Kawasaki Paint and Powder Coat Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki Paint and Powder Coat Question

Clem

I hope this is the right place to post this. Mod's, feel free to move

I just picked up a 1981 GPZ550 and am going to build an Eddie Lawson Replica. Kind of like this.

1095.jpg

The tank and side panels are pristine so I just bought a set from ebay that I will use to paint green. I'll keep the others if I ever want to swap it back.

I did have a question about paint though. Does anyone know the color code for Kawasaki Green and a cross reference with some brands? Is there anywhere in the GTA that could mix it?

Eddies original frame and swingarm was satin black. Is there a paint shop in the GTA that can mix up a satin black urethane?

Thanks in Advance

There are many different Kawasaki greens.

Your best bet is to get a professional to do the whole thing. You can and should do the disassembly and reassembly (you will have to strip the bike down to the bare frame to do it right), but let them handle all the prep and paint including any necessary colour-matching. I've lost track of who does this sort of thing nowadays ... the one I used is not available any more.

If you can wait a few days I can get it the PPG code for you. I'm not at home right now

As Brian mentioned the ELR green is slightly darker than the modern lime green, although I think you may have to compare both side by side to notice.

Does Carboncat or Cheekeebandito still paint?

Have you considered powder for the frame? It's a lot less hassle. I had Brightside Customs do a satin black frame for me a few years ago

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

If you could send me the PPG paint code it would be very helpful. I have a friend who works at Budds Collision who will do the work for me.

I was a little hesitant about Powder Coat for the frame as I always think that the gloss black looks very thick. I have since seen a couple of examples of satin black and it does seem to look a lot "thinner". more like paint. It may be a good option.

Eddies version had black wheels. I'm now thinking about doing the wheels green as well. I'll have to talk to a couple of powdercoaters to see if they can match. There is a ZX6r parked outside work that has a green frame and wheels. I'll hang around and ask the guy where he got it done.

Thanks to all

I too would be interested in a semi or satin gloss black urethane, preferably single stage. Are there any shops in TO that can mix it?

Contact KEN here... aka Kneedragger88, he seems to be painting now...hes been around forever.

12079599_10156355674005019_7501033170598759171_n.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

If you could send me the PPG paint code it would be very helpful. I have a friend who works at Budds Collision who will do the work for me.

I was a little hesitant about Powder Coat for the frame as I always think that the gloss black looks very thick. I have since seen a couple of examples of satin black and it does seem to look a lot "thinner". more like paint. It may be a good option.

Eddies version had black wheels. I'm now thinking about doing the wheels green as well. I'll have to talk to a couple of powdercoaters to see if they can match. There is a ZX6r parked outside work that has a green frame and wheels. I'll hang around and ask the guy where he got it done.

Thanks to all

I own a powder coating shop, there are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 different shades, textures, and gloss levels of black powder......You can get what you are looking for in a powder, just most shops only stock particular blacks. For example I stock Stain, Gloss, and Flat, but I can get a million other blacks on request

Kawi green changes every couple years as the bike evolved, SO Kawi green from an 2004+ Kawi is going to be very different then your 81

I have a Kawi green powder in stock, it matches pretty well to the more modern Kawis. The thing with powder is you cant only manipulate it so muck, unlike paint you cant really mix the powder to make a color lighter or darker. We can a little with different top coats, and the temp or duration of the baking.

With paint an expert can mix your paint to be a little darker or lighter, or they can use many techniques and experience to match existing paint. With powder it kinda is what it is, and cant be manipulated much from the intended color

Last edited:
This is a 07/08 ZX6R front fender with a sample of my Kawi green powder

Close enough for most people when doing rims etc, I like to add clear to it to make it even a close match. Most people go for it
IMG_1138.jpg

I was able to find the code for the ELR bike. Its 46621 in PPG. As BrianP mentioned it's slightly darker than the modern colours.

I got it from a guy i was sitting beside in a hotel bar and we got to talking. He claimed to work for PPG and that PPG did the original lime green mix for Kawasaki and he emailed me this code. Initially I thought he was just a drunk in a bar but he does have a PPG email address :)

A friend used it on his VRRA bike and it looks spot on, but bear in mind I didn't have anything to compare it to.

I also don't know if its possible to cross reference it with other paint brands.

If your friend that's doing the work works in a body shop he should be able to get PPG. If not I have bought PPG paint in the past from CHC Paint and Body. There is one on Bullock Drive in Markham but I think there is also one in the west end.

Good luck with the project. I always though that the Eddie Lawson bike was just so cool

Last edited:
I also saw one of the 1200R replicas that had been painted but instead of the Kawasaki screw on badges on the tank, the screw holes had been filled and they had used white decals instead. I though this looked good as well. Maybe something else to consider

Thanks to all.

So I've decided black frame and wheels powder coated

I'll send the PPG paint code to my friend. If not I can pick it up. I like The decal idea as well. This board is a gold mine of information - Thanks Delboy

Johnny, pm me a phone number or email

Back
Top Bottom