Kid charged for stunting in Costco parking lot in Guelph | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kid charged for stunting in Costco parking lot in Guelph

Let's look at this from the logical perspective ... if dangerous operation of a motor vehicle charges are laid, police should point out who was in danger. Do you agree?

They could argue the driver himself was in potential danger had he lost control and struck a building, a light standard, or the gas station pumps that were all close by.

Should people do donuts/burnouts? No, probably not.

Should they be ticketed? Sure

Should they be arrested? Absolutely not.

Seems like everything is an arrestable offense these days.

Should people do donuts/burnouts? No, probably not.

Should they be ticketed? Sure

Should they be arrested? Absolutely not.

Seems like everything is an arrestable offense these days.

I think it has more to do with being charged with something under the criminal code (which dangerous operation of a motor vehicle is).

If the lot was empty (given that it was 11:37PM), I can't see how it would be appropriate to lay this specific charge, AND arrest the driver.. Maybe if the lot had cars parked and people walking around....

That being said, passengers of the car can also be deemed as "the public" and the driver technically "put them in danger".

I think it has more to do with being charged with something under the criminal code (which dangerous operation of a motor vehicle is).

If the lot was empty (given that it was 11:37PM), I can't see how it would be appropriate to lay this specific charge, AND arrest the driver.. Maybe if the lot had cars parked and people walking around....

That being said, passengers of the car can also be deemed as "the public" and the driver technically "put them in danger".

While that may be the law, unless they're minors or tied up in the trunk, an arrest is way over the top.

Cop probably wanted to charge him with something but the HTA doesn't apply since it's private property.

While that may be the law, unless they're minors or tied up in the trunk, an arrest is way over the top.

Considering they were probably encouraging the behaviour, if anything they're accessories to the crime. If they aren't consenting to being there then there should be different charges on top of what he got.

implied-facepalm.jpg

So where can I practice emergency braking on a motorcycle?

I don't want to be arrested, charged and left with a criminal record because I wanted to refresh my skills in an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning

Why couldn't the cop just lecture the rascal? Maybe call his dad at home. Get him off the couch or mama. It takes a village to raise a kid. I wish it was the 1960's again. When they catch you DUI then tell you "go straight home take it easy". That worked pretty good. Drunk driving was pretty much eradicated after that. These draconian speeding/stunting/dickin around HTA restrictions are too heavy handed. Young people need a hand up or on the shoulder. Here son, we're going to fine you $6 with 4 yrs to pay. Think of it the the cost of speeding, not a punishment. If you loop your bike what are the chances of anybody catching it in the face? I mean statistically?

coincidentally, the consensus seems to be driver skill is at an "all time low".. could throwing the book at people for engaging in a practice that was common place 30 years ago have anything to do with that?

I find that police now tend to "over charge" people so that they will plead guilty to a lesser offence rather than risk a more serious one

So where can I practice emergency braking on a motorcycle?

Harmlessly practicing emergency braking is a lot different than doing smokey burnout donuts that destroy a parking lot.

I find that police now tend to "over charge" people so that they will plead guilty to a lesser offence rather than risk a more serious one

Somebody once said it's like bending metal. Of course it bends both ways. Last time I was caught speeding it was 40 over and the cop screamed in my face like I violated him personally. I responded with a simple "ok". He calmed right down and wrote 15 over thankyouverymuch.

Do we really believe this parking lot is now "destroyed"; if only we had an all seeing eye which could show us how many supporters of this charge have truly never attempted a burnout/donut/powerslide etc in their entire life. This is a criminal charge for a 20 year old. Some perspective people.

Do we really believe this parking lot is now "destroyed"

I'm sure they'd appreciate the help removing it all and repainting the lines...and in places where the ashpalt is melted and/or torn up repair is impossible.

Perhaps "destroyed" is a poor choice or words, but "significantly damaged" isn't.

if only we had an all seeing eye which could show us how many supporters of this charge have truly never attempted a burnout/donut/powerslide etc in their entire life.

I've done it. In the winter. In the snow. Great fun, and apparently it puts me at risk of attracting unwanted attention, but I pick and choose my places and times, don't attract attention, and don't leave any damage behind

Do we really believe this parking lot is now "destroyed"; if only we had an all seeing eye which could show us how many supporters of this charge have truly never attempted a burnout/donut/powerslide etc in their entire life. This is a criminal charge for a 20 year old. Some perspective people.

So far, no one in this thread has supported the charge of dangerous driving.

Like others, the snow is where the fun is at without worrying about much.

Last edited:
I'm sure they'd appreciate the help removing it all and repainting the lines...and in places where the ashpalt is melted and/or torn up repair is impossible.

Perhaps "destroyed" is a poor choice or words, but "significantly damaged" isn't.

See the vid griff2 posted of a high powered sports car doing donuts in an asphalt parking lot... I don't see any significant damage being done.... I won't however argue with asking the kid to repaint the lines if you really want to take action against his "crime". Dangerous operation is a joke.. but that's par for the course I guess

I've done it. In the winter. In the snow. Great fun, and apparently it puts me at risk of attracting unwanted attention, but I pick and choose my places and times, don't attract attention, and don't leave any damage behind

You pick and choose well. Obviously you're not the lowest common denominator. But what about all the electric scooter people before they graduated to electric scooters? Ever wonder what trail of carnage led them to speed restricted battery travel? I'll bet they lacked finesse behind the wheel.

So far, no one in this thread has supported the charge of dangerous driving.

Like others, the snow is where the fun is at without worrying about much.

Pretty sure same charges would apply... also quiet sure there's one or two here who'd be fine with that outcome ;)

I would bring those rascals back to the parking lot with brushes and force them to clean those tire marks ... arresting 20 year old for acting stupid, doing burnout? C'mon man.

Back
Top Bottom