How to break in a new bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to break in a new bike?

Hi guys i wanted to know how to break in a new bike. I am constantly hearing 2 things 1 is follow the manual second is ride it hard and dont follow the manual.
Can someone with a lot of experience help me out?

I am getting a yamaha r3

You must be a new rider? Take it easy and be safe, riding hard will come in time and your bike will be ready when you are. I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but if you end up all busted up because someone said ride it hard....then why care about the bike.

I think the TL;DR of it all is if you break it in hard, you might get a bit more performance, but potentially at a huge cost to engine life. If you break it in as per manual/easier, then you will get more average performance and a more average lifespan. Yes they break in race bikes/engines hard, but those engines also only have to last a race or two before they are rebuilt yet again.

End of the day, I'd put my faith in what the engineers said to do vs a few on the Internet. The biggest thing though, is let the engine warm up, and you don't want to rev the engine too high while cold, and you also don't want to lug the engine while riding. Varying the revs so you don't sit at a specific value (eg. 6000rpm) is also a good idea. Can easily be done by shifting up and down every few minutes, or varying speed by 10-15km/h. Some bike manuals will also say to go easy for the first 500km, then go progressively harder over the next 500 or so km.

Also, as a new rider, you need to take it slow and get used to riding. Attempting to break in a bike hard could be bad for you as well.

Welcome.... I would suggest searching here for the countless previous threads on this topic. Everyone has their own opinion and you should really just research everyones research and form your own educated opinion on what you feel is right

What oil should you use? Oops, getting ahead of myself. I would break it in as per the manual.

Follow Yamaha's recommendations. They built it, they're going to warranty it if need be. Following Jimbobs, Internet sourced, race engine break in program, is going to either get you hurt, or the bike broken. And get you zero support from Yamaha.

The OP's questions is quite valid since, just as what oil, oil filter, Octane etc etc etc to use....there's a huge debate about how to break in a bike motor. (as well as how soon to do the first oil change)

What oil should you use? Oops, getting ahead of myself. I would break it in as per the manual.

Coconut oil. Do not forget to change your air to Summer air after you take it out of storage. Ditto, as in the manual. The End.

Follow the manual as close as practical. We know that almost no new bike gets kept below the RPM limits they put in the manuals, and I have never seen a failure because of it. I try and tell riders to take it easy, mostly so they get used to the new bike rather than the break-in but it works both ways.

First oil change is at 1000 km and I tend to stick with Yamalube mineral oil (10w40) for the first change, then switch (to synthetic) at the second change if you are going to.

Normal octane is fine for the R3: 87... 89 whatever. It's a global bike, designed for fuel all over the world, some is better than North America's, some is a lot worse.

Normal octane is fine for the R3: 87... 89 whatever. It's a global bike, designed for fuel all over the world, some is better than North America's, some is a lot worse.

89 here if you follow the manual. I didn't believe it until I pulled the manual and posted to the other thread.

Back
Top Bottom