First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please

Bradsma

A little background, I was in the intro to track program with Racer 5 in June of this year. I had a great time for 3 days and have had the itch to get onto the track. I signed up for a Racer 5 endurance race on a 125 & 250 in September. In the mean time all I have been thinking about is track days and getting my own track bike. For now I would just like to do track days as I don't think I have the funds available to race and all the added expenses that brings, plus I'd like to work on getting me smooth and comfortable before that.

So here is where I am now. I have found a 2003 SV650 that is track ready and have done some research and it looks like a great bike to get accustomed to the track on. I will be riding Grand Bend almost exclusively as I can be there in about 35 minutes which means weekday track days are very easy to attend. I plan to start out on good street tires and not slicks as I probably won't have the speed for them and this way I can slowly purchase a generator and warmers as I get the itch to go racing.

Can some of you more experienced track day/racers chime in on this bike and your thoughts? Is it priced well, seem to be capable, missing something, have some things done that are great, etc...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ke/1169796140?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have sent a few messages to the owner and know the following information:

- The bike is track ready (only been to track days, not raced)
- Comes with a rear stand and stock forks
- Forks have been rebuilt with racetech springs and ZX-14 rear shock
- New sprockets, chain and tune up (sprockets are geared down for acceleration, less top end, good for GBM)
- Stock engine with full Hindle system

Some advice for a new guy would be appreciated, Thanks.

Stay away from the 03. They are the albatross of SVs first year FI. There is a known crank issue in the castings. the crank will literally break in half. Ask me how I know? I bought a 03 in 08 it was always a racebike from new. My first race on it was Daytona endurance race 4 hour. I did crash it lightly but the engine ran perfect. Next race was VIR on the tenth lap of practice it let go. Stator side broke off took the front cyl with it. Right out of the blue with no warning/noise etc.
http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php?topic=10069.0
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52412
http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/03-sv650-questions.201652/

I asked about the title and mileage. I'll do some more research on the rear shock and if that is a common upgrade/swap. The bike doesn't come with many or any spare parts as far as the owner has told me. Based on what I have read parts seem to be cheap and abundant for the SV's.

I did see that bike and thought that was a good deal as well. Unfortunately my budget is in the 2500-3000 range, if I can get this ride for a little less than that I'll have some cash for a few tweaks right away (levers, guards, etc... I know there will be added expenses and if I blow my wad on the purchase that will make things real tight moving forward.

Stay away from the 03. They are the albatross of SVs first year FI. There is a known crank issue in the castings. the crank will literally break in half. Ask me how I know? I bought a 03 in 08 it was always a racebike from new. My first race on it was Daytona endurance race 4 hour. I did crash it lightly but the engine ran perfect. Next race was VIR on the tenth lap of practice it let go. Stator side broke off took the front cyl with it. Right out of the blue with no warning/noise etc.
http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php?topic=10069.0
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52412
http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/03-sv650-questions.201652/

That is good to know thanks Kneedragger88! So it looks like this bike might not be all its cracked up to be even if it is good in every other aspect, it will probably cause me some head aches in the future. Is it just the 03 to worry about? I'd prefer an 03+ second gen as it is fuel injected.

Anyone else have great success and many miles on an 03? if it did pop could I just swap in a newer second gen motor (04+) or are they all weak in this aspect?

If you posted this 5 years ago I'd say go for it.

I have an 03 R6 for the track. Up until about 3 years ago spare parts were plenty, starting to get a bit scarce at this point. However I've accumulated a great "oh ****" bin.

Saying that at this point it IS a 14 year old trackbike. Thankfully I'm clumsy and have learned (the hard way) how to wrench a bit on it.

Nothing against what you are thinking/leaning towards but if I were you I'd wait to the end of the season and pick up a newer bike cheaper.

meme that's what I was thinking as well, at least on the end of season purchase and getting something a little better at a good price point. I just happened to see the above ad and it seemed like a good deal. Now that I am aware of the engine issues, that may be the reason. I'll stick with my Racer5 endurance races in September to fill my track fix and see what comes up in the end of the season/winter.

Coming from an 08 Z1000 on the street I think the SV650 is a good starter bike on the track, a 250 might be fun for a season, a 600SS may be a little too daunting. Is this the correct thinking? or is a 600SS still manageable while working on form and being smooth? I understand the most plentiful bikes to purchase will be 600SS.

A little background, I was in the intro to track program with Racer 5 in June of this year. I had a great time for 3 days and have had the itch to get onto the track. I signed up for a Racer 5 endurance race on a 125 & 250 in September. In the mean time all I have been thinking about is track days and getting my own track bike. For now I would just like to do track days as I don't think I have the funds available to race and all the added expenses that brings, plus I'd like to work on getting me smooth and comfortable before that.

So here is where I am now. I have found a 2003 SV650 that is track ready and have done some research and it looks like a great bike to get accustomed to the track on. I will be riding Grand Bend almost exclusively as I can be there in about 35 minutes which means weekday track days are very easy to attend. I plan to start out on good street tires and not slicks as I probably won't have the speed for them and this way I can slowly purchase a generator and warmers as I get the itch to go racing.

