Gloves - need your recommendation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gloves - need your recommendation

When I first showed up to ride with some friends back when I had first obtained my M licence, they all had a good laugh.
I had on a pair of $200 riding gloves.
They were supposed to be waterproof, ventilated and supply good traction on the throttle and clutch.
They were none of the above.
I looked at their gloves. They were $35 leather work gloves from Canadian Tire or Mark's Work Warehouse.
I got a pair and have never worn anything else.
They last an average of 5 riding seasons.

When I first showed up to ride with some friends back when I had first obtained my M licence, they all had a good laugh.
I had on a pair of $200 riding gloves.
They were supposed to be waterproof, ventilated and supply good traction on the throttle and clutch.
They were none of the above.
I looked at their gloves. They were $35 leather work gloves from Canadian Tire or Mark's Work Warehouse.
I got a pair and have never worn anything else.
They last an average of 5 riding seasons.

If you're comfortable with that go with it.
Most of the cruiser crowd put little faith in protective gear.
To each their own.

I've spent enough time at the track and on the street to test out more protective gear than I care to have. Not all are built to the same standard.
I've had $250 Alpinestars gloves tear open real easy.
I've had $500 Dainese gloves go through multiple track crashes. Same with Held.

Buy nice gear and you will like using it while it protects you.

If you're comfortable with that go with it.
Most of the cruiser crowd put little faith in protective gear.
To each their own.

I've spent enough time at the track and on the street to test out more protective gear than I care to have. Not all are built to the same standard.
I've had $250 Alpinestars gloves tear open real easy.
I've had $500 Dainese gloves go through multiple track crashes. Same with Held.

Buy nice gear and you will like using it while it protects you.

Agreed. It seems like the Held brand is a winner. Definitely going to check them out today.

Never been to GPBikes, but there selection seems to be fairly large, correct?

Agreed. It seems like the Held brand is a winner. Definitely going to check them out today.

Never been to GPBikes, but there selection seems to be fairly large, correct?

GP is probably the biggest retailer in the GTA.

I recommend the goretex gloves from Held I posted
You may have to special order.
I'd did through Corsameccanica.
I've ridden through rain for days on end and had dry hands. I've got 2 sets of these gloves right now. They are that good.
Waterproof gloves and boots are some of the best buys I've ever made.

+1

I am not a track rider, but for day to day riding I find these to work very well, on my 3rd season with the same pair and they are holding up very well, my only issue is I should have gotten all black, the white is getting dingy looking.

I avoid riding in the rain, so I cannot comment on their resistance to the wet.....

Bickle%20Glove%20II.jpg

John Bickle is a great guy and knows his stuff.
Once upon a time he was my instructor at Turn2 track school. I have no experience with his gloves. But probably worth a try as a track glove.
For the street where I ride in all conditions I prefer something waterproof.

You don't know how good your gloves are until it's too late
Never regretted spending money on quality gear.

John Bickle is a great guy and knows his stuff.
Once upon a time he was my instructor at Turn2 track school. I have no experience with his gloves. But probably worth a try as a track glove.
For the street where I ride in all conditions I prefer something waterproof.

You don't know how good your gloves are until it's too late
Never regretted spending money on quality gear.

There's only water resistant, not waterproof unless you're prepared to wear plastic bags on your hands.

There's only water resistant, not waterproof unless you're prepared to wear plastic bags on your hands.

I consider my Held racetex gloves waterproof.
I rode through Colorado while it was flooding a few years back. Roads were closing all around me. Raining like crazy. My hands were dry. If that's not waterproof then I guess nothing is. My feet were also dry, Puma boots with goretex. I think there is a trend here.

Handroids. It took 4 crashes for me to finally wreck em. And they aren't even badly wrecked, just the click mechanism broke.

I consider my Held racetex gloves waterproof.
I rode through Colorado while it was flooding a few years back. Roads were closing all around me. Raining like crazy. My hands were dry. If that's not waterproof then I guess nothing is. My feet were also dry, Puma boots with goretex. I think there is a trend here.

I stand corrected. ;)

油井緋色;2429881 said:
Handroids. It took 4 crashes for me to finally wreck em. And they aren't even badly wrecked, just the click mechanism broke.

