Super Duke 1290 R | GTAMotorcycle.com

Super Duke 1290 R

I'd think for trips like that you might want to consider the Superduke 1290 GT

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I'd think for trips like that you might want to consider the Superduke 1290 GT

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I thank you for your reply, but it doesnt answer any of my 3 questions

Some people think you can't tour on a naked bike.
I do, I don't mind the wind.

I've been keeping my eye on the 1290 SD also.
Don't know if KTM has solved some of the teething issues.
Like the rear wheel wobble. Porous castings...

It's the only other bike that's caught my attention besides my current TuonoV4R.

I don't have one. I've never toured on one. I would assume the GT would be more comfortable and more enjoyable to do a 4000KM to 5000KM trip on because of the luggage and wind protection. Pull of the luggage and it's not a lot different that the R. I think the weight is only 35 pounds more.

Don't own the Duke 1290R, but did test ride one this year. Had it up to 160 (closed course - of course) and was surprised that the wind resistance wasn't bad at all. I've had a street triple up to that speed and felt I needed to hook my feet under the pegs just to stay on. I'm looking more for 2-up up 3-bag sport touring, so I'll wait for the GT, or maybe Yamaha will have a Tracer/FJ version of the MT-10/FZ-10 by then.

I don't own one. I would assume a Goldwing would be better.

You'd be silly to buy a FZ-10. It's like $50 cheaper than a Tuono 1100RR with 20whp more, Brembo brakes, modern traction control, wheelie control (as if you want that) and a quickshifter. The KTM is a nice piece of kit too.. fairly expensive but if you like v-twins it's a good one (other than the quirky KTM-ness).

Tuono is the other bike I was looking at, but I can get a really good deal on a 2015 KTM with less than a 1000km on it

This is really a subjective question. You can tour on anything, it comes down to what you can put up with. I have done 1000 kms days on my old Honda CB919. Would I do it now? No, I am spoiled by my GS for touring and really all motorcycling.

Some will say you can do it on the Super Duke, others no, ultimately you are the one who has to decide what you can and cannot live with. Now if you are looking for a bike specifically for touring, there are options more suited and designed for touring then the Super Duke that will be more ergonomic and generally more comfortable.

This is really a subjective question. You can tour on anything, it comes down to what you can put up with. I have done 1000 kms days on my old Honda CB919. Would I do it now? No, I am spoiled by my GS for touring and really all motorcycling.

Some will say you can do it on the Super Duke, others no, ultimately you are the one who has to decide what you can and cannot live with. Now if you are looking for a bike specifically for touring, there are options more suited and designed for touring then the Super Duke that will be more ergonomic and generally more comfortable.

This

My last long ride was to the dragon and we had an R1, Tuono, Monster and a CBR in the group, I was the only one who had a touring bike (Multistrada), but everyone seems fine riding theirs.

I like the Multi but I only get out on a multi day ride 1-2 times a year, the rest of the time its either day rides up north, hooligan stuff downtown, and the occasional commute

If you only tour once or twice a year get the bike that makes you smile every ride and make the best of it when on tour.
I ride long distances to get to the fun stuff. I don't want a SUV of a bike when I get there.
If my intent was off road then the SUV bike makes sense.
But like most SUV they never go off road.

I feel the same way. There are guys touring on RSV4s and Panigales. Can hardly imagine. But I guess they make good time... lol

If you only tour once or twice a year get the bike that makes you smile every ride and make the best of it when on tour.
I ride long distances to get to the fun stuff. I don't want a SUV of a bike when I get there.
If my intent was off road then the SUV bike makes sense.
But like most SUV they never go off road.

I have a big touring bike, BMW R1200GSA. I commute with it, ride around town (Kitchener Waterloo) and tour with it, I love how it handles for all of it I have no issues with a large bike in the city and the power is all there when I need and want it. Excellent grocery grabber having so much storage space. It also shines as a touring bike, large tank, great panniers that can be packed to the brim and then strap on the lids if needed.

If Ducati came out with a multi strada that had a shaft drive and a Nav system that could be controlled through the handlebars, I would give them a serious look when buying my next bike.

Sounds like you got the right bike wonderings, for your purpose. That's what it really come down to.
Sometimes you get caught up in the idea of touring and adventuring when reality is 90% of the time it's joy riding.
You really have to be honest with yourself and make the right buy.
Flip side is even if you don't get it right sell it and get something else.
I could eventually see riding the SUV bike. But it could never be my only bike.

Snowcat (YouTube motovlogger) just rode his new 1290r down to California from Calgary. Maybe check out his videos, I haven't seen his recent 2, so I'm not sure if he says anything about how the bike was to ride down there.

I rode my 2016 FZ-09 on a 4500 km trip through the Atlantic Provinces this year. Wind was no problem at all. I put a small windshield on and it was fine.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have the KTM SA 1290 with the same engine in tuned for a little more torque down low. The engine is nuts...really, really nice. Still pulls like a freight train in 6th and very well balanced too.

Maybe its not your cup of tea but the super adventure does everything the super duke can do and a lot more and the stock version has bags that come off easily and leave you with a naked look but with an adjustable screen, but it is a heavier bike and the looks are subjective. Switch the motor traction control off and it's a hooligan machine.

Personally I think the supernaked fight is between the S1000R and the Tuono 1100RR/F and the SD 1290R is better utilised in its GT format. That's 100% opinion-only, however. I can tell you one group that doesn't agree with me... Pikes Peak racers.

20160512001005-7234a0f3-me.jpg

G2G Racing following right behind me on a modded 1290R in that pic (yes he liked my pace, which was about 9/10ths ffs!!)

And because I just watched this last week...

[video=youtube;lX586jFyZXI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX586jFyZXI[/video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom