First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please

good to know about the Red Dawn track days, I don't think I'll have the bike ready for then. I am also based out of London so heading to grand bend is the easiest for me to start out with. I have a Racer 5 endurance race coming up on the 17 & 18th so that'll most likely be my last track fix for the year. Start off fresh on the new ride next year with a long off season to make sure it's all ready to go and have some fun.

thanks Dricked! I'll just grab some from the local shop and trim as needed. I hope to one day be slow enough to show at the same track day as you and watch. lol

I just noticed the comment about greasing those pivot points and such as well. I'll take that into account as well.

Do track days have tech inspections, I know my bike will be safe when I make the venture out but I'd hate to get hung up and not be able to track due to some unseen rule or regulation. I know race days do have tech but I don't think I'll be racing anytime soon.

Well I don't generally attend many track days but if you come to a CSBK round I'll be there so stop by and say hello:)

If you take some time and wire the basics such as your oil fill cap, oil filter, oil drain plug, coolant drain bolt, rad cap, banjo bolts, brake caliper mounting bolts, and axle pinch bolts, you'll pass tech with flying colours. It takes a bit of time but over the winter it's an easy process. Mark the bolt with it tightened where you want to drill it to take the guessing out if it.

Don't be so specific with the search. Just go to your local shop and buy a set of street bike grips. You can get the street bike style which is what is in your link or ones that look more like dirtbike grips that offer more grip like these.

You don't want this type with the big base.

Trim the grip so it doesn't over hang onto the clip on tube and be done with it. I don't use any adhesives just safety wire which I would suggest you do even with hairspray. A bit of wet riding and you could end up with a grip in your hand while sliding on your *** down the track.
I accidentally bought some renthal enduro style grips with the big base...I used them anyway haha

Edit- these ones
g154-750x750.jpg

And they're really short but not too short

Last edited:
I accidentally bought some renthal enduro style grips with the big base...I used them anyway haha

Edit- these ones
g154-750x750.jpg

And they're really short but not too short

lol well it's not that they won't work buuuut. Actually those might be a good grip for shubie, it's pretty much dirt biking anyway.

Have been playing around with the bike in the garage. Almost all the greasing and regular maintenance stuff has been done. Yesterday I finally had the time to trailer it to my work parking lot so I could play on it a little. Was a fun 15 minutes or so trying it out. Had to get used to the GP shift but everything went fine. Brakes worked well and the bike fells nice and straight, nothing fell off or felt off lol. I'll double check the nuts and bolts over the next little while to make sure everything stayed tight. Once I finish bleeding the brakes I suppose the only thing left to do is swap the wetter out and wait until next year to give it a go at Grand Bend.

I would love to. Unfortunately I can't get tomorrow off of work. On the bright side I am doing the Racer5 endurance race this saturday and sunday at Grand Bend :)

...Once I finish bleeding the brakes I suppose the only thing left to do is swap the wetter out and wait until next year to give it a go at Grand Bend.

Are the banjo bolts drilled out to be safety wired yet? You'll have to take them out to do that, so best to wait for bleeding. Same with oil and fluid changes. You can obviously catch the oil and put it back in but that's twice the work instead of drilling bolts while they're out for maintenance.

Also, use a drill press. The amount of drill bits you'll break with a hand drill will pay for a used drill press (still will break bits with a press but far far less). I grabbed one on kijiji for 60-70 beans (can't remember exactly) when setting up my track bike this summer.

Last edited:
The bike was previously raced in SOAR so all the filler caps and bolts are drilled. Some have the safety wire on them still, others don't.

I plan on being a track day only guy for the first year or two. It is my understanding that a complete safety wiring of the bike is not required for just track days. Is this correct?

The bike was previously raced in SOAR so all the filler caps and bolts are drilled. Some have the safety wire on them still, others don't.

I plan on being a track day only guy for the first year or two. It is my understanding that a complete safety wiring of the bike is not required for just track days. Is this correct?

Nice!! Saves you some pain-in-the-*** work. No safety wire needed for just track days. If everything is already drilled, might as well remove the old wire and rewire everything in the spring. It's good peace of mind that nothing critical will back out/loosen.

If you safety wire things that have a length of wire that would rub against something, like fairing or calipers, can put a bit of tibing or shrink wrap over the safety wire. It you want to keep it looking pretty

Maybe Santa or the winter bike show will bring me a safety wire pliers and spool to ad some piece of mind.

The bike has been down on both side, while it doesn't look terrible I'm not the least bit worried about a little safety wire rubbing anything :)

Back
Top Bottom