They did their job. Better the gloves a bit messed up than your hands. Can't believe the amount of riders I see squiding it; or in shorty gloves that I would not trust to protect me gardening. My Velocity VR Pro gloves and A* SMX-5 boots may not be the best gear available but they are comfortable, easy to get on and off and provide some decent protection in case something happens.

I would second the velocity Gloves - Anyone that knows me knows that my first couple of racing seasons I liked to be laying down in the tarmac quite often and these gloves saved me many times, still using them. I have the short version for street and the long version for the track.

I have no experience with the Five gloves but these threads are worthwhile to check out if you are considering them:

http://www.kawiforums.com/gear-section/148359-five-rfx1-gloves.html

http://www.600rr.net/vb/21-helmets-leathers-boots-gloves/368953-dony-buy-five-rfx1-gauntlets.html

The threads are a little older. Maybe they have updated or improved the gloves since then?

I have Velocity VR Pro gauntlets which are probably overkill for street use but I am a believer in wearing good gear.

So the Helds don't fit right. Entry point is too small and it's a hassle to get them on. The pinky finger is like huge. They do feel nice though.

Fives fit fantastic. But you guys have stated they don't hold up too well in a fall.

Dianese D1 Longs is probably what I'm going to get. Sell me your black Velocity VR Pros - Large please...lol

So the Helds don't fit right. Entry point is too small and it's a hassle to get them on. The pinky finger is like huge. They do feel nice though.

Fives fit fantastic. But you guys have stated they don't hold up too well in a fall.

Dianese D1 Longs is probably what I'm going to get. Sell me your black Velocity VR Pros - Large please...lol

Fit is important. Gotta get something that fits.

I haven't crash tested mine but I've heard stories of all different brands of gloves not holding up. Each crash is different and IMO if your hand comes out of it with no damage the glove did its job. A lot depends on how the glove is cared for as well, 3 years of hot sweaty riding will deteriorate the glove so when you eventually have a fall it's probably going to be the last time you wear it.

Every crash is different. And you can't predict anything. Buy the best you can afford.
I had a light off at the track with some top of the line Alpinestars gloves. Glove was barely abraded. Bit the seams pulled apart. Hands were fine. Guess they did their job. Not confidence inspiring though. So I don't recommend them.

I have to chime in....

I was at a BMW rally back 7 years ago and passed by a table containing Held brand gloves. The sales guy was being the sales guy, of course stating there was nothing better on the market...yada yada yada.

I turned to a rider and the guy said that if you look after the gloves they will last a long time. Now I have to say these are just my summer gloves and offer adequate protection over the wrist bone, the double stitched leather "kangaroo" palm and fingers. I wear a size large or 9 in the Held line. I paid a mitt full... I am thinking $200US.

After 7 years and an average of 35K kilometres a season the back side of the stitching us just starting to pull away. In a word. AMAZING. Of course the gloves I own are not available as I have been on the search for the same ones. I am heading to the BMW rally in Hamburg NY next week to buy another set. Looking forward to passing on my expertice as a cruiser rider. ATGATT for me. Always dressing for the fall not the weather.

Ride safe out there my friends.

I would second the velocity Gloves - Anyone that knows me knows that my first couple of racing seasons I liked to be laying down in the tarmac quite often and these gloves saved me many times, still using them. I have the short version for street and the long version for the track.

I have the velocity gloves also, crash tested at the track twice, they have held up well.

Anyone come across gloves that are vented at the palms but still offer protection? Maybe perforated?

Incorrect
Absolutely drenched yesterday in New Brunswick for the last hour...13 degrees and pouring
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-07-07%2Bat%2BJul%252C%2B7%2B%2B%2B%2B2016%2B%2B%2B%2B9.07.34%2BPM.jpg

....First Gear gauntlets with D30 armor kept my hands dry. ( discussed elsewhere )
That's the not the level of protection being discussed here tho.

Even less armor, the Tour Master shorty gloves are also waterproof liner but get chilly for the reason stated....your hands do stay dry but I think they are too short for most Gortex jackets to get a good wrist seal.

Also....as with all Gortex membrane style products...your hands stay dry but the outer shell gets soaked. Without heated grips it gets chilly ....with heated grips they are just excellent. Kid retires his Handroids for a Gortex glove when it gets wet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom