bar risers can help with ergos.

I can play by the rules. Out of all the bikes you listed, the TL1000S will have the most comfortable seating position.

Oh, man TL1000S hands down. You can pick one up for a song. Nobody wants to buy these.
Find a good red 97. That was the fastest of the TLS.
Crazy fast machine for a v-twin.

I had two of them and loved the hell out of them.

The SV ruined the engine when they re-tuned it.

TLS was heavy and fuggly.

I've had a 00 TLS and and 02 GSXR1000. I rode the TLS down to Deals Gap and back over 4 days when I had it. It is fairly comfortable. Biggest draw back, at least when it comes to comfort on the TLS was that being a v-twin, it tends to have a bit more vibration than the in-line 4s. For 100km commute riding it would be fine. Loved the TLS, i had mine for 5 years. Been riding now for 17 seasons and I usually swap bikes out every other year. The GSXR would be fine as well. It will be easier to get replacement parts should you ever need them for the GSXR. I put my TL down towards then end of my ownership of it, and it was pretty hard to find good parts for it.

I suggest the SV1000
change pipes to reduce weight = better mileage and fun to ride
they have something called convertibars = they allow you to raise and lower the bars.
add some nice side bags and the SV is a solid bike
easy to change the oil
upgrade the master cylinder - get a 2004+ R1 or R6 master cylinder, with bottle, and lever less than $100 on Ebay

give the bike a full tune up, good sport touring tires, new fluids, new air filter, new plugs, new oil filter , maybe change the fork seals to be proactive, new battery possibly = worry free riding

easy bike to work on, you can do it yourself

Find some Yosh Tri-oval pipes, sounds awesome

100km is not a big deal on any bike. Pick one that blows your hair back.

Back
Top Bottom