Toronto Parking Status into the Future | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto Parking Status into the Future

Outbound

I understand that street P parking is free but I heard rumblings that it could be taken away. I google search but only got early 2015 stories talking about this where you will register you plate when paying for parking. So what is the current thought on where motorcycle parking will be in the near future?'

I am looking to commute by motorcycle which will save me $5 a day on parking plus the gas saving. This savings is about equal to what the extra insurance will cost.

Anyone have a crystal ball?

The City of Toronto is looking into a bunch of ways to raise more money.
It is entirely possible they may start charging motorcycles to park on the street.
However there have been no specific references to this in the media recently.
It appears the main thrust at the moment is to make lanes on the DVP and Gardiner toll lanes.
If they do make motorcycles pay for street parking, the next problem will be with other vehicles grabbing your receipt and using it for themselves.
How much do you want to bet no one at City Hall will even consider this beforehand.
YOU will be the one stuck with the tag of course.

I live downtown and a great many motorcycles and scooters park on my street during business hours.
Perhaps I will become a professional witness. I will watch you as you pay to park and then go to court with you to fight the tag.
A nominal fee would be applied.
I'm just joking of course, but it could be a growth industry.

Last edited:
The City of Toronto is looking into a bunch of ways to raise more money.
It is entirely possible they may start charging motorcycles to park on the street.
However there have been no specific references to this in the media recently.
It appears the main thrust at the moment is to make lanes on the DVP and Gardiner toll lanes.
If they do make motorcycles pay for street parking, the next problem will be with other vehicles grabbing your receipt and using it for themselves.
How much do you want to bet no one at City Hall will even consider this
Parking authority has looking into it, that's why they're looking at a pay-by-plate system.

And that's why we have someone keeping an eye on city council meetings (it has its own sticky) to see if/when they talk about moto parking so we can all go together like a big family and say no.

When they make us pay it will be in a way without a slip of paper. Pay by plate punched into a terminal or something. My understanding is that is the next evolution of pay parking the city wants to go to.

Green P already lets you pay via mobile device and plate, so they could easily include motorcycles in future.

Maybe I'm an oddity, but if it wasn't that expensive and meant dedicated spots with lines (and anchor to chain to), I'd pay to park a bike. Never been a fan of how some people will park their bike within 1-2 inches of someone else's.

Green P already lets you pay via mobile device and plate, so they could easily include motorcycles in future.

Maybe I'm an oddity, but if it wasn't that expensive and meant dedicated spots with lines (and anchor to chain to), I'd pay to park a bike. Never been a fan of how some people will park their bike within 1-2 inches of someone else's.
That won't stop it from happening.

And that was kinda part of the point of having motorcycles for free downtown, they are supposed to take a fraction of the space of a car

Niagara Falls already has a pay by plate street parking system in place... not too far fetched for toronto to set it up

Niagara Falls already has a pay by plate street parking system in place... not too far fetched for toronto to set it up

So how do people who don't live in Niagara Falls pay to park?
If I ride my bike down to the Falls for the day I would have to use the street machine and risk having someone take the receipt.

If I ride my bike down to the Falls for the day I would have to use the street machine and risk having someone take the receipt.

If it is like the system already in place for some Green P lots here...you'd either pay via app on your phone, or there would be a meter somewhere that you would enter your plate info and pay. Parking enforcement would look up each plate vs looking for a tag attached to the vehicle.

Parked in Niagara Falls on the bike once. It's a tag system, not an app or keyed entry meter. You have two parts to the ticket. One you place on the vehicle the other you keep. Anyone steals the one on the bike and you get a ticket, you have the other half as proof of payment to challenge the ticket.

Street parking payment machine asks for license plate number. If a vehicle isn't showing teh slip, the system still has a record of the plate, the length of time purchased, and how much time is remaining.

Back
Top Bottom