trouble selling motorcycle. help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

trouble selling motorcycle. help?

Only thing you are doing wrong is being impatient. Not sure how quickly you expected to sell this, but you pretty much just posted it... Unless it's a steal of a deal, things sometimes take a while to sell.

As Supahtim says, be patient. Unless it is a Vincent, Brough Superior, etc or grossly under priced (And they'll still lowball you) it will take time.

Location is also a factor. People don't impulse buy bikes like they do candy bars but it is a factor. Is there a place where you can safely display your bike with a "For Sale" sign?

For a start, get some new pictures.
Ones without a pickup truck or your hoard of trash in the background.
Ride it over to a park or some pleasant backdrop.
Take photos of the bike from the front right side showing the entire front and right side of the bike.
Then from the rear left, showing the entire rear and left side of the bike.
A close up of the speedometer showing the mileage is good.
A separate shot of any extras is also a good idea, but make sure only the things that go with the bike are included.
This is why the company uses professional photographers for their brochures.
It's all in the presentation.
The first shot that comes up when you click on the ad should be a show stopper. It should grab the buyers attention and interest.

Last edited:
Might want to remove the picture with the license plate mucho thieves abound

Probably not the greatest time of year, either - most people are busy riding now, not thinking about changing bikes and all the hassles and potential downtime that goes along with it.

Theres also the newbie advice many receive to stay away from anything in the sport bike list with the letter "R" in the model so that may be steering some potential new riders away. Not sure if this one is treated different by insurers for having the R moniker, but it is what it is.

1. EX500 is a outdated bike, same bike since the late 80's.
2. 36k for a entry level bike will seem like high kms for most buyers in that segment.
3. $2750 - is a bit high for that bike, you can buy nice SV650's with a bunch of upgrades for that or lower.
4. 2009 model, but purchased in 2011 - so you can see its not a high demand bike.
5. New parts put on - but don't see what kind of parts, or who did the work, or how many kms ago.
6. Doesn't say if the regular maintaince has been done, that ex500 service manual calls for plugs, air filter, valves etc etc.
7. Pictures are poor.
8. you don't say if the bike is being sold 'as-is' or certified

Might want to remove the picture with the license plate mucho thieves abound

... I don't think thieves will be looking for an '09 ninja 500 to steal......

Would probably be eyeing those that post up their SS bikes for sale with their condo address more than anything...

Also problem is 500cc and Toronto = insurance jump

My friend is having a horrible time trying to sell an 08 F800 with 15k on the OD for an asking of $6k. IMO he's priced at least $500 above of selling prices.

... I don't think thieves will be looking for an '09 ninja 500 to steal......

Would probably be eyeing those that post up their SS bikes for sale with their condo address more than anything...

They're easy bikes to steal and people go joy riding with them...not really for financial gain. I had one stolen from me multiple times. The 3rd time it was unrecovered.

I looked at your ad and there is nothing glaringly bad about it.

Next, I did an all-Ontario search for EX500s. Most of the private sales are a bit older than your bike (obviously, since yours is a 2009), and asking 1500-2000. There are a handful in the same price range, and a couple of dealers trying to flog them for around $4000. Don't take my word for it, see for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

A couple of suggestions. 1) Explicitly state in the ad that you have the UVIP report ready for the buyer. 2) Certify the bike and say so in the ad (maybe even in the headline). I realize that this is a gamble, as the certification might expire before you find a buyer. These are two things that I really like to see in the ad, because they mean that the seller has done his homework and I won't have to worry about these details if I buy the bike.

I would guess that you are asking a reasonable price, but if you are in a hurry to sell, be prepared to lower your asking price every week or two. I didn't even know that EX500s were still in production in 2009, so I doubt that many new riders are shopping for them. It is probably a low-demand bike. (Suggestion #3: include "perfect first bike" in the title line.)

There's nothing wrong with the ad, but it's not noteworthy either. It helps if you stick out a bit. What makes your bike the one people should buy? You have a lot of benefits with that bike that are hidden in the ad, and one drawback (the mileage). Put a positive spin on it all and make it memorable.

