Convertibles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Convertibles

nakkers

Site Supporter
Just riding to London this morning. Beautiful day. Temp is great. Wearing gear, air cooled motor running tip top.

Green mustang GT convertible on the 403 traveling towards Woodstock. Top up.

It's a nice car and likely cost a fair penny to have the ability to drop the top.

So why drive it with the top up?

I mean is should be mandatory if you own a convertible to have the top down no?

Unless it's raining or freezing or possibly even top hot. But days like today? You should get a ticket for improper use of a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I liked the convertible top down on coolish mornings and evenings at lower speeds. Wind noise and skin damage meant top up most of the time.

After a while I got tired of playing with the new toy and left it up.

Have you ever had bird crap on your roof? What if you didn't have a roof?

Now it's a power sun roof that is usually just open a bit for ventilation.

I used to think riding in the back of a pickup truck was fun. You grow up.

I liked the convertible top down on coolish mornings and evenings at lower speeds. Wind noise and skin damage meant top up most of the time.

After a while I got tired of playing with the new toy and left it up.

Have you ever had bird crap on your roof? What if you didn't have a roof?

Now it's a power sun roof that is usually just open a bit for ventilation.

I was actually considering buy a convertible for fun. I guess the novelty would wear off of that too.

At one time I was considering buying a Miata (default because no other 2 seat sports car) but only with the hard top option. I'm a big kid now.

At one time I was considering buying a Miata (default because no other 2 seat sports car) but only with the hard top option. I'm a big kid now.

Yes I'm sure it's a fun car...now I'd prefer an FR-S..much nicer IMHO...

My first car was an MG Midget convertible many years ago. Then drove full metal cage until 14 years ago when I went back to a convertible. Have driven it ever since , winters included.
I guess just like the novelty of a motorbike will wear off for some so it is with a convertible. For me , I hope the motorbike thrill lasts as long as the convertible thrill has

Yes I'm sure it's a fun car...now I'd prefer an FR-S..much nicer IMHO...

They're not comparable. The new Miata is hard to beat for being a true sport car.

With the FR-S, some punk kid will pull next to you and want to race.

I was actually considering buy a convertible for fun. I guess the novelty would wear off of that too.

I had a Z4. I find convertible is not suitable for Canadian weather. Even in summer, its getting too chilling at night for top down. Its not like with bikes, you get to wear your gears to keep warm.

My first car was an MG Midget convertible many years ago. Then drove full metal cage until 14 years ago when I went back to a convertible. Have driven it ever since , winters included.
I guess just like the novelty of a motorbike will wear off for some so it is with a convertible. For me , I hope the motorbike thrill lasts as long as the convertible thrill has
My buddy started off with a MG B GT and now has (along with the MG) a late nineties Lotus Elise...

I have yet to drive them but they're fun to ride along :)

Just riding to London this morning. Beautiful day. Temp is great. Wearing gear, air cool motor running tip top.

Green mustang GT convertible on the 403 traveling towards Woodstock. Top up.

It's a nice car and likely cost a fair penny to have the ability to drop the top.

So why drive it with the top up?

I mean is should be mandatory if you own a convertible to have the top down no?

Unless it's raining or freezing or possibly even top hot. But days like today? You should get a ticket for improper use of a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had an interview & don't want to arrive like if I went through the washer

Imo if I'm getting a summer only car, it's gonna be a rag top.
And preferably a Little Red Corvette.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Good Thread.

I am looking for a car and was thinking of 2000-2004 Mustang convertible. They seem affordable ($5k to $6k), rwd, manual, regular gas and cheap insurance. Another option is e36/e46 vert. You guys are getting me to think about the wind noise factor. Is it really that bad?

Another option is e36/e46 vert. You guys are getting me to think about the wind noise factor. Is it really that bad?

Depends on the convertible. Some are quieter than others. I've never had an e36 vert, but have owned a number of e46s, and most recently an e93 335i. Those were all fine for wind noise.

Now, I drive a Wrangler, and the only time the top is put up is when rain is expected. Otherwise the top is down. On weekends, the doors come off too. The Wrangler is much louder than any of my BMW verts (it's shaped like a brick), so on longer highway drives, I will wear earplugs. Makes the experience much more pleasant.

Get the e46 vert if you can find a clean one. Get an '04 or newer (6-speed), with the 3.0l inline 6. Very reliable, suitable power levels, and easy to maintain, with plenty of aftermarket support.

Not all convertibles are equal in the wind noise department. All you can really do is take any such car on the highway for a test ride. Driven my brother's first gen Miata a few times - amazing for bopping around the city or driving on backroads. On the highway with the top down? I wouldn't do it without hearing protection. He has the hardtop, though, which works extremely well. Maybe a little noisy, but normal car noisy, not convertible noisy

Also I like you Joe, so I'll warn you now - nobody looks cool driving a Corvette. It is the #1 choice of sports car for retirees on this continent. (Not that I think there's anything wrong with the car itself)

Get the e46 vert if you can find a clean one. Get an '04 or newer (6-speed), with the 3.0l inline 6. Very reliable, suitable power levels, and easy to maintain, with plenty of aftermarket support.

Whats a good price range for e46 vert?

@TwistedKestrel not worried. I never was nor will I ever be cool. ?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Spotted three more convertibles with the top up. Come to think of it, didn't notice anyone with a top down.

It's just an observation.

I've rented a convertible Mustang GT a few times and drove it top down the entire time. Did the 400 series at and the wind noise didn't seem too bad? I suppose if you had to take a call or something, it would be hard to hear? Keep hair short or wear a ball cap for me. The lady does a pony tail.

The Miata once the pop up head lights vanished, is of interest. Vettes and Stangs are more up my ally. Beemer convertable hard top would be ideal. Sticking with bikes until the kids are out of the nest.

.................another observation...........does anyone remove their hitch ball when not towing?

Why do I care? Why do I notice? Need to let these things go.

Back
Top Bottom