Do you know these motorcycles? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you know these motorcycles?

statsman

I have a friend on another motorcycle forum who just purchased a garage.
The garage is in Lima Peru.
There are two BMW motorcycles on the premises.
They are both dirt bikes, one blue one black.
They have Ontario licence plates of 0228S and 0229S.
The renewals expired in May 2012.
Does anyone know who owns these bikes?
A rider who ran into problems while touring South America perhaps?
Please PM me for his email if you have any info to offer.
His preference is to give the owners a chance to claim them, but he won't wait forever.

Get the VIN. Then $20 at the MTO will give you the last registered owner from the Used Vehicle Information Package. Those bikes might still be worth $10k.

I explained this to him, but he prefers to go this route for the time being.

Edit
I just finished an on-line chat with him.
It seems the MOT won't send the documents or information to an address outside Ontario.

Last edited:
0228S and 0229S?

What are the chances that these bikes have almost the same plate, but just off by 1 letter?

Its possible.
Plates are sequential and then just sent in batches. If you went to mto and registered 2 bikes at the same time then you could possibly get them 1 character apart.

I am assuming they are owned by the same person or perhaps a couple based on the plate numbers.

If you have the 17 digit VIN try contacting BMW Canada, maybe they will provide you with information about the original owners and you can go from there.

Put a notice on Horizons Unlimited, blown final drive forum.

Edit
It seems the MOT won't send the documents or information to an address outside Ontario.
I'm off this week. Have him wire me the money and I'll get the uvip

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I am assuming they are owned by the same person or perhaps a couple based on the plate numbers.

I would guess a couple bought the bikes as a pair. Went for a ride down south. Somebody got injured and they had to fly home. Now they're either loaded and can afford to write off the bikes or the injured person doesn't want anything to do with bikes again.
I'd love to hear the real story. Anybody else want to guess? :)

There's a volunteer willing to go line up at the MTO office, your buddy should take the offer. I would definitely take the offer if somebody was willing to line up for my plate stickers!

I would guess a couple bought the bikes as a pair. Went for a ride down south. Somebody got injured and they had to fly home. Now they're either loaded and can afford to write off the bikes or the injured person doesn't want anything to do with bikes again.

There's a volunteer willing to go line up at the MTO office, your buddy should take the offer. I would definitely take the offer if somebody was willing to line up for my plate stickers!

It was a love triangle. You don't see a sidecar do you?

Joe Bass has charisma. Joe Bass don't wait in no lines. ?

But yes, interested to see how this plays out. There might be a screenplay in here. Or at least an Ebook.

Here is the rest of the story in a nutshell.
When the bikes entered Peru, they were given a 30 day pass. Otherwise the owner would have pay import duty on them.
They stayed longer than 30 days.
Felipe can't sell them legally in Peru or even get a Peruvian ownership for them without paying that duty which is substantial.
The best possible outcome is for the owners to return and pick them up.
This is what he is hoping for.
The ideal outcome is the actual owner are still riding, live in Toronto and belong to the forum.
If nothing happens for a week or so, I will get the UVIP myself and take instructions from Feilipe on how to proceed.
Thanks for your offer, but I'm retired so its no big deal.

Subscribed

Now that you mention Felipe, I'm thinking of my favourite 3s company episode...

BMW will say due to privacy we can't tell you and we can't contact the owners...meaning, we don't care to do ish.

I will volunteer to come down and ride one back, you know, to prevent Felipe from paying the high duties.

BMW will say due to privacy we can't tell you and we can't contact the owners...meaning, we don't care to do ish.

I will volunteer to come down and ride one back, you know, to prevent Felipe from paying the high duties.
Then i guess i should do the same and ride the other :D

I've posted a link to this thread on Horizons unlimited and ADVrider forums. More likely to find owners there, or at least someone who knows them.

Edit

Can you not go to the MTO with the vin # and get the information? Trying to find someone on this forum who shipped a bike to Peru, or road to Peru would either stand out like a sore thumb here or not be on this forum. Why limit yourself? If you cannot go to the MTO, I would try www.advrider.com, a lot of traveling folk there and a larger BWM community.

Back
Top Bottom