Title: Top notch EX500 looking for another lover.

Pristine bike, meticulously maintained. This thing's been great to me. It's the last version of the EX500, bought it new (my first bike), never dropped. Easy, fun bike and affordable too. I've loved this bike all over the [province, country... whatever], and it's ready for another lover <3 <3 <3.

Recent maintenance includes:
Oil change (every 5000km)
New rear tire
New front and rear pads
New sprocket set all around
New chain
New clutch cable

And like others said, get new pictures.

Patience is key. I had my bike listed since November, and while I didn't think it would move over the winter, it took until yesterday to sell. Definitely take new pictures with a nicer backdrop. I found relisting every few weeks with a few different pics helped to drive traffic.

Make sure you ask yourself what the minimum price you are willing to take is, and be prepared to get offered less than that.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with the ad, but it's not noteworthy either. It helps if you stick out a bit. What makes your bike the one people should buy? You have a lot of benefits with that bike that are hidden in the ad, and one drawback (the mileage). Put a positive spin on it all and make it memorable.

Pristine bike, meticulously maintained. This thing's been great to me. It's the last version of the EX500, bought it new (my first bike), never dropped. Easy, fun bike and affordable too. I've loved this bike all over the [province, country... whatever], and it's ready for another lover <3 <3 <3.

New rear tire
New front and rear pads
New chain
New clutch cable

I suddenly want to buy an EX500.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

1. EX500 is a outdated bike, same bike since the late 80's.
2. 36k for a entry level bike will seem like high kms for most buyers in that segment.
3. $2750 - is a bit high for that bike, you can buy nice SV650's with a bunch of upgrades for that or lower.
4. 2009 model, but purchased in 2011 - so you can see its not a high demand bike.
5. New parts put on - but don't see what kind of parts, or who did the work, or how many kms ago.
6. Doesn't say if the regular maintaince has been done, that ex500 service manual calls for plugs, air filter, valves etc etc.
7. Pictures are poor.
8. you don't say if the bike is being sold 'as-is' or certified

+1 say certified with UVIP

with a price drop to ...$2599..?

be patient - many people w $2500 may opt to buy a new bike.

on the plus side - NEVER DROPPED- highlight, BETTER than average condition ex500

UVIP and CERTIFIED is huge = sale

I think the Ninja 500 is an awesome starter bike....and beats most bikes in the 650 and less category for its styling....
I own its twin the vulcan 500.
To give you a bit of reference - mine is a 2009, with just over 16K kms, and similar to your bike never dropped, and in great condition with only a minor scratch here or there, which is nothing but usual wear for a bike that old.
It came recently serviced, newer tires, highways bars, saddle bags, and a full windshield. Delivered to my place for $2,900....
So, maybe you need to go a little lower on the price......
And if you want to sell faster.....well, maybe need to go down even more

Last edited:
mini thread jack...

How were Kawasaki selling these bike in 08-09 and why were people buying them? I just can't believe how dated it looks compared to my two year OLDER 07 Yamaha FZ6.

Was it priced so low that it was actually worth buying?? I don't remember what the price was when new.

mini thread jack end

New rear tire
New front and rear pads
New chain
New clutch cable

That is what the OP should update his ad to say. In addition to the other great advice already given I would recommend a price drop to $2450. That plus more and better pics. Show some closeups to show how pristine the bike is, show the odometer etc.

Perhaps say something to the effect of: "why buy a starter bike you will outgrow in a year? This bike will still put a smile on your face years into ownership".

I know these are great bikes. A couple of years back I was at a Kawi demo day and I was chatting with a guy on a Fireblade and asking him about his bike. A guy cruised in a really ratty looking EX500. He had it for a long time, had toured with it, tracked it etc. He was still happy with his trusty mount and had no plans to move on anytime soon. Yes, the bike might appear a little "dated". You could also say that it is kind of "classic". In a group of parked bikes it would actually stand out.

I think an improved ad with a price drop will help get that bike moved. The right buyer is out there.

1. park it in an underground lot downtown
2. it WILL get stolen
3. collect insurance payout

Back
Top Bottom