Kid charged for stunting in Costco parking lot in Guelph | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kid charged for stunting in Costco parking lot in Guelph

I would bring those rascals back to the parking lot with brushes and force them to clean those tire marks ... arresting 20 year old for acting stupid, doing burnout? C'mon man.

Well, having seen the marks, it was a fair bit more than a simple straight-line burn-out that might have earned him just a simple unnecessary noise ticket. It was more like Tokyo Drift.

Lets say the "damage" wasn't done with a car. Maybe a spray bomb. Criminal charges? I know one guy who has to soda blast his wall every couple months.

See the vid griff2 posted of a high powered sports car doing donuts in an asphalt parking lot... I don't see any significant damage being done..

It seems your interpretation of damage is different then.

But to me, this:

48771549-tyre-rubber-skid-marks-on-a-road-line-marking.jpg

And this:

742_30-09-2010_8278.jpg

...on someone else's private property, for which they paid a LOT of money to have the lines measured, marked, and painted... constitutes damage.

Lets say the "damage" wasn't done with a car. Maybe a spray bomb. Criminal charges? I know one guy who has to soda blast his wall every couple months.

Mischief under $5000 which may result in a criminal record, but not necessarily. Dangerous operation coincidentally carries the same min and max penalties as flee from police and fail to remain.. again perspective. Also, rubber washes away; paint on a wall, not so much

Harmlessly practicing emergency braking is a lot different than doing smokey burnout donuts that destroy a parking lot.

Hitting 80km/h+ in a parking lot then slamming on the brakes is ok? (not taking a jab at you, serious question, I really have no idea and I want to practice emergency braking without being harassed by the boys in blue)

Hitting 80km/h+ in a parking lot then slamming on the brakes is ok? (not taking a jab at you, serious question, I really have no idea and I want to practice emergency braking without being harassed by the boys in blue)

The slamming on the brakes shouldn't be a problem. The 80km+ will be if the parking lot is accessible to motoring and/or non-motoring public.

It seems your interpretation of damage is different then.

But to me, this:

48771549-tyre-rubber-skid-marks-on-a-road-line-marking.jpg

Yes, our opinions differ.

And this:

742_30-09-2010_8278.jpg

Now that we know where "Right here" is griff, did it look like this?

@PrivatePilot: I looked up Ben Morieson. Seems this photo may be from an entire day of burnout demonstrations. Wanna bet it washed away with no "significant" long term damage.

Edit: also seems that most of his "burnout" art is from RC cars.. maybe this as well?

Last edited:
rubber washes away

Damage to paint lines does not.

Perhaps an overzealous cop who happened to be sitting and watching might take notice, but I'd find it very hard to believe that if you were stopped and questioned and were polite about it, explained what you were doing and the safety aspect behind what you were practicing, that any cop would write you a ticket for it. If so, I'd be challenging it in court in a heartbeat, but I don't recall ever having heard of anyone having an issue.

Again, choice of locations would be key. I wouldn't do it in a busy mall parking lot as that's just asking for unwanted attention. When I bought my current bike and I wanted to practice and learn it's braking characteristics I went to a quiet industrial area after business hours - I had 1K of dead end road all to myself without any issues.

This sort of thing is, however, very innocent and justifiable vs the alternative we're talking about here, intentionally doing donuts, creating big attention grabbing clouds of smoke, wrecking painted lines and leaving black marks everywhere.

Imagine this kid wants to travel to US anytime soon ... I guess he won't be able to because he has criminal record for doing burnouts and damaging painted parking lines.

Even if you can't find a living soul in the 2km radius you will call it dangerous driving? Who's in danger?

I think it has more to do with being charged with something under the criminal code (which dangerous operation of a motor vehicle is).

If the lot was empty (given that it was 11:37PM), I can't see how it would be appropriate to lay this specific charge, AND arrest the driver.. Maybe if the lot had cars parked and people walking around....

That being said, passengers of the car can also be deemed as "the public" and the driver technically "put them in danger".

Cop probably wanted to charge him with something but the HTA doesn't apply since it's private property.

still .. driver will have a criminal record.. even tho there may not be a conviction on this ....

in my experience,, if the young fellow gets a GOOD LAWYER,, and pays the parking lot owner for the damages.. and stands in front of a judge with a reasonable explanation that he made sure no one was around.. and in danger.. wearing a nice suit,, clean shaven..
oh.. and to bring it up to modern time.. if he also states his parents are rich.. he will probably get off with affluenza

Just because it's private property doesn't mean that laws no longer apply to it.

