Blue Ridge Parkway | GTAMotorcycle.com

Blue Ridge Parkway

So i am a 62 year male planning to take a ride down to the Blue Ridge and Tail of the Dragon mid Sept. Just wondering if there is anyone on this forum that would be interested in a ride such as this

There are quite a few riders on here that travel that way. We are heading there a bit earlier at the end of July. There are also some good routes posted here to if you search the forum.

Definitely do it but be aware of the slow speed limit making it a long drive.

There are no gas stations directly on the BRP so watch your gas so you can top up on one of the side roads.

Watch for deer.

The last 2-3 hours of the parkway is the best from what I hear (we've only done the asheville south stretch). Personal favorites are the 28 south (take it to Franklin and stop by Cafe Rel). The charoholla is a group favorite as well.

Watch for deer.

And wild pigs, turkey vultures (a swooping one almost came to a beak/helmet conversation with a friend), pheasants and motherfreaking bears too... seen about 4 of them roadside or crossing the road so far.

Get a GPS on the bike . Even a car one with a waterproof case .There are many out there . It will save you a ton of headaches when you travel far from home . I did it three years ago . Don`t go on a weekend . The road packs up with campers and motor coaches .

MSG busabim.... one of his guys just backed out and he is looking for some to fill the spot/share costs etc. he started a thread here today somewhere

Get a GPS on the bike . Even a car one with a waterproof case .There are many out there . It will save you a ton of headaches when you travel far from home . I did it three years ago . Don`t go on a weekend . The road packs up with campers and motor coaches .

i have a garmin montana 650 with north america loaded on itso i am good there. thanks for the thought though.

Lovely time of year. Do explore outside the BRP. Certainly the Skyline Drive is well worth it but you may find it a bit too much of the same thing for all 500 miles of it given slow speeds and traffic.

Lots of good riding around Seneca Rocks and Back of the Dragon. Mix it up a bit.

Last edited:
I did it it last October. Joined up at Skyline Drive -- becomes the blue ridge parkway. Leave 2-3 days at minimum. Be ware of deer and decreasing radius turns. As MacDoc says, back of the dragon, tail of the dragon, etc.. Lots there! Gas wasn't too much of a problem. Beautiful scenery, and easily the best rides I've done this decade.

We camped on the journey down. Went to Atlanta and then south of visiting filming locations of TWD!.

Went around and did the Saddlesore 1600 back (ironbutt 1000)

Got the cert. and all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom