Oily thread again | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oily thread again

nobbie48

Site Supporter
With our bikes we regularly change engine oil, rear drive oil for shafters, brake fluid, shock fluid, coolant, and clutch fluid. Did I miss anything?

With a car the only fluid that we change is the engine oil. In particular, why do so many mechanics recommend NOT changing auto transmission fluid unless it is sticky or burnt?

P.S. Ten year old bike clutch fluid looks like beef gravy.

Because we treat our four wheelers like crap for the most part.Having said that....if you have an exotic four wheeler,it is most likely treated quite differently.

I'm a high mileage 4 wheel vehicle driver, I'll change transmission fluid around 80 100k, and differential fluid the same time. I've only had 1 differential slip in 35yrs and never had a transmission go ever. Its really cheap insurance to change some fluids, especially if you tow a trailer ect.

A lot of people ignore their cars.

A lot of cars have sealed-for-life transmissions. It's usually best to do them now and again anyhow.

Anecdotally, I had it changed for the first time, in my Chevy minivan, as per the manufacturer's specification, by the dealer, and the transmission failed shortly thereafter.

They managed to pinch some electrical wires when putting the new one in, which caused all kinds of headaches down the road.

Never changed it after that, and never had a problem with it, although the car was toast after 10 years.

I don't ignore my 4 wheeler... Oil @ 8K, auto trans @ 50k, brake fluid with pads. Upcoming coolant (5-yr initial, 2 yrs thereafter), power steering fluid, then rear-diff and transfer case (@100K)

I'm not sure what lifetime fluids would be like, I took the trans fluid out of a Chev truck and it looked like coffee. 120k on it, but it had been run long and hard on the highway. My mechanic says when it smells burnt your too late.

Transmissions are all over the map now for expectations and maintenance. For most passenger cars they really can 'go for life' on the factory fluid unless you're really running the car past the 300,000-400,000 line which most don't make. Heavier duty vehicles like trucks and vehicles that are built for towing you will notice that they do call for transmission service on a scheduled basis since the fluid is under much higher demand and wear, but even these are commonly neglected and will go long without major issues.

Flush vs drain & fill is the big issue. Transmissions tend to pickup little bits of gunk and varnish here and there in the passages and valve bodies as they age, and heat cycles, and particularly overheating, ie towing a trailer larger than what the vehicle was designed for, or spec'd for (no transmission cooler/tow package) will cause rapid varnish buildup. There's an argument to be made (and I've seen it happen, so it's not just blowing smoke) that a long neglected transmission be left neglected, or if you're going to service it anyways do only multiple partial changes of fluid to slowly get some of the properties of newer fluid back without disturbing too much internally - What happens on long neglected trannies where a full change (or worse yet, a "flush") is performed is all the disturbance of the flush and new fluid causes all those little bits of crud and varnish to come loose and then promptly get stuck in places where they cause all sorts of grief.

So, it's really one of those things where you either maintain then routinely, if if they've been neglected, it's almost better to leave them that way - you could just be causing yourself issues.

With our bikes we regularly change engine oil, rear drive oil for shafters, brake fluid, shock fluid, coolant, and clutch fluid.

Dunno...I've heard a lot of people mention similar, but if going by the manual and maintenance schedule, there is no mention of things like fork or shock fluids, yet I see people change them all the time. Maybe it was something that had to be done many years ago and some still doing it, like how a few still hold on to the notion of oil changes every 3000-5000km?

Maybe that's why a $4k 15 year old bike is worth up to $2K(50% of it's value) and a $40k 10 year old cage is worth nothing.

P.S. Ten year old bike clutch fluid looks like beef gravy.

Ha. I had a bike where I think chain fling started travelling up the clutch slave cylinder... the fluid was all just black. Clutch was a little easier to use after a flush

Back
Top Bottom