Armoured vest | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Armoured vest

Well good luck landing on your back. If you do without touching down on your hands, forearms or elbows first you'll likely be flying in the air and landing so hard its not gonna do jack ****. Anyone that thinks it looks cool is a clown who probably thinks dressing like a rap artist as a grown man is cool too...

Don't you know? When people crash in a ****** vest they always make sure to enter 'bullet time' mode before touching the ground....

Well good luck landing on your back. If you do without touching down on your hands, forearms or elbows first you'll likely be flying in the air and landing so hard its not gonna do jack ****. Anyone that thinks it looks cool is a clown who probably thinks dressing like a rap artist as a grown man is cool too...

Lol. Then why do they force 'us' to wear back protectors at race tracks if the risk is so low? Remember, there aren't any soccer moms, transport trucks, etc at the track, just other bikes.
The point of the back protector is to disperse the impact against your back. It essentially spreads 20 pounds of force directed at one spot on your back into 1 pound of force across a wider area.
I would love someone to explain to me how protecting your limbs from abrasion are more important than protecting your spine.

I wasn't saying wear one or the other. I was just trying to figure out how wearing just a T-shirt is ok, while wearing a vest with a protector in it is 'dumb'

Last edited:
Lol. Then why do they force 'us' to wear back protectors at race tracks if the risk is so low? Remember, there aren't any soccer moms, transport trucks, etc at the track, just other bikes.
The point of the back protector is to disperse the impact against your back. It essentially spreads 20 pounds of force directed at one spot on your back into 1 pound of force across a wider area.
I would love someone to explain to me how protecting your limbs from abrasion are more important than protecting your spine.

They also require you to wear full leathers...back protector deals with impact force, and the suit deals with the actual slide. The thing is, impact armour is designed to go UNDER the suit, and 9 times out of 10 when people ride with them on the streets, why are wearing nothing on top of them.

Both is best. My street gear is textile, but I also wear an Alpinestars CE2 back protector under my jacket, just in case.

I wasn't saying wear one or the other. I was just trying to figure out how wearing just a T-shirt is ok, while wearing a vest with a protector in it is 'dumb'

Because highside....if you're riding hard enough on the road where there's potential to highside you should probably be in a suit with a proper back protector anyways. Nothing about wearing it is 'dumb' other than the false pretense of 'safety'. Personally I just think they look stupid.

Hi wantsabike...

Remember what I was wearing when we last met up? Vents well when I am riding.

However, there are other mesh jackets that vent better.

This is my other mesh jacket and it flows air better than my Olympia one. The styling may not be to your taste but there is some plastic sliders, CE rated armor in the elbows and shoulders and the backrest protector has been upgraded to a CE level 2 one. Lots of nice ones out there that flow a whack of air. I rode in a tshirt when I went to pick this jacket up and rode back wearing this jacket. It felt really comparable comfortwise but obviously a lot more protection than nothing.

Go to Two Wheel and check out some of the nicer A* stuff. I owned one of those Stryker vests for awhile. It is CE rated but not much chest protection so you are really only getting back protection. I flipped it and went more the mesh route because I just did not feel safe in it.

In most offs I think you should be just as concerned about road rash/abrasion as much as impact. Leather is obviously better than textile most times and in turn textile is better than mesh. However, a decent mesh jacket uses Cordura, Ayramid, or another abrasion resistant fabric in the areas vulnerable to abrasion and mesh elsewhere.

Check out some other mesh jackets before you totally commit to the armored vest.

Look I asked for thoughts and input on the vest don't wanna see listen to people argue over dumb stuff that isnt needed so please save it for pm and not clutter the thread thanks

You've been here 7 years and you're asking for no arguing over dumb stuff and not cluttering a thread? Seriously?

I'd be curious to learn more about the medical facts behind most motorcycle accidents. Elbow and shoulder armour would (in my mind) seem more useful than back or chest armor given how I'm thinking most people crash. Abrasion resistant materials are just as important (if not the most important) - again - given the nature of what I'm thinking to be a typical crash.

An Icon Stryker Vest covering the chest and back seem (to me) to be pointless.
In my humble opinion, chest & back protection is only needed at high speed for spine & kidney damage. Maybe to the vital organs too. Obviously if you're hitting that speed then you better have elbow & shoulder protection because they're most likely gonna have permanent damage. But people who wear vests only are so tough when they go down, the asphalt don't come towards them, it runs away.

so i guess those legs are prime areas... but shoulders are too so the stryker vest won't cover that unfortunately
I guess you've been thinking about shorts & jackets only

Squids be like:

image.gif

There was a case where a woman was hit from behind. Posted somewhere on this site. She said, had she worn at least a back protector she would not be in a wheelchair.
The last thing I am going to do is judge what you wear.
No peer pressure from me. Your life, not mine.
I have stopped at quite a few accidents. Not a pretty site.
As many have said, "Dress for the slide and not the ride" Your choice.

What about a armoured hoodie or shirt like I've seen they have shoulder/elbow/back might be a bit cooler and a bit lighter to wear then my big jacket ....

What about a armoured hoodie or shirt like I've seen they have shoulder/elbow/back might be a bit cooler and a bit lighter to wear then my big jacket ....
There was a thread a few weeks ago about kevlar hoodies some people ordered them. Not sure if armored though.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Could always pair up the vest with an armoured hoodie or the new button up lumberjack type shirts.
Less protection than a full jacket but it's still better than nothing, or the vest on its own.

Also if you have a few $$, consider an airbag vest.

[video=youtube;TaUu3YjD9-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUu3YjD9-o&app=desktop[/video]

helmet protects - head
gloves - hands
boots/shows - feet
helmet visor/sunglasses - eyes
jeans/pants - legs
jacket - upper body

spine - ???? after your head, damage to the spine and you are done...why not protect your spine? It's cheap and easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom