Where should I say I live? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where should I say I live?

smashervt

Hello everyone. I am new here and have a quick question. I have my M2 and training course and I am 20. I know insurance is not cheap as the cheapest i have managed to get it $220 a month. I am planning to go to school in Barrie and I will be living there from sept to April. I live with my parents and our house is in Vaughan. What would I tell insurance? Could I use the address of the house I will be renting in Barrie to get a cheaper insurance quote?

It would probably be best to ask an agent, since if you want to ride before September, you'll have a different billing address.

Given the date range hasn't started yet and covers more of the non-riding season than riding season, I'm guessing you'll have to use the Vaughan address. Last thing you want is to commit insurance fraud, plus not have any coverage should bad things happen.

Also, and I could be wrong, they'll want to know where the bike sleeps most of the time. It it lives/sleeps mainly in Vaughan, then there is your answer.

Also - the insurance co will also want to know who else lives at your address. Unless you are renting/residing by yourself, I suspect that your family at home would be less risk than the other students at the school/rental address.

What's the address on your driver's license?

What's the address that any documents from the government go to? (income tax etc)

That's the address you have to use.

Now, whether you choose to officially move to wherever you are staying in Barrie (thus switching all the aforementioned stuff over) is something for you to decide.

You are supposed to inform them of address change. I was previously going to school in Ottawa and told my insurance company so. My auto rates went down to well under half that of the rates in Brampton. I kept myself insured in Ottawa year round even though I came back to Toronto for the summers. Pretty sure I was supposed to inform and swap back to my Toronto address but didn't care to pay the substantially higher rate. Best to clear it up with your insurance company and decide from there

The main thing to do is to advise the insurance company what your legal address is, and the address where the bike will be primarily garaged.

Be upfront with this information and let them rate accordingly.

otherwise, when/if the day comes, you could get dumped, cut off & on your own, most often very easy to find out

Last edited:
To keep this subject simple, your address should be where all your legal documents go to:
Phone bill, Drivers license, Ownership, Credit card address, etc, etc.

Companies will investigate why you are rated on an address that does not match any info you may have, specially if it's a lower rated territory.
If anyone ends up in that situation it's up to the rider/driver to prove otherwise, could be a lot of let work.

The main thing to do is to advise the insurance company what your legal address is, and the address where the bike will be primarily garaged.

Be upfront with this information and let them rate accordingly.

This is the right answer. The insurer needs to know the best way to get you paperwork in case of necessity but the rate is determined by where the vehicle is garaged, usage, etc. The billing address can differ from the usage address.

Insurance companies are money grubbing sob's and they aren't stupid when they investigate a claim.

Keep yourself aware of any other riders in that rented house. If someone gets an M1 unknown to you that could affect your coverage.

Riding a motorcycle in Barrie in the winter????

If you have an at fault in Vaughn in June will you still have a residency in Barrie?

That $229 is weighted for the summer months so an address change to the GTA will reflect that.

If someone in your house also has an M-class license, you can exclude them on your policy using an OPCF28A endorsement so that your rates aren't impacted by them:

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1069E.pdf

When you meet with your insurer, you must tell them your living situation just like you told us here. The insurer will decide where you should be rated. I believe that you should be rated in Vaughan since that is where your bike is parked during the months that you would actually be riding the bike. I wouldn't be doing this as a money grab -- if it were the opposite situation where your bike was parked in Barrie during the riding months, I would rate you there instead.

Back
Top Bottom