10 day temp permit for safety | GTAMotorcycle.com

10 day temp permit for safety

trainerdude

Hello,

I am a new M1 rider who purchased my first bike on Friday. I am just making sure my plans to get it home and on the road are correct.

Can I go on Monday and get a temp permit for this to take the bike to a garage for a safety and then ride back to the MTO to get the rest of the stuff taken care of? seems cheaper than hauling it.

I will have insurance arranged first thing monday..not sure how long that takes but I believe its same day. So I think I just take the ownership and do that transfer at the same time as the 10 day permit correct?

Thanks for the help

Hello,

I am a new M1 rider who purchased my first bike on Friday. I am just making sure my plans to get it home and on the road are correct.

Can I go on Monday and get a temp permit for this to take the bike to a garage for a safety and then ride back to the MTO to get the rest of the stuff taken care of? seems cheaper than hauling it.

I will have insurance arranged first thing monday..not sure how long that takes but I believe its same day. So I think I just take the ownership and do that transfer at the same time as the 10 day permit correct?

Thanks for the help

Yes and yes,

congrats, ride safe.

Practice braking in parking lot first, each bike has their own braking feel and limits.

Be sure to get the ownership transfer part of the slip signed by the current owner.

...and if it has 2 owners, both of them have to sign the ownership and bill of sale.

Learned that the hard way.

...and if it has 2 owners, both of them have to sign the ownership and bill of sale.

Learned that the hard way.

Thanks for the tip! Just one owner and I have the ownership slip and a bill of sale. It wasn't plated prior so I hope that doesn't pose an issue....

Thanks everyone for the responses. Hope all goes well and I can be riding this bike home tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip! Just one owner and I have the ownership slip and a bill of sale. It wasn't plated prior so I hope that doesn't pose an issue....

It might. When you look at the top of the ownership is it listed as FIT or UNFIT?

I don't know if it's the same for Motorcycles as it is for cars but you usually cannot get a Temp permit for an Unfit vehicle. You need a safety

Maybe someone else can Chime in as I am not 100% on that.

I don't know if it's the same for Motorcycles as it is for cars but you usually cannot get a Temp permit for an Unfit vehicle. You need a safety

Maybe someone else can Chime in as I am not 100% on that.

I think your right. I believe i read that someplace as well. I will just rent a trailer from U-hual and then book an appointment tomorrow for a safety. Would have been nice to ride it there, but it will have to wait a little longer for the first ride.

Yeah UNF means no temp sticker.

Also if the seller has not registered the bike under their name, they're technically not the owner of the bike. If you got a signature of the previous owner on the ownership, dont bother giving MTO the bill of sale. Just tell whatever the price you like to pay tax on.

Yeah UNF means no temp sticker.

Also if the seller has not registered the bike under their name, they're technically not the owner of the bike. If you got a signature of the previous owner on the ownership, dont bother giving MTO the bill of sale. Just tell whatever the price you like to pay tax on.

The previous owner had the bike registered under their name, they just didn't plate it. It was meant for his wife, but she hurt her knee and couldn't ride...he has his own 1100. It was only driven around a parking lot after building it. (got it from a motorcycle school with a lot of the parts off it...so he had to put them all back on it)

Looks like I can rent a trailer from u-hual for about $40...will do that and take it in for a safety...heard good things about Ted at Rosey Toes.

I would use bike towing services from kijiji, They're about $60. No need to bend your back getting trailer hook up and ties cables.

The previous owner had the bike registered under their name, they just didn't plate it. It was meant for his wife, but she hurt her knee and couldn't ride...he has his own 1100. It was only driven around a parking lot after building it. (got it from a motorcycle school with a lot of the parts off it...so he had to put them all back on it)

Looks like I can rent a trailer from U-Haul for about $40...will do that and take it in for a safety...heard good things about Ted at Rosey Toes.

U-Haul trailer rental is only 15 bucks plus tax for the day

You definately can *not* get a temp sticker for any vehicle in UNF (Unfit) status. Basically, whoevers name is on the ownership transferred it into their name but without having had a safety certificate to present at the same time...so yeah, it transfers to your name, but you loose the FIT status that would give you that 10 days leeway for the temp.

Back
Top Bottom