Will a dismantled crankcase cause a problem? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will a dismantled crankcase cause a problem?

Maxdar

Site Supporter
The shop I have my bike in has dismantled the crank case. The job is incomplete and they left it open. Would this cause any problems, seeing it is usually closed and full of oil? It will have been open for 24hrs+.

Not impressed with the shop, but can't really scoop up the parts and take anywhere else at the moment.

Not if it is stored indoors in a reasonably clean (ordinary indoor conditions) environment. Not if the parts are cleaned properly before re-assembly.

It's not uncommon for crankcases to be apart for weeks. Presumably they are coming apart because something's broken inside. They have to come apart in order to establish what broke, what needs repair, what needs replacing. They have to stay apart while waiting for replacement parts and while waiting for any work to be done on parts that need repair, and this can take a while. Can't put them back together until ALL the parts are ready to go.

Thanks, makes sense.

I have other issues with the "customer service", but I'll hold off on any damning reviews. If work is done, then that's his job.

Make sure its clean and re-assembled proprly. If you are concerned with dust - it will not a big deal.

Thanks, I felt I was over reacting. Just annoyed at all the promises and let downs.(long story)

Personally, I would rather a shop tell me they can't get to it for five days and have it ready in three. Over estimate, then if early, you're my hero. If life happens, then you have a buffer and still come out on schedule.

Thanks, I felt I was over reacting. Just annoyed at all the promises and let downs.(long story)

Personally, I would rather a shop tell me they can't get to it for five days and have it ready in three. Over estimate, then if early, you're my hero. If life happens, then you have a buffer and still come out on schedule.

99% of the time they can sit a LOOOONG time with no issue. I have seen times when I've ordered parts that were in stock at the manufactures warehouse, only to find the computer inventory wasnt right and waited for them to come from Italy. On a boat, a sail boat I think, a small slow one.

Back
Top Bottom