Rear Brake issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear Brake issue

trainerdude

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2006 Yamaha Virago 250 and although it passed safety and I can ride it ok, the rear brake tends to stick or lock up when applied too quick. I hear a louder clunk and it clamps down hard, then releases and is fine for a bit until it does it again. I can control the bike fine using my front break and rear together since I know what to expect, but I would like to smooth out the rear brake experience.

Any thoughts on what this might be and is it a fix I could do myself as a non mechanical guy? I would like to try and do as much work on my bike as I can myself over time.

Thanks

Drum brakes can sometimes grab like this if the shoe linings are contaminated, if there's rust on the drum's inner surface, if the drum is not round, if the brakes were reassembled incorrectly and so on.

If the bike has sat for long periods I'd tend to think there's rust on the inner surface of the drum. Some will probably pop veins in their necks in response to what I'm about to say but you might try riding at low speed in a safe environment (e.g. a parking lot) and applying the rear brake for an extending period of time; not enough to lock the wheel or slow the bike appreciably but enough to get some heat and friction to freshen the surfaces of the shoes/linings and drum surface. Apply the brake lightly for, say, 10 seconds at 20kph and then release and let the brakes cool. Wait a minute or two and repeat. Do this a couple of times and then see if the brake function is different (e.g. is it still locking when used normally?)

If the brakes still malfunction, I'd take it to a dealer or trusted shop and have them look at it.

x2 drag the brakes a little, this isn't unheard of with rusty brake drums - dragging them will help polish up the drum surface and knock any crud off the shoes as well and will often help reduce or eliminate the issue.

It could mean you need to replace your worn out brake shoes.
There is an inspection routine outlined in your manual.

It could mean you need to replace your worn out brake shoes.
There is an inspection routine outlined in your manual.
Surely not if it just passed safety?

This is after the idling issue? Hopefully you got that solved..I'm no expert but is it possible that it just needs a cable adjustment?

Last edited:
Check the pivot for the brake pedal as well - it might need a spot of cleaning and grease.

This is after the idling issue? Hopefully you got that solved..I'm no expert but is it possible that it just needs a cable adjustment?

Yeah, the bike is running great now since the mechanic cleaned the carbs and put in new plugs. He did adjust the brakes when he did the inspection and I am wondering now if he simply adjusted them too tight?

Yeah, the bike is running great now since the mechanic cleaned the carbs and put in new plugs. He did adjust the brakes when he did the inspection and I am wondering now if he simply adjusted them too tight?

Why don't you take it back to the mechanic ? If someone has adjusted it...maybe it needs to be adjusted again / fixed / parts replaced

Why don't you take it back to the mechanic ? If someone has adjusted it...maybe it needs to be adjusted again / fixed / parts replaced

He isn't all that close to where I live. It was a little out of the way for the safety as well but he did same day ones and so I went the extra to where he was. Good service and nice guy, was just hoping it was a simple fix I could do myself. I will try the suggestion earlier and if not, I may just take it back to him and enjoy the ride there :)

Check the pivot for the brake pedal as well - it might need a spot of cleaning and grease.

Same goes for the cam that pushes the shoes apart

He isn't all that close to where I live. It was a little out of the way for the safety as well but he did same day ones and so I went the extra to where he was. Good service and nice guy, was just hoping it was a simple fix I could do myself. I will try the suggestion earlier and if not, I may just take it back to him and enjoy the ride there :)

ah makes sense!

post up a video of the caliper moving and the pedal....lets see what it could be.

where are you located? maybe a forum member can help

Take the wheel off and inspect the rear brake period, you don't need and surprises with brakes.

Yea man clean and balanced carbs makes a hell of a difference lol

You should talk to Frekeyguy, he does great work and his rates are very reasonable.
Yes, I mean ^^ that Frekeyguy. He works on bikes and everybody loves his work.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

You should talk to Frekeyguy, he does great work and his rates are very reasonable.
Yes, I mean ^^ that Frekeyguy. He works on bikes and everybody loves his work.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Oh Cool! Great to know! I really would like to learn as much as I can on this smaller bike before I upgrade my bike when I get my full M.

That's the beauty of Frekeyguy, he'll tell what's going on, explain it so you understand and help you learn.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom