Going from M1 to M2 after passing safety course? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Going from M1 to M2 after passing safety course?

Micro

Hi all,

I'm scheduled to do the M1 Exit (to get my M2) in July. The thing is, my M1 is set to expire a week after I complete the course – does this mean I will be without a license until my M2 card is sent out?

Do they even send out an M2 card? I heard a rumor that if you bring your driver’s license (G), to a drivetest centre, they will engrave the M2 onto your license right away on site. Can someone confirm is this is true?

If someone could explain the process of getting an M2 after successfully passing the M1 Exit course, that would be great. The safety course didn’t really explain how I get my license. Do I just wait for a new card (GM2) to be delivered to my mailbox?

Cheers,
Micro

You will have to go to the MTO right after you pass and hand them your envelope.
You should be good.

You will have to go to the MTO right after you pass and hand them your envelope.
You should be good.

Do they engrave M2 on my G license or do they give me a temporary M2 license and ship me a totally new card that says GM2?

It's not a problem, there is a grace period after the M1 expires, 30 days if I recall. You should still go as soon as possible after your course. They will issue you a temp paper M2 on the spot and mail out an updated plastic card. Whoever told you they engrave anything on the spot is delusional.

Do they engrave M2 on my G license or do they give me a temporary M2 license and ship me a totally new card that says GM2?

They take your results, and assuming you passed, they put an invalid sticker on your plastic license, and give you a new paper license (eg. GM2, G2M2, G1M2, or whatever you qualify for), and tell you the new plastic one will come in the mail within 1-2 weeks.

As for the timing, best to call them and confirm. If you still have 2 days before the 90 days are up, I'd try to go in just to prevent any issues. I believe the actual test results are good for around 6 months, although if you exceed the 90 days they might make you pay for the M1 again (just guessing on that one).

You should still go as soon as possible after your course.

Just so this doesn't confuse others...you MUST wait 60 days from the date of your M1 to hand in the test results and upgrade to a M2. If you go before 60 days and they open the envelope, the results are invalid and you'll need to get a new copy from the course organizers. So long as you visit the drive test location between days 60-90 then there will be no issue.

Also, until you actually are holding a paper or plastic license that says M2 on it in your hands, you still have your M1. I've seen posts were people pass the course then get pulled over with a passenger, riding after dark, riding on 401, etc the day after when they still only hold a M1 license but think they have a M2.

Last edited:
They give you a temp paper license and a new plastic card will be mailed to you. Also, I did my course at RTI and they mailed the results to the MTO for us. So if you're at a course that does that too then talk to the instructors after the last day and see if they can rush the results in for you, they did that for students in my course whose license was set to expire within a week.

There is no envelope anymore at most rider programs, they put the upgrade directly into the MTO's systems electronically and you just go to the MTO after completion of the course (and the mandatory 60 days have passed since you wrote your M1) and you will be issued a new temporary paper licence showing the M2. A few weeks later a new plastic one will show up with the upgrade on it.

If you do not go to the MTO within that 60 to 90 day window of time, however, your M1 WILL expire and the M2 is not automatic, so you'll techincally have no motorcycle licence. My wife fell into this trap (she wasn't told she needed to go and I forgot to prompt her) but thankfully a quick visit to the MTO office showed the safety course successful completion on her driving record and they automatically issued her a temp M2, and her plastic card arrived a few weeks later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom