Toronto to Halifax and Cabot Trail | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Halifax and Cabot Trail

How many days in total do you have?

I did the dragon when I only had 25k kms experience, on a Ninja 250, and did not crash. You set your own pace, or should I say, the group of cruisers in front of you set your pace (very slow). So, I wouldn't be worried.

PA, WV, VA, TN - can't go wrong.

Riding to Colorado is another option, but you'd have to waste 2 days to get there, and 2 days to get back.

I have 9 days in total.

The Dragon is very curvy, but it comes down to you and how you ride. Try and push yourself beyond your ability an you will have trouble. Lots of fantastic riding down there though, the Dragon was my least favourite. You could head down that way and do the Blueridge Parkway which is some amazing curvy scenic riding. I have plotted around 750 kms of the Blueridge. If you took it from the north to the south you would end up very close to the Dragon and if you felt up to it could pass through as you head north again. Everywhere is great riding there, you really cannot go wrong.

Thank you, I am documenting everything.

The cabot is the most overrated POS ever. Road surface is ****, nice views but compared to any decent motorcycle road like the dragon, it is a complete letdown from a sport perspective.

Most people I know that do the Cabot do it for the scenery, not necessarilly for the sport or technical riding aspects. We just got back from the Adirondacks - zero to little skill required to navigate most of the roads out there, but great scenery once you get an hour east of 81.

Most people I know that do the Cabot do it for the scenery, not necessarilly for the sport or technical riding aspects. We just got back from the Adirondacks - zero to little skill required to navigate most of the roads out there, but great scenery once you get an hour east of 81.

I would not say zero to no skill. It is hardly the most challenging, but still some quick turns that can catch if you if you are not ready. You also really need to be aware of the wild life there. But I agree, nice curvy roads and great scenery, which for me is ideal.

Op don't forget travel insurance if you do go to the US. Some sort of roadside assistance that's valid over there might be wise as well if you're going alone.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The Dragon is very curvy, but it comes down to you and how you ride. Try and push yourself beyond your ability an you will have trouble. Lots of fantastic riding down there though, the Dragon was my least favourite. You could head down that way and do the Blueridge Parkway which is some amazing curvy scenic riding. I have plotted around 750 kms of the Blueridge. If you took it from the north to the south you would end up very close to the Dragon and if you felt up to it could pass through as you head north again. Everywhere is great riding there, you really cannot go wrong.

Exactly the point, the blue ridge or any decent road down there smokes the chitty cabot traii. if I want to have scenery, I take the car.

Cherohala skyway is way prettier and for that matter almost any road up/down the blue ridge is nicer as well.

I sure wouldnt drive all the way from Toronto to Cape Breton for the Cabot trail, wouldnt happen in a million years.

One days ride to front royal virginia and the start of the blue ridge.

BB

Last edited:
There are many roads I enjoyed way more than the Dragon, on the way to it. Especially in Virginias.
Dragon was overcrowded and kinda repetitive. Still very good, mind you not, but far from my favourite twisty.

As for coming with me, not to offend but I am only taking people I know since we need to mesh and be in the same range in terms of skill and pace. I am also leaving this Friday.
If you are interested in longer trips, join TTSR on Meetup. That's where I know everyone coming with me from.

As for construction, it's only a handful of spots on Cabot and I'm not overly worried.

Exactly the point, the blue ridge or any decent road down there smokes the chitty cabot traii. if I want to have scenery, I take the car.

Cherohala skyway is way prettier and for that matter almost any road up/down the blue ridge is nicer as well.

I sure wouldnt drive all the way from Toronto to Cape Breton for the Cabot trail, wouldnt happen in a million years.

One days ride to front royal virginia and the start of the blue ridge.

BB

We are very different when it comes to touring. If I want scenery, the best place to be is on the bike, out in the open. If I really cared about speed and curves, the track is where I would go... I don't so I don't do track days.

You are pretty passionate about your hate for the Cabot trail. Not in a million years? Each to their own, but it is nowhere near as horrible as you make it out to be.

We are very different when it comes to touring. If I want scenery, the best place to be is on the bike, out in the open. If I really cared about speed and curves, the track is where I would go... I don't so I don't do track days.

You are pretty passionate about your hate for the Cabot trail. Not in a million years? Each to their own, but it is nowhere near as horrible as you make it out to be.

I said I would not drive from Toronto to Halifax JUST for the Cabot trail. When i lived out there I road it.

But it was so hyped in Cycle Canada that when I got there and road it on a sportbike it was not challenging and in poor road condition. Scenically, it was pretty as it should be based on topography and location.

Would i ride out 2 days from Toronto for it, not in a million years when there are hundreds of closer roads in closer proximity to Toronto, that is the point.

You can probably find a video of the cabot trail to see if it is worth a couple of days ride to get there.

BB

Last edited:
Well I thought it was an entertaining road. I did West Virginia immediately after Cabot & I was bored in WV. Cabot has elevation changes & breath taking scenery. Pretty much the entire trail you can see the ocean. When I was there in 2011,the roads on the coastal area were decent.

Latest update shows 2 construction zones, I'm not intimidated.

Can't be much worse than 401.
I just came back from the Cabot Trail 2 days ago. It's a mess. Lots of constructions and slowdowns, gravel for KM's. I was in the car so I didn't care. I would care if idid that on a bike.

Edit: Oh and I just drove the 401 from Quebec to North York and if you think that's bad, you haven't seen the trails. Picture KM's worth of road torn up from the ground and long lineups because they are only using one lane roads. Not to mention the crazy amount of bumps and **** from the roads they haven't fixed. The 401 is slow but at least it's rideable.

I can show you dashcam footage of the rough patches o if you want. Probably a couple which doesn't seem like a lot but I wouldn't wanna ride a twisty road with dusty tires.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

I'd hardly call the Cabot Trail a twisty road, it has some good sweepers tho. I'd look at that footage since we are deciding what to do about Cabot Trail.

If this ucky weather does not retreat we are heading south right quick

Look for a place to stay at base of Cabot Trail. Last time I stayed at the Iona Heights Inn, renovated & clean. Get a nice shower & sleep and tackle the Trail fresh the following morning!

Not sure the state of Meat Cove. Great view, but last time I went nobody was there....

Go counterclockwise on the Cabot Trail, you'll be closer to the ocean.

I agree with checking out Lunenburg.

When in Halifax, check out 2 Doors Down (restaurant on Barrington St)

Ride safe!

Welp unfortunately I don't have the dashcam footage of the cabot trail because it got looped on the drive home.

Just did it. I find your report grossly exaggerated.
Few small sections with slowdowns due to construction.
Only one longer gravel stretch and we're talking about 2km maybe.
A couple of shorter ones. Signs everywhere and construction workers to warn and guide traffic.
No surprises.

Pavement not bad at all in other places. Not optimal but definitely doable.

Views great, people great. Had an awesome time.

Grossly exaggerated. Hah. I was in a car and you wouldn't catch me riding that on a motorcycle. The rough patches of the road and patches of road that haven't been fixed were barely tolerable in a sports car I can imagine a motorcycle. I was bouncing all over the place and I'm not even on stiff coil overs.

Then again I was doing a verrrrrryyy spirited drive. Not pussyfooting around the trail.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom