Unsecured Load | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unsecured Load

I have two stories, one is mine and one from an ex-coworker. I was returning from the big smoke and in an area of the 401 that was under construction with concrete barriers on both sides making it pretty tight quarters for 2 lanes with semis. Just ahead on my right was a flatbed with a piece of pipe shoved under a set of chains. (probably the pipe he used to tighten the boomers) It managed to shake loose and started to work its way across the deck and finally fell off and started bouncing end over end toward me. I had nowhere to go and could only move a few inches side to side. It landed a few feet in front of my right side and bounced over me landing just off my rear left corner. My boss was a few cars behind me and didn't see a thing except for me shimmying a bit in my lane.

A buddy was coming back one summer from around Collingwood and a Seaflea (google it if you don't know what it is) came out of the back of an approaching truck and flew directly into his windshield. He managed to duck down before it hit and somehow managed to get pulled off the road. While at the side of the road with the cops and tow truck the truck came back looking for his boat. He had gone about 20 miles before he noticed it was gone.

"Truck driver could be charged with unsecured load". Ya think?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

What about charging people before they kill people. Just park a squad car outside of Home Depot and start writing them up.

A few years back while out on the bike I saw a bunch of new in-the-wraps sofa cushions on the road a mile away from a major furniture store. If I was in the cage I would have taken all but one just to mess with the idiot that thought stuff in the back of a pickup doesn't need to be secured.

Last edited:
Another lesson to learn from this is to aim for the obstacle until the last second, then swerve if needed. The biker chose to swerve right before he knew where the thing was headed, and he chose wrong. This tip doesn't work when you have no time to react, but when there's a bit of time use it to figure out where the out of control object is going.

Surprised the rider chose to move right which is a much higher risk than choosing the shoulder with an option to run off onto the grass. Much less risk of being run over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised the rider chose to move right which is a much higher risk than choosing the shoulder with an option to run off onto the grass. Much less risk of being run over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes
although for the lane he was in
he was in the wrong position
but would have made it easier to go left

also very late to slow down
should have been on the brakes hard
to increase distance/buy time to get around the thing

Back
Top Bottom