First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please

When I started out on track, I used my street bike for the first season. Some old timers at the track told me something I will always remember. "Get yourself an old bike. You will go faster on it than any new bike". It was true, on my newer street bike, in the back of my head I was saying "don't drop it, don't drop it...". So I got an 04 R6, fixed it up, and the bike didn't hold me back. I've had more than a few 'aaaaah crap...' moments, but after the session was done I never thought "I shouldn't have risked it, I might have gone for a slide and damaged the bike"

Newer bikes may be 'faster' and easier to ride, but a well maintained older bike is cheaper to buy and cheaper to fix. I believe it is a good way to be introduced to track. Can always move to a newer 'faster' bike in the seasons to come.

Just something to consider.

So I have rejigged my game plan, this year and the coming I will focus on the essentials to track riding ie: canopy, trailer, jerry cans, some tools. I'm thinking the end of next season I'll have all the things I need and the money saved up to buy a bike with a proper set up and goodies. So for now I am keeping my eyes open for a nice 4x8 trailer or so and some of the other things that are track day comforts.

Thanks for all the help, feel free to bump this thread with track bikes that are worthy and not posted to this site. I am and will be checking periodically just in case the deal of a lifetime comes up.

...So for now I am keeping my eyes open for a nice 4x8 trailer or so and some of the other things that are track day comforts.

I got this on sale for $250 american. With exchange and taxes at the boarder, is was less than $400. Plus had to buy the wood and a hardware to make the floor. Solid trailer if space is a premium. You do have to build it your self and are able to register it as a home built trailer at Service Ontario.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62666.html

It can fit two bikes if you have two chalks mounted in the right spots.

If you have the space to store it then get a trailer. However; if you have a vehicle that can tow why don't you just save the couple grand a trailer will cost (assuming you want an enclosed trailer) and rent a uhaul trailer? The motorcycle specific trailer is something like $25/day.

Myself, I have no vehicle to speak of at the moment so I'm the king of cargo van rentals for trackdays and racing. I should have Discount as a sponsor ;).

Last edited:
I have been looking into that HF trailer. I have also contacted a trailer builder locally who can build me a nice 4x8 for around $600. I may go that route, by the time I buy the HF trailer, complete it and drive to the nearest one and back I may be at about the same price. I figured I'll wait and see if any trailers pop up on here at the end of this season and the beginning of next. If that doesn't happen then I'll pull the trigger on a build.

I have thought of the rental option but by the time I drive to pick it up, load the bike, do my track day, and undo it all I don't think the lower cost is worth the massive inconvenience. I have the space to store and it gives me a utility in the mean time.

Anyone looking to sell a trailer at the end of the season let me know. Looking for single motorcycle trailer $500 or less.

The stinger single bike trailers are nice, a bit pricey at $2000 though.

Fantastic trailer but way too much money, it's passed that point where may as well buy an enclosed
The stinger single bike trailers are nice, a bit pricey at $2000 though.

If you have the space to store it then get a trailer. However; if you have a vehicle that can tow why don't you just save the couple grand a trailer will cost (assuming you want an enclosed trailer) and rent a uhaul trailer? The motorcycle specific trailer is something like $25/day.

Myself, I have no vehicle to speak of at the moment so I'm the king of cargo van rentals for trackdays and racing. I should have Discount as a sponsor ;).

I took the odd approach of "what if" using my minivan and never looked back. Had to tilt the bike on the ramp to clear the windscreen and it's been smooth sailing since :cool:. :salute:

When you see a minivan show up to a track day with two bikes in it you'd be surprised! I play tetris with all the gear, table, chairs, toolbox, gas can, canopy,etc.

I've stuffed a 600/250 as well as 600/1000. Love my honda odyssey,gonna drive it to the ground. 330,000km and still going strong lol.

I took the odd approach of "what if" using my minivan and never looked back. Had to tilt the bike on the ramp to clear the windscreen and it's been smooth sailing since :cool:. :salute:

When you see a minivan show up to a track day with two bikes in it you'd be surprised! I play tetris with all the gear, table, chairs, toolbox, gas can, canopy,etc.

I've stuffed a 600/250 as well as 600/1000. Love my honda odyssey,gonna drive it to the ground. 330,000km and still going strong lol.

That works if you have limited space or a vehicle that can't tow a trailer. It's much more fun to park the trailer in the driveway and go to bed. When your ready for the next track day all that needs to be loaded is the bike. All your gear is already in there for the next trip. Make sure you have insurance though.

I have been looking into that HF trailer. I have also contacted a trailer builder locally who can build me a nice 4x8 for around $600. I may go that route, by the time I buy the HF trailer, complete it and drive to the nearest one and back I may be at about the same price. I figured I'll wait and see if any trailers pop up on here at the end of this season and the beginning of next. If that doesn't happen then I'll pull the trigger on a build.

I have thought of the rental option but by the time I drive to pick it up, load the bike, do my track day, and undo it all I don't think the lower cost is worth the massive inconvenience. I have the space to store and it gives me a utility in the mean time.

Anyone looking to sell a trailer at the end of the season let me know. Looking for single motorcycle trailer $500 or less.

If I knew that same guy, I'd gladly pay $600. How does he make money on that?!?! The wood and extra hardware brought it just under 600 plus all the time spent making it (which my Dad did while I worked on prepping the bike).

Princess auto usually has sales on wheel chalks but not as cheap as HF. Still worth the time and hassle savings.

Renting a trailer is only good for a few times. If I rented a trailer for my first race weekend, (friday practice, Sat and Sunday race days) I'd have to rent a trailer for 4 days. Pick it up on Thursday evening to load up. Return it on Monday cause there's no way I'm dealing with that **** after a 3 hour drive home on a Sunday night (when they're closed too).

Ya I am going to stick with the trailer option, if you have room for a van you should have room for a trailer I'd figure. I am going to call the trailer builder tonight and have a chat with him and see what his bottom line is. He said he can keep costs down buy getting everything on sale. Based on my forever timeline for completion of it, over a year I think that is attainable. I built my PA wheel chock yesterday Owen. I picked it up on sale last week for 59.99 plus tax. Slowly collecting all the things I need for a track day, next year will be a bike purchase. Thanks for all the help again people.

If you get an enclosed trailer it can also be your hotel room, pull bike out and toss cot in.

Folding trailers I get (spacially). Open trailers don't make much sense to me, other than being cheaper. However if you rent hotel rooms, after about 10 nights you are no further ahead financially.

If you get an enclosed trailer it can also be your hotel room, pull bike out and toss cot in.

Folding trailers I get (spacially). Open trailers don't make much sense to me, other than being cheaper. However if you rent hotel rooms, after about 10 nights you are no further ahead financially.

...and lighter. An enclosed trailer would have forced a purchase of a larger vehicle.

People stay in hotels for race weekends? Damn, that's gotta get expensive!! Tent/back seat of the car is fine by me.

Yes I will be getting an open trailer for now, have to tow with the car for a few years. Most of my track time will be done in Grand Bend where I have two family members with houses. I spoke with the local trailer builder and he has said he can build a 4x8 open trailer for $600.

I will throw up a wanted ad for a trailer and see what the fine folks here have to offer and if I don't see anything I'll go with my local builder.

Yes I will be getting an open trailer for now, have to tow with the car for a few years. Most of my track time will be done in Grand Bend where I have two family members with houses. I spoke with the local trailer builder and he has said he can build a 4x8 open trailer for $600.

I will throw up a wanted ad for a trailer and see what the fine folks here have to offer and if I don't see anything I'll go with my local builder.

+1 on you for planning ahead. getting your trailer now is a good idea, one less thing to worry about for next year. best of luck to you for finding a bike between now and the fall - prices shouldn't be at a premium as we roll into august. thoughtful approach(s) to getting to the track.

I am new to track days also. Last year a built an 05 sv650 that I picked up for cheap and then swapped zx14 rear shock and racetech springs and gve from my 07 street sv650 that I sold. The bike has 56000km on it and I have hammered on it for about 300km since my into to track and 2 track days at TMP. I don't have much invested in this bike and it's just a tool to have some fun at the track and so far it's put a smile on my face with every outing. My cousin has a trailer and a truck and has helped me out to get to the track 2 out of the 3 times. I have also rented trailer from uhaul and towed with my Corolla. Good luck with your search. I might do the endurance race with racer5 in September.

Put my 636 in a minivan several times. Easy as pie. The supermoto was a little more difficult lol

Nothing beats a minivan, well maybe a full size van or toy hauler lol.

You can pick up a crappy Dodge or Odyssey for less money than a enclosed trailer.

Back
Top Bottom