71 suzuki t250 engine seized | GTAMotorcycle.com

71 suzuki t250 engine seized

Hey everyone. Was on kijiji and found an ad for a 71 suzuki t250 for 1000$, the owner had it running last year and put some work into it (new signals, pistons, grips, cylinders) but the engine is seized... im looking for a cheap first bike in the 250-300cc range, is this bike not worth it?

Hey everyone. Was on kijiji and found an ad for a 71 suzuki t250 for 1000$, the owner had it running last year and put some work into it (new signals, pistons, grips, cylinders) but the engine is seized... im looking for a cheap first bike in the 250-300cc range, is this bike not worth it?
Would definitely stay away from it as a first bike unless you want to tinker more than ride. A seized engine sounds costly to repair or replace unless you're doing it yourself and then even still. There's plenty of Ninjas and CBRs and R3s nowadays for 2000-2500 that require little to anything to ride and maintain.

No, avoid. I learned the hard way back in January to not buy anything that wouldn't start/run. Especially for $1000. There are working bikes out there for $1000, they will need plenty of love, but they work. A 71 with a seized engine is scrap metal in need of a total restore, don't pay more then maybe $200.

Edit:
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-street-cruisers-choppers/ontario/c303l9004?price=__1200&engine-displacement-cc=200__300

Yeah lots more to choose from in better condition. I really wish Kijiji sellers would look at what else is out there and realize that what they're selling ain't worth $$$$.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, definitely going to stay away from that now. Also smc thanks for the link, so many better options.

I'm guessing this is it:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ke/1174961064?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I wouldn't go quite landfill yet, it looks to be in very good cosmetic shape for a 71. It would make a good restore project, but do you want to spend your summer doing an engine restore, or do you want to ride? I am suspicious of how it was supposedly "safetied and running last year" and "new pistons, rings and cylinders professionally honed" yet the engine is seized.

Front drum brakes, no thanks.

I'm guessing this is it:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ke/1174961064?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I wouldn't go quite landfill yet, it looks to be in very good cosmetic shape for a 71. It would make a good restore project, but do you want to spend your summer doing an engine restore, or do you want to ride? I am suspicious of how it was supposedly "safetied and running last year" and "new pistons, rings and cylinders professionally honed" yet the engine is seized.

Front drum brakes, no thanks.

From the photos, its worth about $300 'as is', and would be maybe $700 if it was running. Asking price $1K is ridiculous.

My wife recently sold her 1996 ninja 250 for $1000. Guy changed the stator cover gasket and replaced the broken front fender and it safetied and he's riding.
I bet her she wouldn't get $500 for because of its age. I lost. The first guy that came over bought it. I had to do the dinner dishes for two weeks.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

A seized engine from sitting is not a big deal, I've purchased multiple bikes (xj550, gs650) that were both seized from sitting. Pour some ATF fluid in the cylinders, let it set for a day then slowly try turning the engine over with a wrench. Both of those bikes that were seized are now on the road, one being my daily. Now if this engine is seized from overheating, then yes that is a much bigger task. Furthermore these t250 hustlers are actually worth quite a bit, my friend sold his last month for $1700, mind you it was running and certified.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Get one of the CM250 for sale on Kijiji. Great little bike, requires little maintenance and it can be modded into a really nice café or scrambler easily.

For a new rider I'd join try chorus and wouldn't recommend it simply for the fact you are going to spend more time tinkering and making repairs on Vs riding, coupled with the reality that parts are going to be difficult to find.

You can find early to mid 2000 era 250 cruisers (marauder or vstar for but 2 examples) for a few hundred more (in running condition) and you'll be on a bike that's reasonably modern with tons and tons of parts availability and online resources.

Back
Top Bottom