Well that's why he was charged with criminal offences because the cops probably figured they couldn't give him any HTA charges.

Going back to the title of this thread...He was not charged for stunting, it was for dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and mischief. OP even put the text in bold yet his title still says 'charged for stunting'.

Damage to paint lines does not.
You're talking as if the paint has been peeled away; it hasn't. Even in the example you posted the paint is still under the rubber.

Again, perspective is needed here. You must have been young once. Think back to something you did in your youth that would result in a criminal conviction today.. You know there's something... just pause on that.. Personally, I can not support smashing people with a sledge hammer for such mundane indiscretions. I know.. I'm a menace.

PrivatePilot said:
intentionally doing donuts, creating big attention grabbing clouds of smoke, wrecking painted lines and leaving black marks everywhere.
So far, no one in this thread has supported the charge of dangerous driving.

@ Plau. Could have fooled me

Imagine this kid wants to travel to US anytime soon ... I guess he won't be able to because he has criminal record for doing burnouts and damaging painted parking lines.

On the aspect of the charge being overzealous, we are on the same page. Something lesser as others have mentioned, possibly with some restitution to fix the damage would have been justified, but unless there was some imminent risk to others (and who knows, perhaps there was, we don't exactly know the whole story here), the charges he received do seem overkill.

On the aspect of the charge being overzealous, we are on the same page. Something lesser as others have mentioned, possibly with some restitution to fix the damage would have been justified, but unless there was some imminent risk to others (and who knows, perhaps there was, we don't exactly know the whole story here), the charges he received do seem overkill.

Alas we agree on something.. I retract my previous

Pretty sure same charges would apply... also quiet sure there's one or two here who'd be fine with that outcome ;)

If you're in a foot of snow, it's pretty rare for your rubber to be grinding against tarmac, unless you're trying to dig through the snow by doing a snow burn out (is that a thing..?).

That being said, no damage, no danger to others, no issue, for the most part. The most important part is, don't be an *** when approached...

If you're in a foot of snow, it's pretty rare for your rubber to be grinding against tarmac, unless you're trying to dig through the snow by doing a snow burn out (is that a thing..?).

That being said, no damage, no danger to others, no issue, for the most part.

But this is only YOUR opinion. You CAN still be charged because the offense is dangerous operation not line destruction

You're talking as if the paint has been peeled away; it hasn't. Even in the example you posted the paint is still under the rubber.

Again, perspective is needed here. You must have been young once. Think back to something you did in your youth that would result in a criminal conviction today.. You know there's something... just pause on that.. Personally, I can not support smashing people with a sledge hammer for such mundane indiscretions. I know.. I'm a menace.

Yeah, when I was a kid one of the favourite summer activities was to drive out to rural areas for field and bush parties. so much fun even if you weren't big on drinking. They just won't let you do that any more. Today a kid would be likely to get scooped up for impaired driving on your way home and for some, on their way there too. Today's kids are so deprived of that experience.

@ griff2

Did you just compare parking lot donuts to DUI??? You're too cute :p

Somebody once said it's like bending metal. Of course it bends both ways. Last time I was caught speeding it was 40 over and the cop screamed in my face like I violated him personally. I responded with a simple "ok". He calmed right down and wrote 15 over thankyouverymuch.
That someone was you.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Mischief under $5000 which may result in a criminal record, but not necessarily. Dangerous operation coincidentally carries the same min and max penalties as flee from police and fail to remain.. again perspective. Also, rubber washes away; paint on a wall, not so much

I guess I'm kind of lost, I agree he was overcharged. That's a direct result of the hypersensitive climate we live in today. Everybody has to honestly look at their own contribution to that. I think some people want vengence for the dooshery they're put thru everyday. Right or wrong cops have the power to deliver that. I wouldn't belittle the loss of quality of life these actions put people thru. Why should the owner of the private property have to devote even one second and one ounce of energy to this? Charging the kid doesn't help the owner. Restitution still means he has to deal with it. He is an unwilling participant. When 2 typical Harleys come or go at murdercentral hundreds of people are held hostage for many minutes. Try to calculate that suffering. A massive fine for these Harleys wouldn't be enough imho but boy oh boy would that raise a chorus of "unfairness" and court battles. The burnouts, noise, speeding is all same **** different pile. That the late night 200km/h guy gets swept up in this is unfortunate but the vast majority of people who don't do that are in no mood to extend courtesy. Yes, there needs to be perspective but it goes both ways.

Back
Top Bottom