Do you know these motorcycles? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you know these motorcycles?

Put a notice on Horizons Unlimited, blown final drive forum.

Lulz

I've posted a link to this thread on Horizons unlimited and ADVrider forums. More likely to find owners there, or at least someone who knows them.

What everybody has said already. Somewhere somebody has posted a blog or posts about it, sounds like a good story.
Could also be they finished their trip in Peru and sold cheap to a local who planned on "finessing" their entry around import laws then got distracted...that's happened before.

if no-one claims them, couldn't you use USHIP and ship them back here to re-sell (where the VINs are registered)?

offset shipping costs with the sale, bingo-bango

It seems that when the bikes leave Peru, they must be approved by Customs there.
The owners got a 30 day exemption when they entered the country. It would appear they have been there for much longer than 30 days.
When they leave Peru, the Customs Duty will have to be paid.

Since the MTO database is restricted not everyone can access the info. They won't pass on the plate ownership without good cause. If someone ...ahem....knew an officer or MTO person who has access it would be done in seconds. The only thing is that access is typically monitored and you never know when someone will ask why someone ran a certain plate. That being said it can be done from Ontario. OP....check your inbox.

The plot thickens....

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

So that all are aware, I have made the request for the information from the MOT.
There is an $18 fee for the info.
I received and email back from them regarding why I wanted this information.
They appear to be satisfied with my response.
About a two week wait for the info which is mailed.

It seems that when the bikes leave Peru, they must be approved by Customs there.
The owners got a 30 day exemption when they entered the country. It would appear they have been there for much longer than 30 days.
When they leave Peru, the Customs Duty will have to be paid.

Does the amount of this duty outweigh the value of the bikes plus the cost to get them back here?

If so, parting them out and selling them in pieces (or, *cough cough*, shipping them home in pieces across a few separate shipments to be reassembled here at a later date) is another option?

This customs duty on bikes that really have no attachment to the country aside from having been there longer than some arbitrary number seems like a monty grab to me...but yeah, foreign country, their rules..like em or not.

A lot of countries have these sorts of rules for all vehicles.
When riding in, you get a certain period of time to do what you came for.
If you stay too long, there is a substantial penalty.
It is to force the locals to buy local and to keep junky vehicles from being dumped.
It strikes me there are ways around this, but we will have to track down the owner(s) first to see what they want to do with the bikes in question.

The UVIP should be available to anyone who walks in and pays for it. Any clerk who talks about "privacy" does not know what she is doing as they are public records, just like house deeds. Even with a short VIN, the clerk has cooperated and provided a UVIP, even though she had to call Kingston for a file number.

The bikes have been in Peru since 2012 (based on the expiration stickers on the Ont. licences).
Suddenly, everyone's in a rush.
Relax, I will keep you in the loop.

The anticipation is killing me!

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I know where there is a Honda Aero in Panama. It's been sitting longer than that by a couple of years. Considering paperwork, crating, shipping and rebuilding it probably isn't worth the effort. Owner is RIP.

I know where there is a Honda Aero in Panama. It's been sitting longer than that by a couple of years. Considering paperwork, crating, shipping and rebuilding it probably isn't worth the effort. Owner is RIP.
Where in Panama? The city?

So for all who waiting on tenderhooks.
I got the info from the Min. Trans. today.
It gives me a full description of the bike, the VIN etc.
But it only gave me the owner's name. No address or any other way of contacting her.
It's a fairly common name so there are few clues in tracking her down.
I guess I will have to go to Service Ontario and see what I can do tomorrow. They did give me the owner's drivers licence number.
Hopefully, they will at least tell me the town she lives in.

The UVIP gives current registrant's name, address (city and province) and date of registration. Seems like your $18 check was not equivalent to the UVIP?

Can you take the license plate number/driver license number/VIN to the police? Tell them the whole story and ask them to relay a message to owner. Also ask them to check if bikes have been reported stolen/missing?

Last edited:
The UVIP gives current registrant's name, address (city and province) and date of registration. Seems like your $18 check was not equivalent to the UVIP?

Can you take the license plate number/driver license number/VIN to the police? Tell them the whole story and ask them to relay a message to owner. Also ask them to check if bikes have been reported stolen/missing?

They aren't stolen. I got at least that much for my $20. :)

Back
Top Bottom