Thinking of scootering | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of scootering

Went to visit a BW50 today. Looked alright, but the mud flap at the back was broken (seems common) and the electric start didn't work. There were some confusing bits though.

1. It had a green plate. The owner said that's what scooters get? I was hoping to just transfer my motorcycle plate.

2. I was under the impression that when off the throttle scooters just went into neutral, yet after only releasing the back brake from starting it quickly accelerates. Is the only way to move it when it's off?

3. The turn signals only worked when I released the brake.

It did have 16000km which for one of these is a lot, but I didn't hear any engine noise. Forgot to ask why they were selling it.

I'm not sure about the plate, someone else will know more. Any scooter I've ever ridden does not just take off when I release the brakes. I could sit still idling with no brakes, then just twist it and it goes. Something's not right there. The turn signals have to work all the time, especially when the brake is on. Unless you feel like tinkering, I'd look around at some other scoots for sale.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Any scooter I've ever ridden does not just take off when I release the brakes. I could sit still idling with no brakes, then just twist it and it goes. Something's not right there. The turn signals have to work all the time, especially when the brake is on. Unless you feel like tinkering,

Yeah that's what I thought, and I'm tired of tinkering.

Iceman, that isn't it. It's the orange one in Ajax for $800. Maybe I was just doing something wrong.

Yeah that's what I thought, and I'm tired of tinkering.

Iceman, that isn't it. It's the orange one in Ajax for $800. Maybe I was just doing something wrong.
Yeah I saw the orange one. That's why I posted this one, seems like a good deal.

I kicked around the idea of a Honda Rukus as a little brother to the Goldwing but bailed when Riders Plus told me insurance would be about a grand. One rider in house, the usual BS.

Re throttle, aren't scooters supposed to have the equivalent of a centrifugal clutch so it can idle without applying power to the wheels?

@nobbie48 I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that those Ruckus' get modded like crazy?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Went to see another BWS50 today. Had the same issue with not being able to idle, back tire just keeps spinning into infinity. Wasn't as jarring as the one yesterday though. I did wait a good while for it to warm up, but no difference and this one only had 2000km on it.

The Ruckus' probably have high insurance due to the fact you're lucky if it's not stolen in the first day of ownership.

I did a little research today. If the bike is on its center stand and the wheel keeps spinning, it's pretty much normal. If it's doing this with both wheels on the ground, the idle is likely too high, which begins to engage the CV clutch. You can simply adjust the idle. The other thing Yamaha owners have reported to cause this is clutch weights getting hung up, or valve adjustment required.
Either way, it sounds like an easy fix and I wouldn't worry too much.

@nobbie48 I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that those Ruckus' get modded like crazy?

It's hard to find a stock one. Still, the insurance over three years equals the new price of the scoot????

It's hard to find a stock one. Still, the insurance over three years equals the new price of the scoot????

You're insuring your body more than you are the scoot, and the potential cost to put your body back in order after a crash are a lot higher than replacing a scoot.

If back wheel is spinning it is either idle is too high or the electronic choke is not functionuing. Whether 2t or 4 t the wheel should stop when on center stand.

Thanks, the one I saw today wasn't too bad, probably just needed the idle adjusted. Like Iceman was saying, if it was taken off the stand it would have either stopped or been manageable. The one I saw on Saturday was trying to shake itself off the stand. Visiting eshum tomorrow.

You're insuring your body more than you are the scoot, and the potential cost to put your body back in order after a crash are a lot higher than replacing a scoot.

I know that when I have two bikes and I'm the only rider it's going to cost the insurance company twice as much to fix my body when I fall off one of the bikes. Yeah, sarcasm.

Bought eshum's scooter. Idled properly, even the electric start and horn worked.

Will it pass safety without the right reflector and mudflap? Read someplace reflectors and fenders/wheel coverings are an issue.

I feel like a matchmaker ?

Just make something to pass safety then remove it.
Who said that???

I feel like a matchmaker 

Yes, thank you for that. I never even thought to check the sales section of this site.

Unfortunately failed safety due the front brake pads being totally worn out, as in non-existent. Had to leave it at KMM, hopefully I'll be puttering about by the weekend.

You probably want to touch base with the Toronto moto scooter group for scooter stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

The list was based on what I could find on Kijiji at the time. I like the Cub and it's clones and there are a few on Kijiji, but they're in disrepair and rather far away. I can't afford anything new and I wanted something that could be on the road quickly. Maybe I'll buy a winter project, but for now my patience for maintenance has been eaten up by my beat-up Shadow.

Back
Top Bottom