Can some of you more experienced track day/racers chime in on this bike and your thoughts? Is it priced well, seem to be capable, missing something, have some things done that are great, etc...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ke/1169796140?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have sent a few messages to the owner and know the following information:

- The bike is track ready (only been to track days, not raced)
- Comes with a rear stand and stock forks
- Forks have been rebuilt with racetech springs and ZX-14 rear shock
- New sprockets, chain and tune up (sprockets are geared down for acceleration, less top end, good for GBM)
- Stock engine with full Hindle system

Some advice for a new guy would be appreciated, Thanks.

I have a 99 r6 track bike that is completely set up you can buy for 2200 pm me if interested

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

meme that's what I was thinking as well, at least on the end of season purchase and getting something a little better at a good price point. I just happened to see the above ad and it seemed like a good deal. Now that I am aware of the engine issues, that may be the reason. I'll stick with my Racer5 endurance races in September to fill my track fix and see what comes up in the end of the season/winter.

Coming from an 08 Z1000 on the street I think the SV650 is a good starter bike on the track, a 250 might be fun for a season, a 600SS may be a little too daunting. Is this the correct thinking? or is a 600SS still manageable while working on form and being smooth? I understand the most plentiful bikes to purchase will be 600SS.

If you're used to handling a 1000 on the street a 600 is manageable on the track IMO but it's different for everyone. Watch for super high mielage track bikes. It may seem like a deal until the motor goes kaput. They'll last for 80,000km on the street, MUCH less then that on the track. Also race miles or TD miles doesn't matter, it's being ridden to that persons ability no matter what you call the time spent on the track. A fast rider will get 2-3 seasons tops before the engine needs a refresh (~$4500). I've heard a saying around the track, "it's easy to save a $100 and spend $1000 in this sport" and it's very very true. By the best of what you can afford and if it means you can't ride 2 track days because the bike was an extra $500 it might save you $2000 in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Kneedragger, is there anyway to tell if its a good 03 or a bad? VIN number, later year build has better luck, etc...

Dricked I will keep my eye out for something lower mileage, I understand a racer could potentially be faster on a track day than a race day so miles are miles. I agree with your thinking as well and have gone into this track day adventure with the following mentality; if the bike does get damaged or something happens and it isn't possible to ride it then I guess it sits in the garage until I can fix it. I want to get into track riding but I will not bankrupt myself just to do it.

Meme I will PM you. Not sure I am looking for something that late of a model.

Not sure mine was a race winner from new. Never a pro

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm gonna bow out of the 250vs600 debate but my advice is if you are smooth and have throttle control then you can track anything. You are in charge of your right hand.

The owner says it has 560 km on the odo but he understands that is not accurate, so unknown mileage I'll say. As far as ownership, it comes with no title, it's been a racer all it's life, so bill of sale only. Still thinking I'll pass on this as I don't want to buy a hand grenade. Hopefully some nice people here will have a few bikes available to choose from at the end of the season. I understand now isn't the best time to buy. Anymore advice or buying tips are greatly appreciated. I'm excited to track and learn, sometimes I get ahead of myself. Glad I posted up on here for sure.

Not sure mine was a race winner from new. Never a problem. My first race was Daytona where your beating the hell out of the engine. Then it breaks in practice about 75% throttle going downhill??? I would either stay clear of it or bank on an engine swap at some point

meme I agree, it will only go as fast as I make it and during the Racer5 course I proved to be smooth and consistent with the throttle.

I may be wrong but the 02 r6 I think is carbed.

I'd be looking for a FI, post 2007 if I could. I've thought of selling mine for a newer one but honestly I doubt I have more than a year or two left on track. Eventually I'll just putter about the streets again

Yes I'd prefer a bike that is FI, have never owned a carb'd bike and it just adds one more element of tweaking and playing with that I'd rather not have too. Why would you suggest a 2007+ I was thinking of something 03+. I used to ride an 03 CBR600RR, all the modern sport bike bits, I guess the 05-06 went to proper inverted fork style.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Kneedragger, is there anyway to tell if its a good 03 or a bad? VIN number, later year build has better luck, etc...

Dricked I will keep my eye out for something lower mileage, I understand a racer could potentially be faster on a track day than a race day so miles are miles. I agree with your thinking as well and have gone into this track day adventure with the following mentality; if the bike does get damaged or something happens and it isn't possible to ride it then I guess it sits in the garage until I can fix it. I want to get into track riding but I will not bankrupt myself just to do it.

Meme I will PM you. Not sure I am looking for something that late of a model.

With that being said, my first track bike was a 600 that had 20,000km. I rode it for a season and sold it. Bought a "low mielage" proper race bike and promptly blew it up. **** happens unfortunately.

I think getting the best bike I can afford will be my goal. I understand when I do pull the trigger everything from there on out is an unknown. I also know as soon as I buy a month later, a week later, a few days later a potential deal that would have been better may come up but if I feel I have made the right choice at the right time that will all be irrelevant.

Hopefully I can find something that will fit my budget and make me happy for the years to come or until something newer and better needs to come along. Just looking forward to getting out on the track and becoming a better rider and having a blast. It is so addicting!

Back
Top Bottom