Rear Brake issue | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear Brake issue

Keep winding the adjustment nut - it may take a lot of turns before the brake engages.
When it finally starts to drag then back it off a few turns and check again.

I had tightened it pretty far. I will give that a try again tomorrow.

Did a re-adjustment, still wouldn't tighten enough to engage the breaks. Admitted defeat and took to ready powersports as its just up the street from me and I could easily ride there with the front breaks. Asked the tech to let me know how close I was and where I went wrong. All a learning experience and will only help in the long run. Will advise when I find out where I went wrong.

Did a re-adjustment, still wouldn't tighten enough to engage the breaks. Admitted defeat and took to ready powersports as its just up the street from me and I could easily ride there with the front breaks. Asked the tech to let me know how close I was and where I went wrong. All a learning experience and will only help in the long run. Will advise when I find out where I went wrong.

Good plan, and while you're there ask about getting a service manual if you plan on doing a lot of this kind of stuff yourself.

Good plan, and while you're there ask about getting a service manual if you plan on doing a lot of this kind of stuff yourself.

yeah, going to check online for one. I imagine it would be cheaper that way. About to spend enough on the repair I am sure.

Update. Apart from a bolt in backwards on the tension rod,the work I did was fine. The brake adjusting lever however is stripped and needs to be replaced. Also there is a wiring harness falling down under the rear fender hitting the wheel, the horn is not attached and needs to be replaced, and finally my chain and sprocket are in very poor condition. Replacing it all and won't have the bike back until next week. It sucks and it continues to be a very hard and expensive lesson to learn on my first bike, but onwards and upwards. I just want to ride. Need this bike in good shape when I sell it next year and upgrade.

When the dust has settled, go have a long chat with whoever just certified your bike.
These are all safety related issues that must be inspected and repaired when doing a certification.
If something bad had happened to you, they could have been liable and most certainly be in big trouble with the Ministry.
Ask for compensation for time lost and money out of pocket.
If they don't want to do anything then report them and take them to small claims court.

I'd be skipping the small claims court thing (good luck collecting even if you win and it'll cost you almost as much as what you likely paid to even file the claim) and just skip directly to the reporting them to the MTO.

Brakes that literally fall apart and electrical harnesses that are hitting the wheel, not to mention what you suggest are dangerously worn drivetrain parts do not constitute a proper safety being completed. Whoever did it needs to have their licence to do safeties revoked.

Thanks for the suggestions. Small claims court is not worth it from my experience. Some of this I take some blame for as I should have done a little more research into the bike and safety procedures. It seemed odd to me at the time he was doing the safety that he was simply just walking around the bike pretty quickly and not really doing much, but i simply trusted him. The experience from buying a bike that wasn't running right, to the poor safety check and subsequent issues certainly was an expensive lesson. Not sure if reporting him is the right choice. Need to think about that one for a bit. For now I have to wait again as the bike won't be ready until next week. And that is the part that sucks the most. Loss of riding time.

Not sure if reporting him is the right choice.

Think about the next person.

If it had of been the front brake that failed (the far more critical one) while you were exiting the 401 (for example) it could have ended very badly.

Or that hanging wire harness wore through your back tire while you were on a busy highway and sent you into opposing traffic. Same thing, could end very badly.

Don't try to blame yourself - you paid good money to have someone who was supposedly trained and knowledgeable to inspect the bike and tell you that it was safe. It's not your job nor did you at the time have the knowledge to draw a conclusion one way or another. The person you paid to tell you that your bike was safe failed to do their job putting YOUR life at risk as a direct result. Thankfully your situation (which was hardly a minor thing, you suffered a complete loss of 50% of your brakes!) didn't end badly but eventually someone is going to get injured or worse as a result of that sort of shoddy work.

Think about the next person.

If it had of been the front brake that failed (the far more critical one) while you were exiting the 401 (for example) it could have ended very badly.

Or that hanging wire harness wore through your back tire while you were on a busy highway and sent you into opposing traffic. Same thing, could end very badly.

Don't try to blame yourself - you paid good money to have someone who was supposedly trained and knowledgeable to inspect the bike and tell you that it was safe. It's not your job nor did you at the time have the knowledge to draw a conclusion one way or another. The person you paid to tell you that your bike was safe failed to do their job putting YOUR life at risk as a direct result. Thankfully your situation (which was hardly a minor thing, you suffered a complete loss of 50% of your brakes!) didn't end badly but eventually someone is going to get injured or worse as a result of that sort of shoddy work.

Very good point.

Update....parts needed are on back order from Yamaha. Apparently they are the only ones you can order the part from in Canada...so now my bike that I just bought, I won't be able to ride until at least Aug 23rd or so. So very frustrated in the process and mad that I will miss almost a month of riding now.

Update....parts needed are on back order from Yamaha. Apparently they are the only ones you can order the part from in Canada...so now my bike that I just bought, I won't be able to ride until at least Aug 23rd or so. So very frustrated in the process and mad that I will miss almost a month of riding now.

Maybe the shop that just certified it would like to rent you a replacement bike in the meantime in lieu of you reporting them to the MTO.

Maybe the shop that just certified it would like to rent you a replacement bike in the meantime in lieu of you reporting them to the MTO.

The shop that did the safety is pretty far from me. I will just suck it up and deal with it. About the time I get it back my M2 upgrade is ready. Still have September and maybe even October the way the weather has been the last few years. Got a lifetime of riding now ahead of me. Trade up from this bike next year and will do my research on the next purchase.

Thanks for all your help and support.

Very good point.

did you try any of the US dealerships, sometimes they have parts in stock, might pay a bit for shipping but you will get the parts faster

I have used these guys in the past

http://www.partsoutlaw.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom