Recently obtained full M after foolishly letting M2 expire. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recently obtained full M after foolishly letting M2 expire.

dbworld4k

This is a question for the insurance experts/brokers on this forum.

- In Summer 2010, I obtained my M2 through a Rider Training course
- I let it expire in August 2015
- I retook the M1/M2 this spring and got my full M in May 2016.

How do insurance companies view my profile? Some tell me it's as good as just being a new M2 rider, despite having owned a M2 for a full five years already. One would expect with the recently obtained M, it would help me shop for better rates...

Can someone in the know shed some light on this?

Thank you.

I thought Insurance companies are counting years with insurance coverage and NOT just years that you are holding a licence.
So if OP never got a bike insured with his original M2, he would still be starting at zero.

Last edited:
I thought Insurance companies are counting years with insurance coverage and NOT just years that you are holding a licence.
So if OP never got a bike insured with his original M2, he would still be starting at zero.

I think that only applies to 4 wheelers

How do insurance companies view my profile? Some tell me it's as good as just being a new M2 rider, despite having owned a M2 for a full five years already. One would expect with the recently obtained M, it would help me shop for better rates...

Thank you.

how old are you?

What kind of bike is it?

Do you plan to bring over car/home?

Those are the things allstate wants so be prepared before buying into the hype

how old are you?

What kind of bike is it?

Do you plan to bring over car/home?

Those are the things allstate wants so be prepared before buying into the hype

Yeah I've heard they prefer 30+ with a home.

I'm 29 with a KTM RC390. Looking to switch into a 600 this year, but I've a feeling I'll need to wait until next year so the full M shows as being insured under it for 12 months...

Last edited:
I've had companies ask me how many years have I been insured, followed by asking if I've ever had any gaps in my insurance over the past 'X' years, followed by a "why"?

My scenario was that I was involved in a collision with an animal so I was bike-less while searching for a new one.

Unfortunately and this is the case of many riders that let their M2 expire, you would be treated as a new rider, once you let your driver's license expire you lose all the riding experience you had and have to start all over again.
It's no different from the G2 license, if you don't get you G before your G2 expires you start all over.

Unfortunately and this is the case of many riders that let their M2 expire, you would be treated as a new rider, once you let your driver's license expire you lose all the riding experience you had and have to start all over again.
It's no different from the G2 license, if you don't get you G before your G2 expires you start all over.
I see you deleted your previous posted that stated the opposite of what your post shows now... I supposed you were misinformed?

I also never heard back from you after speaking to you last week, being told I should expect a return email/call on this topic after you looked into it with your colleague.

Thank you.

Hi dbworld4k,

If I were writing you a policy, I would have to take into consideration how long you have had motorcycle insurance history, you auto history for any At-Fault accidents. Also I would tell you that if you are looking at a sport bike a car OR house would have to come over. But since you have your M I may have to do a discretion (get permission) to write which would probably go through. Since you let your license expire we would be able to give the history since it was not more than 12 months. It would be something that we could overcome.

The major parts that we look at:

- Age.
- MC Insurance history.
- Auto Insurance History (for AF Claims).
- Class of license (M2+) will determine eligibility.

I hope this answers your questions.

- Vinnie

Back
Top Bottom